Additional S&S Strobe or Ring Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindysoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for light advice!
I currently have an Olympus PEN MFT camera in an Oly housing with 1 S&S YS-D1 strobe. I'm a total noob to UW photography but I have a chance to get another S&S strobe (YS-D2J) and/or a Weefine Ring Light and/or a video light while in Asia.

I haven't mastered the 1 strobe photography at all and am still learning, but since I am going on a macro photography dive trip very soon, I thought it would make sense to add to my rig. And of course to future proof so that I can grow to take better stills and eventually video.

Here are the options I'm playing with:
1. Get an additional S&S strobe (YS-D2J, since I can't find another YS-D1 used or new)
2. Get a ring light (That means I'd be shooting with 1 YS-D1 strobe and the ring light for my macro shots. I figure this would give me some lighting options ie. turn off YS-D1 and just use the ring light or vice-versa, or use both?)
3. Get a ring light and the 6000 lumen torch (wide, spot, red options). I like the look the ring light creates on macro photography so thought might be nice to have one. As for the video torch, I thought I could use it as a night dive torch as well, and will provide be enough lumen to shoot video eventually.

Will I get strange stills if I use the torch as a secondary light when trying to light up the shadows from my YS-D1 strobe?)

4. Get all 3 (YS-D2J, ring light, video torch). This would allow me to play with the ring light to get that ring light effect, and then allow me to shoot wide angle stills and video. Or am I incorrect with this research?

Eager to hear your thoughts, advice, experience and recommendations! :)

Olympus 60mm macro lens? The ring light would probably only be good right in at minimum focus distance, ring lights tend to work best if you are close. The torch may struggle to match the output of the strobe, If it were me I would go with two strobes as it will give you the best flexibility and most options.

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. I didn't get much of a response, so before you replied I went ahead and got the ring light. :I

I've thought about this too as I currently shoot with a single S&S YS-01, and I'd echo the recommendation for a second strobe. The Weefine ring light 3000 looks very cool, but I think the only advantage they hold over a second strobe is size and simplicity. A second strobe should be able to achieve similar lighting capabilities with practice, and also be able to serve your wide-angle shooting. I'll be going with a second strobe myself when I decide to put some more investment into my kit.

A video light is a different consideration and shouldn't be viewed as any kind of replacement for a strobe (too weak). I think setups that try to "do it all" end up compromising everywhere, so it's better to decide ahead of time whether you want video or stills and just aim for that.

The second strobe was a bit more than my budget this time around, so I thought I'd get the ring light.

I couldn't get the focus light but I think that will come next time I upgrade my rig with the extra strobe :)

Thanks for everyone's input! Greatly appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom