Cold in 55 Degree Waters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But does he layer it? IE, BOTH?
OP said he was cold in 55°F water using the Fusion Thermal layer. I am kind of slender and tend to get cold fast, and I know I am toasty in 38°F water with just a wicking layer underneath the Fusion. In 55°F I would be using my MK2 underwear.
The hypothyroidism as a possible/likely explanation rings true to me.

Artics and Santo bz400 together, truly the Michelin man, I'd have to give it up if I had to go to that Xtreme.

I am kind of slender and tend to get cold fast, and I know I am toasty in 38°F water with just a wicking layer underneath the Fusion. .
If anyone is toasty in 38F water you may need a medical exam too! Tolerable maybe, but toasty? The coldest I've been in was maybe 42 and that was tough! However I did just do a whole week of diving at God’s Pocket in BC and was comfortable at 44F with my Thermolution and Waterproof D1 Hybrid suit. I think 6 fewer degrees would have been harsh.

Richard and I were wearing wool glove liners plus Fourth Element liners inside our dry gloves. I also had two pair of wool socks on and I was still cold. I ordered a 10mm hood for next time. :)

So... only arctics and your surprised you get cold?
And blaming hypothyroidism for it??
COME ON!
Get a proper undergarment to layer with the arctics.
The weazle is used by one of the finns doing the longest, deepest coldest cavedives... Should be good enough...
I use the kwark. I layer it with 1 or 2 layers of thin merino wool, and a heating vest and stay warm for 1,5-2hrs in 4c water.
My buddies layer the arctic with the Santi BZ 400. and 12+ (55) degrees is still quite some months untill we see...
At the moment, we have 7C and I dive.
Ursuit Soft Dura (About the same thing as your one), Kwark, heating vest (didn't turn on last dive) 1 layer of merino wool. Proper dry gloves with felted merino inner gloves and a 10mm Waterproof Hood.

Get a proper hood, merino wicking undergarment, a proper undergarment on the top and some really nice wool gloves.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it wasn't clear in my original post where I indicated I was using a "Smartwool" merino wool layer as my based under the arctics.

As I had mentioned in previous posts, I am using a well fitted 7mm hood. My head is comfortable throughout the dive, never feels cold. I also have a dryglove system with fourth element under gloves. My hands are also comfortable.

I'm trying to avoid the additional cost of a heating vest/system if there are options for the waters I dive which by comparison to most are not that cold.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess it wasn't clear in my original post where I indicated I was using a "Smartwool" merino wool layer as my based under the arctics.

As I had mentioned in previous posts, I am using a well fitted 7mm hood. My head is comfortable throughout the dive, never feels cold. I also have a dryglove system with fourth element under gloves. My hands are also comfortable.

I'm trying to avoid the additional cost of a heating vest/system if there are options for the waters I dive which by comparison to most are not that cold.

Looks like we dive the same local lake in AZ. I didn't read all the responses, so forgive me if this has been suggested already, but the key (in my opinion and that of many Icelandic drysuit divers) is to add a warm mid-layer to your setup. Something like the smartwool base, a 200 gram-400 gram wool shirt or jacket, and then your DUI or other heavier thinsulate undersuit on top of the mid layer. When "our" lake is <55 deg F, I wear a 200 gram Woolpower merino base, 400 gram Woolpower merino mid-layer, and then usually my DUI XM250 (or less) as the top and am perfectly warm throughout the dive. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom