As a CMAS 1 diver, should I go for SSI Deep diver+Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had only done 12 dives when I did SSI deep diver and nitrox combined. I had 1 to 1 instruction and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having done the course I agree with what BobDBF says in #12 about the risks of new divers being deep. It is a long way back to the surface. I did the deep course to look at wrecks, I enjoy being able to go deep when needed but the problem is you run out of gas too quickly. If your eventual aim is to spend a decent amount of time deeper than 35m you should probable choose the course that best leads to trimix / technical diving or CCR.
Congrats! Yes I can imagine the air consuming at that depth.
Well my aim should be, for now, a decent diver.... I will start to take the CMAS 2 course on Thursday. I will share with you guys my progress.
Cheers

Since the OP is CMAS 1, and is making an end run around AOW or CMAS 2 by getting deep training, he may find that it might not work the way he intends. It depends on the operators requirement of AOW certification for a dive, since Deep and Nitrox are neither AOW nor CMAS 2.

Bob
Hi, Bob. The diving school agreed that I pay a small surcharge to the CMAS 2 course fee, and I can get an AOW cert.

Hi, Bob. The diving school agreed that I pay a small surcharge to the CMAS 2 course fee, and I can get an AOW cert.
Why the AOW cert? CMAS 2 * is considered equivalent to PADI Rescue diver.
Note that i say "considered". :)

Why the AOW cert? CMAS 2 * is considered equivalent to PADI Rescue diver.
Note that i say "considered". :)
Well, Padi is more recognized in some country/region. And some diving clubs require a cert with an issuance date, which my CMAS 1 does not have. It is weird but I am happy to have dual cert anyway.

Might come in handy if diving with an op who doesn't know about CMAS. Or it might be a waste of money, who knows? When I certified OW, I was offered the option of paying for the drysuit specialty card (we certified OW in drysuits), and I figured it might be worth the money if I were to travel to dive somewhere where my now 100+ logged drysuit dives weren't considered good enough to rent a drysuit. Haven't needed that card yet, but I don't regret paying those few €€€ for the cert card.

Well, Padi is more recognized in some country/region. And some diving clubs require a cert with an issuance date, which my CMAS 1 does not have. It is weird but I am happy to have dual cert anyway.
Oh, okay. Good to know. Would be strange for an op to don't know CMAS, but okay.
Btw: My cmas card seems to have an issue date.

Back
Top Bottom