Regulators - Looking for suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've trialed a Sherwood at a dive spring and absolutely LOVED it. But then I was told it doesn't work as well in salt water.
whoever told you that... NEVER ask for scuba equipment advice again.. just saying.

maybe ask them why? Specific gravity? I am sure they will look confused.

Seriously, bad, bad silly and not good advice

If you poke around the classified area, I'm sure you can *cough* find some good regs *cough* at an attractive price. :wink:

LMAO!! :D

@seagirl1990 Just my opinion: The first thing you need to decide is a more long-term decision. Do you want to get your regs serviced locally, or are you okay with mailing them off?

If you're okay with mailing, then the sky's the limit. If you want to get stuff serviced locally, then you should figure out what shop you would want to use and probably consider buying from them.

I have not tried Deep6 regulators, but everything I know about them makes me believe they are top notch. And, if you are in Atlanta, you *might* even be able to get them serviced locally, as I think Deep6 may be based in the Atlanta area.

Personally, I have regs from ScubaPro, Atomic, Dive Rite, and Hollis. IMO, they all make good regs.

The only issue I know of with salt water is that some regs have a 1st stage that is not environmentally sealed. That means you should give it a more thorough fresh water rinse after using one. In other words, it's really not that big a deal.

My most recently acquired regs are my Atomic Z2 set. You can get them sealed or unsealed. I got the sealed version. They cost a little bit more up front and a little bit extra to service. But, it saves me worrying about it if I don't have the time to rinse them as well as I should right after diving... One thing to note about Atomic regs. Unlike most manufacturers, their least expensive regs are pretty much identical to their most expensive. The differences in prices are mostly based on the materials used (and whether the 2nd stage comes with a swivel fitting). The more expensive Atomic regs have more corrosion resistance, are lighter, or both (plus, generally, a swivel fitting). Not like most other manufacturers where less expensive also means lower performing.

If you're okay with the potential for slightly less convenient servicing, the Deep6 Signature regs are probably the best value on the market and one of the best, period. If you want to stick with something you can buy in a shop and has the potential to be easier to get serviced, I think the Atomic Z2 setup is also one of the best values on the market. It's not very much more expensive than the Deep6 setup and is really a top notch setup.

I also have the comparable ScubaPro setup, which is a Mk 25 EVO + G260. Now that I have and can compare the Atomic Z2, I would take the Z2 over the SP setup. The SP setup is not (and can't be) sealed and it's quite a bit more expensive.

The middle of the road ScubaPro setup would, in my opinion, be a Mk 17 + G260. The Mk 17 is a sealed diaphragm 1st stage, but it has no bottom port. The Z2 has a bottom port. And the Z2 is also still quite a bit less expensive than a Mk 17+G260 setup.

I dive a z2 as my primary reg and have a deep 6 on my pony tank. I prefer how the z2 breathes over the deep 6, but not by a lot. Bang for the buck wise, the deep 6 regs can't be beat though.

I am not disagreeing with you, but one thing the OP needs to remember is preference is always subjective. The other thing to remember is tuning can affect performance. I used to have a Sherwood Magnum and it was ok, then it was serviced by someone that actually knew what he was doing and it worked great.

Also I am not disputing the Deep6 makes a great regulator, I never used the product so I do not know if it is good or bad. However, A first and second stage with hose is $388.00 while the Atomic is $440. So up front at least there is not a huge difference in cost. Especially, if you get a deal on the Atomic. I know that Deep6 gives you a free service and parts, which may make it more economical in the long run.

Another vote for deep 6 Deep 6 Gear

I love my set. Their turn around time for service is extremely fast and you just can’t beat free parts. You’ll also get your first service for free

I've never done mail-order service, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm a proponent of having regs you can get serviced at your local shop(s). In fact, I'd add have them serviced at the branch of a shop that actually does the work. (Some have several shops, but their techs all work out of one shop.)

My rationale: It's possible after servicing you'll need a minor tweak. In my case, I had a second stage (secondary) that had a really slow freeflow on the surface. Everything "spec'd out" at the shop before and after, and of course the free flow only showed up at the dive site. They "de-tuned" it a bit and it was fine. With a local shop, I took it in and had the "tweak" done while I waited. I could have done this myself, or I could have mail-ordered it. But I was already at the shop getting refills and it was done immediately and for free.

In my case, I've got backup regs I carry with me. This was no big deal on the dive site. If I hadn't had a backup, I should have thumbed the dive but might have done something stupid like tried to dive, hoping the leak went away under higher ambient pressure than 1 ATA at the surface. And if I had thumbed the dive, I would either have done the fix myself or sent it off for a couple of weeks minimum....

As I sent to you earlier another vote for Deep 6. Many people prefer dealing directly with a LDS. Depending on where you are around Atlanta Deep 6 may actually be close enough to be a LDS for you :)

Because she is in Atlanta, Diver's Supply is a local shop. The best deals I have seem so far are from them. If she needs something for cold water then this is a deal. If not then this is even less expensive.

Because she is in Atlanta, Diver's Supply is a local shop. The best deals I have seem so far are from them. If she needs something for cold water then this is a deal. If not then this is even less expensive.
First one is sold out.

One of the most important things after buying a regulator is where it will be serviced when the need arises. Keep that in mind when shopping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom