Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@caruso
"I picked up a tip this past week while diving in Florida. I noticed a diver walking around on the boat with his mask on backwards, and the lightbulb came on. I've been diving for almost 40 years and never even thought of it, it's so simple and solves an annoying issue.....'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
40 years ? 1979 ? 1980 ?
Your horizons have suddenly been expanded in the world of recreational diving...

Gotta wonder where the OP was diving all those years... :confused:

Gotta wonder where the OP was diving all those years... :confused:

It's not that I haven't ever seen divers walking around on a boat with the mask on the back of their heads. It just took me the better part of 40 years for me to realize there was a good reason for it. It just sort of happens that I've been recently looking into ways to completely eliminate mask fogging and have done all the tricks including burning, Mr. Clean Eraser, toothpaste etc, but still got the occasional fogging. I've been avoiding putting on my mask until the very last moment before diving due to advice I received here and elsewhere and found it to be an inconvenience (but it definitely helped with the fogging issue), then I saw the backwards mask dude walking around and I was like.. "I get it".

I don’t think it matters what you do with your mask but whatever’s comfortable and works for you. I find when it’s around the neck, it gets in the way of your face. On the forehead, it’s easily knocked off, and on the back, it’s make you look a like a “DIR” (whatever that means) macho man. So of course I wear it on the back...

Nobody can win an arguments on scubaboard.

On a side-note:
So my solution is to have a suicide clip on my BC
That’s a great solution to an avoidable problem you’re making yourself

Nobody can win an arguments on scubaboard.

The point isn’t to win arguments. The point is to listen to other people and maybe see things a different way, and possibly even learn something new that works better than what you have been doing.

That’s why I’m here, anyway.

Shore diver here, who does long surface swims on my back.

I don't like to wear it while swimming. I don't like to have it on my forehead or on back of forehead, or around my neck, as it is annoying in all three locations.

I used to take it off and put it on my arm, but two summers ago my mask swam away from me undetected and I lost it. Stupid mask.

So my solution is to have a suicide clip on my BC, and I put the mask there. (I adopted this after I saw a buddy doing this, and he also carried his fins there when not in use -- sometimes I do that too, but not generally).

Cue concerns about suicide clips, bc there can never be a perfect solution.
You're definitely going to die. I don't really use suicide clips because I had one get stuck open and I lost the light that was attached to it.

Hey have you ever seen one of these? Amazon.com: Scuba Choice Scuba Diving BC Fin and Mask Keeper with Quick Release Loop Lanyard, Black: Sports & Outdoors @mermaid0sea gave me one a couple years ago. Simple, but easy and effective storage of mask and fins when walking/swimming to your dive site from the shore. One of the better miscellaneous junk items that dive shops might have pinned to the wall.

I'm kind of bummed that people get trained to store their mask around their neck. I thought I had been clever and figured something out on my own.

Just one more.

This instructor seems to be OK with a mask on the forehead of one of his students.

gettyimages-515350630-1024x1024.jpg

I spent a lot of time looking for a picture of this instructor with a mask on his forehead, but could not find one. There were, however, a lot of pictures with him and his friends wearing red knit watch caps.

Some one else pointed out that 'mask on forehead' is an indicator of a problem

A lot of what we are taught is you look for indicators of a problem, during and after a dive. [1]
(failure to respond to signals, looking up towards the surface etc.)

As such, some actions are considered bad practice. Leaving cylinders standing upright, I was taught always to lie cylinders down, or tie them to the rail (on a boat).

Personally, I put masks on foreheads as bad practice. Which I think is one of the reasons that posed pictures (head shots) of divers tend to show the mask around the neck, or on the back of the head. You very seldom see a picture of a diver with the mask on the forehead.

I don't know how many of you have seen video of people in difficulty in public swimming pools. It is often very difficult to identify the person in trouble. Lifeguards are taught to look for specific indicators. Lack of an indicator does not mean someone is ok, similarly, an indicator does not mean they are in trouble, it is a cumulative information that helps the lifeguard.

There are no dive police. You will not receive a fine, you will not loose your dive card. HOWEVER, there are people I won't dive with, or at least avoid if possible, there are a number of reasons for this, from personality, behaviour, safety, etc.

Some I am wary of, having only just met them on the boat. There is a wonderful phrase
"All the gear - no idea". Thats what instructors and DM look for when a new group gets on the boat!

[1] - I know some agencies wait until you are an instructor or rescue diver before they focus on this. I was taught very early on, and each subsequent qualification, so its ingrained.

The first person I met in the wild with a mask on the back on his head made me thing “oh, one of them..” He’d signed up with a non diver mate for a try dive and not said he knew how to dive. Then he made comments contrary to what the instructor conducting the try dive was saying. A proper bit of wannabe behaviour. I am with clownfish on this. Posting pictures of (presumably) skilled divers wearing their masks that way only serves to illustrate the sadness of it when out of place.

The actual GUE/DIR people I had met didn’t seem to be doing that. Perhaps it is a local conditions thing, not being in the pool outside a cave entrance.

I am quite severe with people I train that they keep the mask on in the water and the regulator in. Diving where there are waves and ending up unable to see or inhaling as a wave comes past can lead to unnecessary discomfort and risk.

On comfort, somewhat stressed divers will reach the surface and take out a regulator and push up their mask. New trainees especially. More stressed ones might completely take off a mask. I’d not go so far as to call it a signal, but it is a sign. Like constantly holding on to the inflator hose.

I understand that some agencies suggest debriefing in the water. Where I like to dive that would mean debriefing between a couple of lanes of cargo ships, so it is considered more sensible to do it on the boat.

To me the defining quality of a wannabe is doing something they have seen done, but with no understanding as to why it is done or where it is appropriate.

I am quite severe with people I train that they keep the mask on in the water and the regulator in. Diving where there are waves and ending up unable to see or inhaling as a wave comes past can lead to unnecessary discomfort and risk.

Ditto

I am pretty sure you've dived Chesil !

I have experienced the washing machine effect and the face plant, and the inability to get back to my feet.
As surface cover, I've been in the surf rescuing those knocked off their feet, (and have been rescued myself).
Whilst uncomfortable, its a lot less stressful if you still have your regulator in, and your mask on, even in 6 inches!

Chesil Experience Go to 15:15 for the exit. Not my dive, not my group, just representative
Another Chesil Exit

The point isn’t to win arguments. The point is to listen to other people and maybe see things a different way, and possibly even learn something new that works better than what you have been doing.

That’s why I’m here, anyway.
That’s what I meant there is no point trying to “win” because it’s not about that. I completely agree with you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom