Options for leaking DSS Torus wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you hearing the leak from inside of the wing itself? most of the time those leaks are from the inflator mechanism

I don't think it is from the inflator. When I inflate the wing by blowing it up, you can hear gas escaping and it sounds like it's right near the dump valve. It only does that when it's very tightly inflated. Once it starts to get a little less fully inflated, you don't hear gas coming out, it just deflates a little over time.

That being said, the inflator DOES need to be replaced, because it's sticky and was auto inflating when hooked up to a tank. I was going to do that, when I realized the wing was also leaking. I can certainly replace it and confirm, but I think the leak is basically the opposite side of the wing from the inflator. Maybe I'll do that when I get home later...

I would ponder having a zipper installed.... Seems a best of both worlds solution...

I agree...... If you're capable of putting in a proper zipper, that might be safer and easier than trying to sew the wing back up and would facilitate future patching.

Put some soapy water in a spray bottle and hose it down and inflate. Inside the cover won't pinpoint the leak, but it should give you a good idea of the general area. You might be surprised and find that it's just a leaky dump that you can fix with some aquaseal or a new dump valve.

@divad I have installed zippers on some pillows I made... but nothing on a curved edge. Intimidating...

@JohnnyC I tried that, but because the leak is coming out of the part of the outer fabric that's kind of thick and woven, it didn't really show the leak. I think on any other part of the wing that would have worked better. I'm not sure of the purpose of that part of the wing cover. Maybe to drain water out from between the bladder and the cover? My doubles wings have grommets in that area.

I fixed a slow leak in an Oxycheq wing by disassembling and re-assembling (tighter) the inflator fitting @ the shoulder It was leaking from the inside). Might be worth trying on your exhaust valve. You might need the cheap tool that's made for that.

Put some soapy water in a spray bottle and hose it down and inflate. Inside the cover won't pinpoint the leak, but it should give you a good idea of the general area. You might be surprised and find that it's just a leaky dump that you can fix with some aquaseal or a new dump valve.
Yes,. do this FIRST.

What about just opening up one of the exterior seams - like the one along the bottom?

When you sew it back up, it would be sewn with external stitching, instead of the internal stitching it has now, but is that really a big deal?

With the external seam open, once the leak is fixed, you could roll the bladder up on the inside and use a big gym clip through the center hole to hold the bladder from the outside, rolled up and well away from the opening that needs to be sewn shut. Sew it up, then remove the gym clip and inflate to get the bladder to unroll and expand in to position.

Definitely making sure it's not leaking from the inflator or the OPV is first on the priority list.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is acceptable leakage on a wing? I have 2 DSS wings, a LCD 30 and 20, they lose about a breath or two overnight. I was never able to figure out where they are leaking from. The 30 has a brand new bladder.

Not to hijack the thread, but what is acceptable leakage on a wing?.

The Oxycheq one I referred to probably always leaked since new but I didn't care or notice it. I only "fixed" it when I decided to sell it. Unless you're using it as a life jacket (and you can't swim), it's probably irrelevant.

The Oxycheq one I referred to probably always leaked since new but I didn't care or notice it. I only "fixed" it when I decided to sell it. Unless you're using it as a life jacket (and you can't swim), it's probably irrelevant.

I want to sell them also that is why I want to fix them.

On the 20 lb, I tried swapping the inflator and dump valves with known good ones. No Joy

On the 30 lb. it came back from DSS with a leak somewhere. Tobin of course blamed me. I disassembled and reassembled it and it holds air better but still not perfect. When the wing was outside the shell I did assemble it and and checked for leaks, I could not find any. I wondered if there is some microscopic gaps in the welds that let the air out. On a pin hole leak a wing will usually be flat in an hour or two. This is weird that I lose a breath or two overnight. I guess I could try replacing the bladder flange gaskets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom