Wetsuit advice for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3mm long is always very convenient for the 26 c/78f water. Walking in watch where you are going, stepping over some rocks and dead coral pieces. You are a big group so just help eachother and don.t hurry. Small steps walking sideways and supporting each other.

Some relatively more easy entries will be the following:

*Te amo (not in weekends, its crowded with bbq people :wink: )
*Invisibles
*Pink beach
*Something special
*Webers joy

Have fun and bonbini on Bonaire soon!

This is why I love Scubaboard. You all are great!

Wondering:
Are you worried about overheating in a 3mm or 2mm full suit in the water? Not really - or?
Or is it about while on land?
Do you overheat even if the suit is wet?
If no, can you keep it wet?
Still no good?

Tend to get overheated when dry and don't seem to cool down when I get in the water. Ok so now I am looking at maybe getting a pair of 1.5 mm Neoprene pants and a 2mm neoprene front zip long sleeve vest as well as bringing my one piece 3mm suit.

I hate fullsuits because I pee a lot when I dive, and contrary to the adage of peeing vs lying, I don’t pee in my wetsuits. I have over 150 dives on Bonaire and haven’t worn a fullsuit since my first trip. I wear a 2/1 O’Neill neoprene top over a rash guard. For me this is perfect for 81 degrees plus. I’ll be down there the week before you this year, and the water is typically in the upper 70’s in July. I plan to use only a 3mm wetsuit jacket. I’ll have a long sleeve 3mm bladder killing shorty as backup.

Use a walking stick (trekking pole) to aide in your entries and you’ll be fine. No need for a fullsuit.

Tend to get overheated when dry and don't seem to cool down when I get in the water. Ok so now I am looking at maybe getting a pair of 1.5 mm Neoprene pants and a 2mm neoprene front zip long sleeve vest as well as bringing my one piece 3mm suit.
Not sure how much money you were considering to spend, but you may like my "go to" wetsuit for warm water. It is a very neutrally buoyant Pinnacle Inferno V-Skin with Merino Wool. It is equivalent to 2.5mm wetsuit warmth - is a full suit (I agree with others regarding protection from falls and stings- particularly fire coral in Bonaire). I have had mine for 5 years now and absolutely love it. I also love that it is machine washable.
It will take a bit longer to dry out than a wetsuit, due to the wool lining, but it is worth it. Just wring it out well and hang up in sun and wind.
As an FYI- water temps in August are going to be 82-84 degrees. I will be there for 2 weeks myself this August. Here is a link to where you can get one. Scuba.com also has them: Inferno V-skin Fullsuit

I have separate pants and jacket and love that setup. But mine are sharkskin/lavacore.

First time diver in Bonaire, been shore diving for two weeks just now in a shorty, rash guard shirt, and with a small hood. Am 69 years old, 150 total dives, also a overheater, out of shape but not fat, and not as stable as I ever was. That all said, I have only fallen a couple times with minor rash discoloration on my older, easily bruised skin. Not so bad. Maybe I'd bring rash guard pants next time. Maybe not.

Wife and I usually go in late September/ early October. We dive in full skins. For us, plenty of protection from sun and stings plus you don't have to climb in and out of them between dives. Just drop the top and a warm water jug shower. They dry quick in the breeze and keep you cool in the process. Throw on an old t-shirt, a towel over the truck seat, and head to the next site. Unless you need it for thermal protection, if you do fall, I would rather damage a cheap skin than a more pricey wetsuit. Best not to fall, so I made these for the entries and exits. Amazing how much easier they are with a little added stability (especially as you get a bit older like us :wink:).

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8232791/

All IMHO, YMMV. Have fun. :) Dive freedom...:bounce::bounce::bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom