New to scuba diving and getting gear together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only real question is, do you want a compass wrist-watch on your second hand, or do you want your compass to go on your SPG (pressure gauge)? For me, I put my compass on my pressure gauge. The only reason I would do otherwise is if I was doing cave diving.

Or get a computer with a compas built in, like any of the newer shearwater models.

Hi all first time long time to the scuba board. I'm looking for a diving computer. I found a used Oceanic ProPlug 3 and I wanted to know if there is anything better for the price?

Oceanic ProPlus 3 Scuba Diving Computer - TurboBuyer

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to get certified.

View attachment 512838
I wouldn't buy anything until you are certified and have determined scuba diving is something you really enjoy.

There are countless people who buy a bunch of gear for their anticipated open water class, only to learn they don't like diving and then take a financial hit selling their gear.

I wouldn't buy anything until you are certified and have determined scuba diving is something you really enjoy.

There are countless people who buy a bunch of gear for their anticipated open water class, only to learn they don't like diving and then take a financial hit selling their gear.
Or buy the gear in the anticipation of diving a lot and end up not managing due to "real life" limitations such as work, money, injury etc.

As a relatively new diver (certified last summer), I can relay my experiences...

We used the LDS equipment to learn on and then checkout with, simply due to the fact it is what they taught to and we didn't have enough knowledge to know what we'd want at that point.

Right after certifying and knowing the diving bug was real, I picked up a Suunto Vyper Novo and the wife a Suunto D6i, both lightly used. I'll agree with everyone here that wrist-mounted is the way to go now having dove both a console and a wrist computer. Just much easier to manage and keeps a hand free during e.g. decents/ascents. I knew I was eventually going to want AI, so made sure I was good for that. Lastly, being a bit of an 'ol fuddy-duddy, I read the Suuntos have a more conservative model which I heard in my head as "safer".

Fast forward to current day, and I'm joseing for either a Perdix AI or Teric. Reason being - user changable battery / rechargable. Given my wife's computer needed a new battery and I now know that could be every two or so years, I don't want to deal with that hassle again. Plus, much clearer now to me that the Shearwaters are the way to go both from a functionality perspective (they do it all), the build quality (virtual tanks), and customer service (touted here as the best of the best).

Soo....wanna buy a barely used Vyper Novo? J/K....sorta. :wink:

Good luck with the certification and hope to cross paths with you under the sea!

I will say that buy your second set of gear fist, similar to what @BalekFekete is saying. The whole, buy once, cry once deal is very real. Every time that I chose something because it was the cost effective version, I have since replaced it and would have been better off going for the higher end version from the beginning.

That being said, I use the Oceanic ProPlus 3 as my backup computer to my Scubapro Galileo Luna (AI and will be upgraded post grad school). I strongly recommend a analog compass in addition to any digital compass because I find them easier to use and like having the digital one as a backup with the return heading saved.

Welcome, The shearwaters are fine computers but there’s nothing wrong with more cost effective options. Also there’s nothing wrong with buying equipment before being certified you’re taking a smart step in asking for advice first.

As a relatively new diver (certified last summer), I can relay my experiences...

We used the LDS equipment to learn on and then checkout with, simply due to the fact it is what they taught to and we didn't have enough knowledge to know what we'd want at that point.

Right after certifying and knowing the diving bug was real, I picked up a Suunto Vyper Novo and the wife a Suunto D6i, both lightly used. I'll agree with everyone here that wrist-mounted is the way to go now having dove both a console and a wrist computer. Just much easier to manage and keeps a hand free during e.g. decents/ascents. I knew I was eventually going to want AI, so made sure I was good for that. Lastly, being a bit of an 'ol fuddy-duddy, I read the Suuntos have a more conservative model which I heard in my head as "safer".

Fast forward to current day, and I'm joseing for either a Perdix AI or Teric. Reason being - user changable battery / rechargable. Given my wife's computer needed a new battery and I now know that could be every two or so years, I don't want to deal with that hassle again. Plus, much clearer now to me that the Shearwaters are the way to go both from a functionality perspective (they do it all), the build quality (virtual tanks), and customer service (touted here as the best of the best).

Soo....wanna buy a barely used Vyper Novo? J/K....sorta. :wink:

Good luck with the certification and hope to cross paths with you under the sea!
Just FYI, the Vyper Novo has a user changeable battery.

I bought a used one myself for my first computer (only 15 total dives under my belt, including 12 OW/AOW training dives and the other 3 were discover SCUBA) and the guy gave me his new battery because it was in low battery mode when I bought it.

It took me about 2 minutes to change the battery myself. It's very simple.

Most dive classes I checked into required buying a mask, snorkel and booties. I found an instructor that didn't require that. He provided everything including shorty wetsuits. I learned however that even though the pool was heated it drained the heat out of me. I did my certification dives in the Caribbean and was was quite cold as well. Being relatively skinny (I have no fat on my body), I intend to dive only on cruises in the Caribbean . After getting certified I bought a full length wet suit and booties and did my first certified dives recently. The wet suit worked well and I rented everything else. If I decide to dive locally I will pick up a mask and fins but will hold off on a BCD, regulator and computer until I have more experience and know what to look for.

A lot of dive computers have user replaceable batteries, check before you buy.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom