Man-Best Friend and Our Travel Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The cartoon below in today's edition of the Cayman Compass by Caymanman (aka George Nowak, the Barefoot Man) really brought back memories and made me laugh.

Years ago we were traveling on vacation to Cozumel and my husband had stopped at the bank before we left to get some cash in small bills - about $200 I think - so it was a big wad of cash but not a large amount of money. I don't know if this is still the case, but back then the $USD was widely accepted in Mexico but it was always difficult to get change for larger bills.

As were were lining up to board the plane at the departure gate in O'Hare Airport, a Federal Agent with a dog entered the area. She had the dog check out all the passengers waiting to board the plane for Mexico, and the dog walked directly up to my husband and sat down with his nose right next to the back pocket of his jeans where he had stashed his wallet!

The agent asked my husband to step out of the line and said "Sir, are you carrying a lot of cash?" and he said "Yes, I am going on vacation!" She then asked him to produce the cash and when she saw that it was just a lot of small bills, she thanked him and let him get back in line.

I had never heard of a "cash-sniffing dog" before but that dog really knew his stuff - he went straight for my husband in a big crowd of people!

Another example, a few years ago I was walking to work from Union Train Station in downtown Chicago and it was a rainy, Summer day. I decided to cut through the Boeing Building to get out of the rain and as I was walking down a corridor toward the main exit I saw a UPS agent, wearing the usual brown shirt and shorts, leaning up against the wall casually with a bunch of packages and boxes piled up at his feet. It was a bit surprising because delivery guys in the city are usually rushing around in a big hurry.

A Security Guard with a dog walked up to him and I saw the dog check out the packages before the Guard allowed the UPS agent to continue making his deliveries. I suddenly remembered that Boeing was one of the "technological companies" that had been targeted by the UnaBomber years ago (He's a local native son - we're so proud - not!). Apparently Boeing now has all packages checked for explosives by canines before allowing them to be delivered.

I have also seen Guards and dogs patrolling areas around the Union Station, especially during times of public demonstrations and political unrest.

Those dogs are good! And I am glad that they are on the job to protect us, but it sure would make me nervous if one of them took a sudden interest in me at the airport! :wink:

CaymanMan-Drug-dogs-696x797.jpg

I have been "inspected" by Customs canine officers before. I don't know what they were trained for, but they did not bother with me.

Their expressions seemed to be: You're a loser; you've got nuth-in for me!

m

The cartoon below in today's edition of the Cayman Compass by Caymanman (aka George Nowak the Barefoot Man) really brought back memories and made me laugh.

Years ago we were traveling on vacation to Cozumel and my husband had stopped at the bank before we left to get some cash in small bills - about $200 I think - so it was a big wad of cash but not a large amount of money. I don't know if this is still the case, but back then the $USD was widely accepted in Mexico but it was always difficult to get change for larger bills.

As were were lining up to board the plane at the departure gate in O'Hare Airport, a Federal Agent with a dog entered the area. She had the dog check out all the passengers waiting to board the plane for Mexico, and the dog walked directly up to my husband and sat down with his nose right next to the back pocket of his jeans where he had stashed his wallet!

The agent asked my husband to step out of the line and said "Sir, are you carrying a lot of cash?" and he said "Yes, I am going on vacation!" She then asked him to produce the cash and when she saw that it was just a lot of small bills, she thanked him and let him get back in line.

I had never heard of a "cash-sniffing dog" before but that dog really knew his stuff - he went straight for my husband in a big crowd of people!

Another example, a few years ago I was walking to work from the Union Train Station in downtown Chicago and it was a rainy, Summer day. I decided to cut through the Boeing Corporate Office Building to get out of the rain and as I was walking down a corridor toward the main exit I saw a UPS agent, wearing the usual brown shirt and shorts, leaning up against the wall casually with a pile of packages and boxes piled at his feet. It was a bit surprising because delivery guys are usually bustling about in a big hurry in the city.

A Security Guard with a dog walked up to him and I saw the dog check out the packages before the Guard allowed the UPS agent to continue making his deliveries. I suddenly remembered that Boeing was one of the "technological companies" that had been targeted by the UnaBomber (a local celebrity!) years ago. Apparently Boeing now has all packages checked for explosives by canines before allowing them to be delivered.

I have also seen Guards and dogs patrolling areas around the Union Station, especially during times of public demonstrations and political unrest.

Those dogs are good! And I am glad that they are on the job to protect us, but it sure would make me nervous if one of them took a sudden interest in me at the airport! :wink:

View attachment 516497
A few years ago got the doggie greeting upon arrival at Cancun. They found an unopened ham sandwich I bought at PHX.

Our US Customs Border Patrol are interested in and tasked for finding incoming money.

It is a rare sight to see a CBP agent outside of the incoming containment zone at International Arrivals. The other “Feds” that you might encounter- TSA, as far as I’m aware, have no cash dogs nor would they have jurisdiction anyway.

You had a chat with “some type” of Fed. They are programmed to react and answer you in the least amount of engagement that will satisfy you as they complete their task. Likely, you were “handled” and sent on your merry way.

But, I get what you’re saying. Them doggies work.

Our US Customs Border Patrol are interested in and tasked for finding incoming money.

It is a rare sight to see a CBP agent outside of the incoming containment zone at International Arrivals. The other “Feds” that you might encounter- TSA, as far as I’m aware, have no cash dogs nor would they have jurisdiction anyway.

You had a chat with “some type” of Fed. They are programmed to react and answer you in the least amount of engagement that will satisfy you as they complete their task. Likely, you were “handled” and sent on your merry way.

But, I get what you’re saying. Them doggies work.

I didn't say that it was a TSA or Customs agent, I just said that it was a "Federal Agent" I don't remember the type of agent, but and it was definitely a cash-sniffing dog, the first thing the Agent said to my husband was "Sir, are you carrying a lot of cash?"

If you are carrying greater than $10,000 into or out of the US; you must declare it in advance, in compliance with Federal regulations designed to prevent money laundering, see below.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/2018NMLRA_12-18.pdf
"...A Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments must be filed by (1) Each person who physically transports, mails, or ships, or causes to be physically transported, mailed, or shipped currency or other monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding $10,000 at one time from the United States to any place outside the United States or into the United States from any place outside the United States..."

Not basing this on any expert knowledge, but I believe over 90% of US and UK bank notes have traces of class A drugs on them. Wonder if that's what he / she was sniffing out.

I too love to see a working dog. They definitely have a better work ethic than us bipods.

Not basing this on any expert knowledge, but I believe over 90% of US and UK bank notes have traces of class A drugs on them.

That drug thing is mostly on $100’s. On smaller bills, like $1’s 5’s and $10’s, very specially trained dogs can detect G-String lint. (not basing this on any personal knowledge)

Query: 0n one’s way out of these great United States, where is the Airport Kiosk that a traveler should stop by and declare that wad of cash? Good info for us husbands laden with $1 and $5. Maybe them dogs could sniff glitter?

That drug thing is mostly on $100’s. On smaller bills, like $1’s 5’s and $10’s, very specially trained dogs can detect G-String lint. (not basing this on any personal knowledge)

Query: 0n one’s way out of these great United States, where is the Airport Kiosk that a traveler should stop by and declare that wad of cash? Good info for us husbands laden with $1 and $5. Maybe them dogs could sniff glitter?

There's a form that you have to fill out in advance called the "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" FinCEN Form 105" to declare that you are bringing in or taking out more than $10,000. If you don't declare it in advance they can seize your funds. It applies to an aggregate amount of $10,000 max, so it doesn't work for everyone in your party to split the cash up - if the aggregate total exceeds $10,000 they can still take your money.

Currency / Monetary Instruments - Duty on money, checks, etc.

Not basing this on any expert knowledge, but I believe over 90% of US and UK bank notes have traces of class A drugs on them. Wonder if that's what he / she was sniffing out.

I too love to see a working dog. They definitely have a better work ethic than us bipods.

It's been over 20 years since this happened, but I was the Director of Finance for the City of Plano, TX back in the day, and our Police had confiscated a substantial amount of cash in a raid.

They brought it to our office to be counted, and we put one of our clerks into a vacant office, and they dumped the money on a desk, and with one officer inside and another one outside, began to close the door. Just as it was about to close, our clerk licked her thumb tip and grabbed at a wad of bills.

As the door clicked, we heard the cop on the inside yell: "Stop, you can't do that"!

He swung the door back open, looked at the other cop and simply said: "Gloves".

Turns out the bills had been inside a laundry bag along with a number of parcels of loosely packed drugs.

They told us there was enough dope on those bills that a second lick of her thumb would have gotten her stoned.

Back
Top Bottom