My Worthington E14157 failing hydro - what do I do now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Why would I care at this point if they verified no leaks?
A leak would affect the expansion numbers. I’m not sure it would affect the elastic expansion though, might just increase the permanent expansion.

However, a leak test is often done around 80-90% of TP

Sometimes tanks just fail. What were the test results?

Attachments

• 0C38AA26-3D74-4C06-BE6A-F3BE569CEA36.jpeg
    0C38AA26-3D74-4C06-BE6A-F3BE569CEA36.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 191
Several years ago a one of my tanks failed hydro. It had never been tested since it was made and had less than 50 dives on it The hydro facility told me it wouldn't hold pressure. I sent the tank to Catalina, even though the serial numbers had been X'd out. Catalina tested it and determined it was fine. There was a piece of dirt on the o-ring gland which Catalina found. The report stated the dirt was the reason for the lack of holding pressure. With that information I had recourse.

If you are not able to get it retested then there really isn't anything you can do. Regardless of what you do, the tank is no longer usable.

Looks like a failure. I try to buy used tanks out of hydro with a “pass or refund” guarantee from the seller.

You said you got it for cheap. This is the risk you take and the reason why tanks in-hydro command a premium.

Unfortunately you don’t have much recourse if they did the test properly to the marked TP. The round out is not required just suggested. Additionally, the tester is not required to record the round out test, so it’s “he said, she said” on if it was done or not.

I have accumulated about 10 tanks over the past 2 years and the first 2 were used. I got lucky they were part of a package of scuba gear, and they passed hydro.

Then I set out to get the whole family tanks and what I discovered is that it usually isn't worth it to buy a used tank, unless of course you have a friend or friend of a friend and you get a good deal.

Even though the new tank may cost more, since it will hold its value well because of a much newer born on date, the cost of ownership is about the same, you don't really save any money going used.

Leisure Pro usually has a smoking deal on the XS Scuba tanks, they come with pro valves and it tells you whether the tank is on or off with blue and green rings by the handle. They also come standard with the nice hard plastic flat boots. I don't think you can beat the cost of ownership on these tanks, they will sell easily too if you want to get rid of them.

Looks like a failure. I try to buy used tanks out of hydro with a “pass or refund” guarantee from the seller.

You said you got it for cheap. This is the risk you take and the reason why tanks in-hydro command a premium.

I realize that tanks in hydro command premium because of reduced uncertainty, but I can't help but think that this case is not just a realized risk, it's just me and the facility not knowing about this recommendation. Or is the discrepancy too large to attribute to that? I'll never know for sure, but the fact that I was completely oblivious to this whole issue is frustrating...

Based on what I read before about testing old steel tanks that stayed in storage for a long time, I though passing viz was more of a concern than hydro, so I didn't see this coming at all...

Even though the new tank may cost more, since it will hold its value well because of a much newer born on date, the cost of ownership is about the same, you don't really save any money going used.

About a year and a half ago I bought two steel SP 100s in hydro for the next 3 seasons for $175. New they would cost $670 on Leisure Pro. So argument about not really saving any money is highly debatable.

I bought 5 used tanks overal. This one is the one and only issue so far, but the one that will increase my awareness in the future. Lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom