Juliet Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my 3rd trip on the Juliet last month - a week spent around Mona Island. Most of the other divers were repeaters, too. That should say enough...
Was curious about the Mona trip as we were considering it next spring. How was the diving?

Thx,

Matt

The Mona trip was very good diving, but definitely not for inexperienced divers. There were fairly strong currents on most dives, and re-boarding the ship could be challenging at times due to the choppy seas. It wasn't tremendously fishy, although I saw larger specimens of most common Caribbean reef fish than I've seen elsewhere. I assume that's because there is no fishing, due to it (1) being a nature preserve and (2) being 40 miles from Puerto Rico. The only other divers we saw all week were a couple of scientists on a research project.

We alternated between Mona and Monito. The "landscape" was mainly fields of giant, angular "boulders" that had calved off the main islands. Some of the "boulders" were the size of apartment buildings. Lots of swim-thrus, nice corals (hard and soft). There were some pretty dramatic underwater views of huge waves crashing against the flat sides of Mona. There was some impressive surge associated with the crashing waves, suddenly pulling you up 8-10 ft, then back down again. I thought it was a fun ride.

The ride out was overnight, and the seas weren't too bad. We came back a few hours earlier than planned to avoid some heavy weather moving in. The return trip was definitely pretty rough (although very sunny). Bring the motion-sickness cure of your choice... I went with a scopolamine patch behind an ear and had no issues.

I enjoyed the Mona trip, but probably won't do it again. Liza was thinking of doing BVI again next December, which I did 3 years ago. I may do that one again.

Safe Diving!
Don

What marina does the Juliet leave from in Miami?

In 2017 for a Bahamas trip, she left from a mooring in the inlet across from the American Airlines arena, beside the science museum park. Nearest intersection NE 9th and Biscayne Blvd

My LDS just announced a trip on the Juliet for April 2021. Looks like I might have to drop in at the dive shop and check out the details. Hopefully, the Great Hammerheads will still be hanging out around Bimini then.

How are the facilities on the Juliet for photographers?

The Juliet used to be a really popular liveaboard on here but have heard anything about it for a long time. We are looking at booking a trip on her and wondered if it is as good as it used to be.
If you are looking at booking a dive on the Juliet, contact Tri-City Scuba in Kitchener. They just announced a trip on her.

My LDS just announced a trip on the Juliet for April 2021. Looks like I might have to drop in at the dive shop and check out the details. Hopefully, the Great Hammerheads will still be hanging out around Bimini then.

How are the facilities on the Juliet for photographers?

More limited than on other boats. The crew will do what they can to help you out but she is a fairly compact boat. There's no dedicated camera room or table or anything like that.

More limited than on other boats. The crew will do what they can to help you out but she is a fairly compact boat. There's no dedicated camera room or table or anything like that.
Thanks. That is good info to be aware of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom