Computer that will monitor 2 people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never thought about a two-person computer until a couple of years ago when were we were at a dive resort and there were 2 brothers on our boat. The younger brother seemed to have some form of Autism (Asperger's?) and the elder brother stuck close to him and took care of equipment and led the dive. The dive op insisted that everyone wear a computer but I don't think that the younger brother was able to read or use it. In such situations a 2-person computer would be a very good thing indeed.
That would be a perfect situation for two wireless transmitters. If the divers are close enough to hold hands and both know to stay close. They sell a thing called a scuba buddy tether/leash. Basically a nylon dog leash with a carabiner clip on both ends. I though this would make sure the my computer and other transmitter would always be close enough but then I thought of all the safety issues the leash might cause and scraped the idea.

He never mentions range. Are you saying the signal being transmitted is somehow stronger? Experience? No one seems to be sellling this except Simply Scuba in the UK, and the Simply Scuba website won't ship it out of the EU.....
View attachment 516523
Yes I know it works better because I have a Shearwater transmitter and just purchased the new Aqualung V.2 transmitter. My Teric computer sitting on my nightstand on the 3rd floor picks up the signal from Aqualung transmitter from my basement workshop. I haven’t done any scientific tests like in a field or long underwater pool. To your second question in the US they don’t seem to promote version 2.0. Though if the manufacturers date was in the past 2 months I’d bet it is a version 2.0. I purchased mine from ROHO in the UK. I’d imagine if you called a local dive store that carries Aqualung, they’d have an Aqualung Rep to call and ask.

Yes I know it works better because I have a Shearwater transmitter and just purchased the new Aqualung V.2 transmitter. My Teric computer sitting on my nightstand on the 3rd floor picks up the signal from Aqualung transmitter from my basement workshop. I haven’t done any scientific tests like in a field or long underwater pool. To your second question in the US they don’t seem to promote version 2.0. Though if the manufacturers date was in the past 2 months I’d bet it is a version 2.0. I purchased mine from ROHO in the UK. I’d imagine if you called a local dive store that carries Aqualung, they’d have an Aqualung Rep to call and ask.
Thanks for the additional info.
The EMI shielding on the 2.0 is a good idea.
I'm guessing the range is very much limited by the wireless frequency and the EM attenuation of seawater, regardless of the new chipset. So I'd be surprised -- and pleased! -- if the new unit actually performs noticeably better while diving. If it were better, you'd think AquaLung would tout that, and they don't; they don't even mention the 2.0, as far as I can tell. Only Simply Scuba even seems to sell it, and they don't mention range either.

Thanks for the additional info.
The EMI shielding on the 2.0 is a good idea.
I'm guessing the range is very much limited by the wireless frequency and the EM attenuation of seawater, regardless of the new chipset. So I'd be surprised -- and pleased! -- if the new unit actually performs noticeably better while diving. If it were better, you'd think AquaLung would tout that, and they don't; they don't even mention the 2.0, as far as I can tell. Only Simply Scuba even seems to sell it, and they don't mention range either.
Simply Scuba is the only one who lists it 2.0 but all new transmitters are 2.0. It’s too bad Aqualung won’t give out a serial range, though I’d imagine they want to sell all old stock available first.

Ok I went to Pelagic Pressure Systems FCC ID Applications (MH8) and found the patent contact info.
Contact Organization: Pelagic Pressure Systems Corp.
Contact Position: President
Contact Name: Mr Michael S Hollis
Contact Address: 2002 Davis StreetSan Leandro, CA 94577United States
Contact Email: mhollis@pelagicnet.com
ContactPhone: (510) 569-3100 601

I called them at 510-569-3100 and asked the operator if I could get in contact with someone who knew the technical information on the transmitters they produce. I was transferred to X but got his voicemail. I’ll try back on Monday if I remember. Hopefully I can find out something definitive about range improvement, chipset changes, and manufacturing batches.

Ok I went to Pelagic Pressure Systems FCC ID Applications (MH8) and found the patent contact info.
Contact Organization: Pelagic Pressure Systems Corp.
Contact Position: President
Contact Name: Mr Michael S Hollis
Contact Address: 2002 Davis StreetSan Leandro, CA 94577United States
Contact Email: mhollis@pelagicnet.com
ContactPhone: (510) 569-3100 601

I called them at 510-569-3100 and asked the operator if I could get in contact with someone who knew the technical information on the transmitters they produce. I was transferred to X but got his voicemail. I’ll try back on Monday if I remember. Hopefully I can find out something definitive about range improvement, chipset changes, and manufacturing batches.
Excellent! Looking forward to the report!

I'm looking for a computer that will not only monitor my air wirelessly but also monitor my sons at the same time. Due to his age (12) I prefer to be able to monitor his tank from my computer as well as mine.

Regular ones have the range of 3-4 feet and there's a pattern to it. Liquivision is the only one that I know of, that used ultrasound and could go 10 times farther, but they're out of business as far as anybody knows. Consider how much your son's going to enjoy the dives if you hold him on a 3-foot leash at all times.

PS Ratio transmitter with a LED as suggested by @Manatee Diver is probably the best option ATM, though I wonder how close you need to be to tell the red from blue from green...

Just sneak up behind your son and shut his gas off! He will monitor his SPG religiously from then on. JUST KIDDING!!!!

To my way of thinking, having a computer that monitors the air supply of two divers is a potential double fail

Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

LED Tank Module

Everyone seems to be focused on wireless transmitter range. If all you are interested in is a quick check on your sons air you can get either a mares transmitter or a ratio transmitter. Both change color based on the amount of air left, going from green to amber to red. All you would have to be is within visual distance to see what his general air status is.

I have the same concerns with my 14 yeear old daughter, but I am not using a technological or equipment solution. We are deliberately planning our dives (using tables and rule of thirds for now), diving the plan, and when under water I prompt her to report air supply every 5 minutes or so. Eventually it will become habit for her. I tend to think you shouldn’t try to find a gear solution to a training problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom