Deploying a DSMB in Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer Stainless Steel (the one DGX sells). However, I feel like I'm the minority, as I see mostly delrin ones.
I looked at this specific model as well. Any particular reason you prefer steel?

One one dive trip a delrin one got crushed/ broken by a tank (not mine, a fellow diver). Since then I've seen no reason not to use SS spools. From what I've gathered people say they're heavy and they 'sink like a rock' when dropped... I've never dropped mine, so I can't comment on that.

DGX also sells AL ones, if someone wants metal, but a lighter option... I have no experience with those. I also bought a knock-off Apeks AL one on e-bay. It's HUGE, so I'll write it off as a loss, as I know I'll never use it.

If you are worried about line twist, the solution is to switch hands intermittently. Wind with the spool in your left for awhile and then switch and wind with the spoil in your right hand color awhile. The other method is to keep the spoil in the same hand but occasionally flip it so you are holding the other side of the spoil. This will mean you go from winding overhand to winding underhand. The goal is to add the line to one side and then the other so that you put twists in one way and then the other. When you deploy, it will even out.

In the end it takes awhile before it becomes a problem and some line is more temperamental than other.

If you’re not in a pool always deploy a SMB. Freaking Jet skiers come out of nowhere and seem strangely attracted to surface dive flags.

"hey look dude !! someone put up a slalom course for us. far out. " :cool:

If you are worried about line twist, the solution is to switch hands intermittently. Wind with the spool in your left for awhile and then switch and wind with the spoil in your right hand color awhile. The other method is to keep the spoil in the same hand but occasionally flip it so you are holding the other side of the spoil.
That won't make any difference. It's about the direction the string goes around the spool, not which hand you use to wrap it or whether you wrap it underhand or overhand. You'd have to unroll the whole spool and wind it the other way to make a difference.

I tried to be clear in my wording. I’ve gone back and reread it. I can’t really improve on it. I even followed up to clarify that what matters is which side of the spool the line is added to and alternating that back and forth as you wind will keep all the twisting from accumulating in one direction but obviously my choice of words didn’t offer a clear enough picture. Language can be funny that way.

More a general question about DSMB usage, though it did come up while I was diving in Cozumel.

What do you do after you surface with a deployed smb? Do you deflate and reel up your string quick before the boat arrives? Hold onto it and pass the mess to the boat? Reel and clip reel back onto your bcd, even if the smb is still unfurled?

I generally have all the line rolled up on the spool by the time I surface. I clip everything to the spool, hand it up, and once on the boat roll the DSMB back up while getting ready for the next dive. Half the time somebody on the boat has already rolled up my marker by the time I get to my seat, but I'm usually diving with lots of other experienced divers and rarely wait long on the surface for pickup. YMMV.

More a general question about DSMB usage, though it did come up while I was diving in Cozumel.

What do you do after you surface with a deployed smb? Do you deflate and reel up your string quick before the boat arrives? Hold onto it and pass the mess to the boat? Reel and clip reel back onto your bcd, even if the smb is still unfurled?
I deflate when the boat comes, spool is already rolled in and the line clipped tight with my double ender. Hand the unrolled SMB and clipped spool up the captain. Roll it back up on the boat.

FYI - for anyone reading this who has ever wondered about these I bought a “Lightweight Scuba Diving Diver Reel Finger Spool & Stainless Steel Bolt Snap” ( China ) from eBay. Aluminum Alloy Scuba Diving Reel Finger Spool, 30m Line Double End Bolt Clip 86801268474 | eBay I was sceptical about what I would receive - it is a machined aluminum spool knock off on the very expensive Apeks model but pleasantly surprised by the quality. It comes with what appears to be a well machined and anodized aluminum spool with good quality line, ss swivel and ss double ender.

Back
Top Bottom