Taxi blockade at airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course they don't. Would you? I don't know if this is about Uber and Lyft, but those operations aren't grassroots "little guy" endeavors, they are multinational corporations that are trying to wrest the revenue stream away from the local drivers who depend on it to feed their families.

I know this isn't a popular mindset on this forum, but I don't have a problem with the Cozumel taxi union. It provides cheap reliable transportation all over the island and provides income to guys (mostly guys) who live on the island. If all the taxi drivers would become Uber and Lyft drivers, they would make less money and a big piece of the revenue thus generated would be exported to the companies' mother ships. Maybe the rides would get cheaper, but so what? They are already pretty cheap.

Isn't pretty much EVERYONE 'just trying to feed their families' ? It's like the ultimate free-get-out-of-jail-card apologists use to sanctify/justify whatever behavior they want because it's politically correct? Even tourist gringos have hungry families, and ripping me off harms MY family!

I've been lucky I suppose - I've always had good service and what seemed like ok rates - I just took a cab from airport to Ave 10 and calle 10 norte for 30 pesos, someone posted the rate to downtown was 31 - that was close enough and fair for me....

Back 20 years ago, in Saltillo/Monteray there was a lot of gringo pricing - GM would pay $2000 for a house that rented for $1000, cab rides from airport to Saltillo were 90 bucks for a gringo and 50 for local. I just seen it as oppurtunistic pricing, the auto makers had tons of money and some folks needed to make a bit more....

Even tourist gringos have hungry families, and ripping me off harms MY family!
Yeah, right. I've been to a couple of Cozumel taxistas' homes, and sight unseen I'd wager your digs are vastly superior.

Cabs are cheap on Cozumel. My cab ride to the airport here in Austin is at least twice the rate per mile as Cozumel cabs.

Well FYI all my freinds have nice well kept taxis thanks for asking. If you didnt know there is a age limit on cars and they cant be more than a few years old.
Maybe one day a bunch of new dive boats with newly issued park permits will show up and try to take your business. We have all heard your story of starting from nothing im sure you will be a-ok new boats coming in and getting concessions you have worked and struggled for years for.

Great - good for them. As I said, they have become the exception.

And yes, everyone has the right to work as long as they are operating legally like the rest of us. That's the entire point - everyone has a right to earn a living if they are operating within local laws and procedures.

Crap, I hate it when tourists bitch about Mexico and try and change things or make them more like their home country. I just did that..although not really bitching. I understand that the system works fine for Cozumel so there is no driving need to change it. As my Gringo Tax, I'll buy you a Bohemia Obscura next time we're in Cozumel together.

Safe travels everyone, see you on the reefs!
Jay

If anyone took any of my comments to be bitching about the fact that there is a taxi union monopoly (which I do enjoy referring to by the Spanish name - syndicate) - my apologies, as that wasn't my intent. Mexico has an absolute right to do things the way they believe is best. If you are referring to my comments complaining that the law says one thing and the taxistas are not held to that standard; or that law enforcement turns a blind eye when the taxistas interfere with legal activities, well, OK, guilty as charged. Same for the unlicensed boats/operators in the marine park. But I make the same kind of comments about things in the USA, so it's not like I'm trying to make it more like, "my home country".

I'll be happy to buy the second round, but let's not call it a Gringo Tax. Actually, a Gringo Tax might solve a lot of problems - anyone who steps foot on the island with a tourist visa is charged $1,000 pesos, which allows unlimited re-entry for the duration of the visa. But then, once you're on the island, all the prices are the same for everyone - tourist or non-tourist, gringo and local alike. Not that I'm bitching ....

If anyone took any of my comments to be bitching about the fact that there is a taxi union monopoly (which I do enjoy referring to by the Spanish name - syndicate) - my apologies, as that wasn't my intent. Mexico has an absolute right to do things the way they believe is best. If you are referring to my comments complaining that the law says one thing and the taxistas are not held to that standard; or that law enforcement turns a blind eye when the taxistas interfere with legal activities, well, OK, guilty as charged. Same for the unlicensed boats/operators in the marine park. But I make the same kind of comments about things in the USA, so it's not like I'm trying to make it more like, "my home country".

I'll be happy to buy the second round, but let's not call it a Gringo Tax. Actually, a Gringo Tax might solve a lot of problems - anyone who steps foot on the island with a tourist visa is charged $1,000 pesos, which allows unlimited re-entry for the duration of the visa. But then, once you're on the island, all the prices are the same for everyone - tourist or non-tourist, gringo and local alike. Not that I'm bitching ....
Absolutely not directed at anyone on this thread. Whose buying the third round?

Jay

Actually, a Gringo Tax might solve a lot of problems - anyone who steps foot on the island with a tourist visa is charged $1,000 pesos, which allows unlimited re-entry for the duration of the visa.
I pay more than that every trip...
The prices are subject to change, but currently the departure tax sits at $1,150 Mexican Peso, which is roughly $65 or £50 per person, depending on the exchange rate.

Just arrived yesterday. Everything seemed normal at the airport. Shuttle van to ISIS car rental for two was 162 pesos (about 8.53 USD) up 1 peso from last year. Also used the online immigration and custom forms. Both accepted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom