Mirrorless for video ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluechub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everybody,

I am trying to decide on a new rig for video and would appreciate some input. I am trying to contain the budget, around $1000 for the camera. I like to shoot with natural light (70% of the time) or video lights when needed. I am hoping to get feedback on underwater WB performance and AF-c for tracking. Because of the budget I came up with a possible short list of a mix between new releases and older cameras:

1) Sony A7 II: can be had for a great price now. I’ve read about limitations on manual WB underwater. Did anyone try to do a manual WB with a red filter applied? How hard is in real life to get a good UW color in camera – using natural light? How about AF-c in video for tracking?

2) Sony A6400: just released, lots of things I like one I do not – it lacks IBIS. How critical do you think it is for underwater video?

3) Fuji XT-2 (or the XT-30): could not find much in terms of UW videos: any opinion?

4) Olympus EM5 MkII: I saw some mixed reviews about this camera for AF-c.

5) Other suggestions? Anything I should be looking for that I missed?

Thanks for responding.

Basically you have two options
Panasonic GH5 and Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K in the MFT space

The other cameras you mention have issues (Sony dont white balance, Olympus codecs are poor, Fuji does not really have really footprint

Whats the issue with the GH5?

Thanks for replying. No technical issue with the GH5, I would get it in a heartbeat - it is out of budget as I am trying to stay in the $1000 ballpark for the camera. The models I listed are in that range. I would prefer a mirrorless to a compact because of the better controls (in general).

Thanks for replying. No technical issue with the GH5, I would get it in a heartbeat - it is out of budget as I am trying to stay in the $1000 ballpark for the camera. The models I listed are in that range. I would prefer a mirrorless to a compact because of the better controls (in general).

If you're not opposed to a used GH5, you can find them on CL around $1k if you're patient. I just picked up a used one to have as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom