Cozumel’s diving is so “rushed”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been to Cozumel once, but I enjoyed the shore dives on the house reef at SCC more than the boat dives.

I did one shore dive at Chankanaab Park this time and despite it being only 24 feet deep, I REALLY enjoyed it! So much to see when you go slowly. I was hoping to give the SCC shore dive a try but didn’t get to.

I’m really starting to think that I might really enjoy the likes of Bonaire and Cocoview.

i don't think i could have said it better myself. we must approach diving in the same manor. i cannot stand it when i "feel like" i am being rushed. you are absolutely right when you say it raises stress levels. and sometimes it takes all the fun out of it.

i am the same whether boat diving on holiday or teaching a class. it is actually kind of odd because for the most part i am a relatively high strung guy at my real job and am usually a stressed out person. but when it comes to diving (and golf btw) i am the opposite. i like to take my time getting ready, during the dive, and after the dive. that is not to say i am late or hold anyone up. i always make sure i am early to the dock and am always the last the leave the rinse area.

my wife and i also have done a few trips where shore diving was our focus. what an amazing difference. we both agreed that it was far superior than boat diving when looking at all the stresses that go with that.

i recently took one of the "fast" boats in coz for a 2 tank morning trip. what a **** show. i am not their target customer that is for sure. when i boat dive i will stick to using an op i am familiar with and who uses a larger, slower boat. part of the enjoyment for me is the time i get to spend on the water, not just the time in it.

so i completely agree. however, i would make a few suggestions that may help you in the future. as i said above, stay away from ops that only offer the small fast boats. contact the op and ask about the schedules. ask how far the dive sites are from where they depart. stay away from using any shop where you have to get to the marina and back to the hotel. and maybe try to choose accommodations that are closer to the popular dive sites. in coz obviously that would be south of town. the further the better.

i will never give up boat diving altogether as it sometimes is the only way to get to see larger animals etc. but i am rapidly becoming more of a fan of shore diving. we are trying to find more affordable travel options that allow us to do that. not only do we enjoy our day more, but i am more than happy to save the money. boat diving is becoming ever more expensive especially with our low canadian dollar.

Not to be flippant, but why do you keep going back to Coz then? I find the Florida keys not very rushed. Boat rides are not too long, pack and unpack at your leisiure. I personally find larger boats with lots of room more relaxing than a little six pack.

The more "steps" you add into getting to the boat, the more "rushed" it may feel. One of the common compliments I receive from our divers is that they never feel rushed.

We do have a standard 8am departure time from the downtown pier, but based on divers we have each week and what kind of experience they are wanting, we sometimes push departure back to 8:30 or 9:00 - we are always as flexible as possible in that regard.

We also don't schedule afternoon boats until 2:00pm specifically so that we are not rushing to get back early for a rushed or unrealistic 1:00 departure. I don't believe in rushing or cutting the morning divers experience short so that we can rush back for an afternoon dive. I also have more than one boat, so I can stagger the departures that way as will giving a lot more flexibility to our scheduling when necessary.

Departing from the pier at 8ish buys our guests at least 30 minutes of extra time in the morning from having to taxi to the marina. On the rare occasions when we do have to taxi to the marina because of wind or surgy conditions at the piers, we adjust the departure time. In the afternoon, it's also as simple as getting off the boat and going back to your room or to lunch.

As mentioned, we typically depart from downtown between 8:00 and 8:30 and return to the downtown pier between 1:00 and 1:30 Dives average 60 - 70 minutes with a relaxing (not rushed) surface interval of 75 to 90 minutes - this also allows us more off gassing time so we don't have as many limits on what we can do for the second dive.

Feel free to email me at info@bluextseadiving.com if you'd like more information or have specific questions about how we do things :)

All the best,
Christi
Blue XT~Sea Diving

. . .
I’m really starting to think that I might really enjoy the likes of Bonaire and Cocoview.

Why did you ever think you wouldn't? Okay, I admit I did nothing but boat diving for years before I discovered Bonaire, as I wasn't even aware that tropical shore diving existed on a large scale, e.g., island-wide. Bonaire is the ultimate in non-rushed diving. The polar opposite of Cozumel. We have some friends with whom we have done a few Bonaire trips who have always been reluctant to go with us to Cozumel because they hate the rushed feeling of boat diving.

Not to be flippant, but why do you keep going back to Coz then? I find the Florida keys not very rushed. Boat rides are not too long, pack and unpack at your leisiure. I personally find larger boats with lots of room more relaxing than a little six pack.

Oh why, oh why? Coz has so many things going for it. Restaurants are amazing and inexpensive. Hotels are decent, clean and inexpensive. Flights are direct for me and less than 4 hours. People are friendly. Reefs are majestic. Coz is the place that got me diving. Quality of dive ops is good and so many options. I still love Coz.

I want to respond (I assume you're looking for responses otherwise why post...:)) but I'm not really sure about the point of the OP. Are you looking for suggestions on how to mitigate some of your perceived negatives or are you just making a statement that your current Coz experience isn't as enjoyable as some of your other dive experiences? Both are valid discussion points.

I find a lot of variation in my Coz experience depending on when I go (high, shoulder, low season), where I stay, and who I dive with. I'm a "planner" so if I know what's coming and what's expected you really have to work to rush me. I'll plan and pre-stage things and once I'm in a groove, you'll have to surprise me to harsh my zen. I guess that's why Coz diving doesn't seem like a thrash to me.

That said it's certainly not liveaboard or dedicated resort diving nor do I want it to be. I like those experiences as well and enjoy the difference. Wouldn't it be awfully boring if all diving was alike? It's a big ocean and there is a multitude of different ways to enjoy it.

Beyond that I'm probably the biggest variable. What I've enjoyed in the past doesn't necessarily work for me today or the future or six months from now or two days ago etc. etc.. Thank goodness finding what I'm looking for only requires a bit of planning, research, and a willingness to try something different OR NOT...LOL. :) Find your "zen" for today and go have fun preferably diving. :wink: :bounce::bounce::bounce: All IMHO, YMMV.

Just because you prefer to dive off a yacht or a pristine beach please don't criticize the diving in Cozumel.

Dogbowl isn't criticizing the diving in Cozumel.

Dogbowl, it's long been my practice, other than on lob or dedicated dive resort, to be able to fix my own breakfast in my room. Not all places have a kitchenette but usually a refridgerator and so I'll arrange for hardboiled eggs, cheese, fruits, etc. to be in there for me for brekkie. Then I like to saunter out to the dock or wherever to get on the boat. I totally get you!

Perhaps you should consider doing Coz a little bit differently? A room with a kitchenette perhaps within easy walking distance of pickup and delivery?

Back
Top Bottom