Any suggestions on how to get from Cairo to Hurghada by land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am going to be flying in to Cairo in Sept, spending a couple of days to acclimate and see the pyramids, and then transferring to Hurghada for a week-long liveaboard. I have all day Saturday to get from Cairo to Hurghada, and nothing else planned for that day. As far as I can see, there are private cars with drivers that can be rented through hotels for under $100, or buses that cost about $10. I'd have to reverse the route at the end of the week to head back to Cairo for my flight -- again, I'd have all day to get back to Cairo. Does anybody have experience doing that route by land? Any recommendations?

I would just fly. 1 hr flight and roundtrip is around $150. Not sure what liveaboard you are doing, the Aggressor II price included the pickup-drop off to the airport as well. I took a bus from Luxor to Hurghada and with all the security checkpoints it took longer then expected. Also, it didn't help that security forces at 1 checkpoint had an issue with a passenger's travel documents so that took an extra 20-30 minutes. At the end of the liveaboard I took a flight back to Cairo without issues. Since you asked about travel by land, the Go Bus was comfortable, I had to pay $1 or $2 to put my luggage in the bottom storage area of the bus. I'm sure taking a private car would be a smoother experience.

The brand new Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza should be open or partially open by September, jealous! They were still building it (10 years!) when I was there last year.

I would just fly. 1 hr flight and roundtrip is around $150. Not sure what liveaboard you are doing, the Aggressor II price included the pickup-drop off to the airport as well. I took a bus from Luxor to Hurghada and with all the security checkpoints it took longer then expected. Also, it didn't help that security forces at 1 checkpoint had an issue with a passenger's travel documents so that took an extra 20-30 minutes. At the end of the liveaboard I took a flight back to Cairo without issues. Since you asked about travel by land, the Go Bus was comfortable, I had to pay $1 or $2 to put my luggage in the bottom storage area of the bus. I'm sure taking a private car would be a smoother experience.

The brand new Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza should be open or partially open by September, jealous! They were still building it (10 years!) when I was there last year.
Thanks for the advice on the Go Bus. I'll look into that. I'm reluctant to fly back from Hurghada just because of off-gassing -- I'd rather have the extra 18 hours to off-gas before my return flight to the States from Cairo.

I just checked the website for the new Egyptian museum and apparently the opening has slid back to to 2020. That's OK, I'll get to see the old one this time around, and if I like the Red Sea diving, it's another reason to do a second trip!

Thanks for the advice on the Go Bus. I'll look into that. I'm reluctant to fly back from Hurghada just because of off-gassing -- I'd rather have the extra 18 hours to off-gas before my return flight to the States from Cairo.

I did the Aggressor, so I can't speak to other liveaboards' schedules, but the Aggressor returned to the dock in the evening of the last dive day, and we disembarked the following morning. I figured they do that because many divers fly out and would have to wait to fly anyway.

I just checked the website for the new Egyptian museum and apparently the opening has slid back to to 2020. That's OK, I'll get to see the old one this time around, and if I like the Red Sea diving, it's another reason to do a second trip!

Indiana Jones would not be out of place in the old museum. I kind of enjoyed the Indiana Jones vibe as I wandered the dusty halls peering into old wooden display cabinets. The new museum will probably be feel like any other in the world. Enjoy the old museum while you can.

I did the Aggressor, so I can't speak to other liveaboards' schedules, but the Aggressor returned to the dock in the evening of the last dive day, and we disembarked the following morning. I figured they do that because many divers fly out and would have to wait to fly anyway.

Indiana Jones would not be out of place in the old museum. I kind of enjoyed the Indiana Jones vibe as I wandered the dusty halls peering into old wooden display cabinets. The new museum will probably be feel like any other in the world. Enjoy the old museum while you can.
I’ll bring my fedora on the trip!

Bus can be nice, but avoid doing the trip during ramadan... did it 2 times many years ago, it was terrible (sorry for the muslims, but hearing islamic prayers during hours, well...).

Nicer (but more expensive, of course) with a private car or taxi, as you can stop where you want.

Notice that a car driver will often try to stop by a shop that sells (very expensive) the authentic papyrus and hieroglyphic sculptures directly coming from the Tut-Ank-Amoun grave in the valley of the Kings ! :D
It's a kind of national sport...

I have a friend that rode the bus from Cairo to Hurghada while I flew and he said the bus was fine.
That was me hehe. Gobus. Many different choices from ridiculously cheap to cheap. The people at the station will help you. Quite a few speak English. Can buy ticket online or at station. My experience the more expensive buses don't fill up. Also there are many buses all the time. Check website for schedule and prices.

Fly if you can afford it just for speed. Else ride the bus.

Bus can be nice, but avoid doing the trip during ramadan... did it 2 times many years ago, it was terrible (sorry for the muslims, but hearing islamic prayers during hours, well...).

Nicer (but more expensive, of course) with a private car or taxi, as you can stop where you want.

Notice that a car driver will often try to stop by a shop that sells (very expensive) the authentic papyrus and hieroglyphic sculptures directly coming from the Tut-Ank-Amoun grave in the valley of the Kings ! :D
It's a kind of national sport...

I am thankfully going after Ramadan, but thanks for pointing out its perils. Reminds me of once having taken a long distance bus in Taiwan during the ancestral worship holiday, which meant 6 hours of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre film retrospective being played over deafening Taiwanese taxi music, amid a thick cloud of cigarette smoke. Then again, I've been telling that story for 30 years, so the pain was almost worth it.

Hi all,

I am going to be flying in to Cairo in Sept, spending a couple of days to acclimate and see the pyramids, and then transferring to Hurghada for a week-long liveaboard. I have all day Saturday to get from Cairo to Hurghada, and nothing else planned for that day. As far as I can see, there are private cars with drivers that can be rented through hotels for under $100, or buses that cost about $10. I'd have to reverse the route at the end of the week to head back to Cairo for my flight -- again, I'd have all day to get back to Cairo. Does anybody have experience doing that route by land? Any recommendations?

Buses in Egypt are *very* hit and miss. Unfortunately I've had more misses than hits. The drive isn't terribly interesting, and the roads aren't terribly good. The best buses are OK, but the worst buses are absolutely awful. Unless you are seriously constricted on your budget, I'd suggest flying. EgyptAir Express have a fleet of really nice, modern planes and the fares are reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom