Deep Sea Detectives.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked her giant stride yelling,"bottoms up" I wish they would have showed the aftermath,(mouthfull of salt water) someone on another thread said she had an ooa situation?? I thought it was funny after all the preperation for the dive, the camera lightbulb burns out seconds before penetration?? also they never mentioned using a line once inside.We need shows by divers, for divers!!!!

Some comments,

John cut his teeth on the San Diego. He has probably done a number of external surveys of the wreck and been inside it several times before that episode as well. I believe that it is in his and Jon Hulbert's backyard. Also, some of the wreck divers out there still don't believe in lines. In fact, on the boat, I remember John and Jon say something about "good progressive pentration techniques". That implies no guide lines.

As to dectective work, it is my understanding that most of detective work is boring stuff done in libraries. Read Shadow Divers. In order to identify U-869, John and Ritchie spent far more time in libraries, interviewing former U-Boat skippers, and reading previously classified reports than they did on the wreck. That is the nature of that beast. Other wreck diving books refer to this concept as well. The best work done when wreck diving is memorizing what is known about ship's plans to make a good dive plan.

As to the co-host and her first drysuit dive, I saw all of the suprise that it was her first North East wreck dive. I was a little suprised myself precisely because I *did* know where she learned to dive initially and did a great deal of her diving. Nobody thought to ask where did a great deal of her diving. It was in the nice warm waters of the Great Lakes in a two piece 7mm wetsuit. She probably didn't see the need for a drysuit until DUI sponsered the show. Are you willing to bet that she paid full price for that brand new DUI suit? I think not! As to the other issues, I am sure that she knows better. A person gets enthusiastic and we pillory them? I am sure that she won't do it again, LOL. (I hate the taste of salt water myself.) As to the rumored OOA, it is none of my business as I am not likely to be diving with her anyways.

Heck, ask some members here about some of my entries. I have one that was requested by an instructor teaching an OW class that I was diving with this weekend. It looks impressive in doubles (which I was wearing), but we definitely do NOT teach it, LOL. And that one is planned. Thank God it was for their fifth dive when they are basically on their own anyways.

Bottom line, it is nice to see any show that doesn't just show the "glamourous diving in some reef with the fish". I haven't dove salt water this year and won't for quite some time yet. But I still dive and see many things that I wouldn't if I didn't dive. I also love history, so shipwreck diving is my niche, too.

I missed the time frame when Ric Mixter's Great Lakes Indepth was on. But, he didn't show penetration dives or many wrecks outside of recreational levels as he was trying to encourage people to dive them. I have some tapes from that show and some of the specials that he now makes. That would be the kind of show that many of you would be talking about though.

Tobagoman:
Last nights episode on the Marine Electric was pretty good.
I thought I saw one clip last night where one of them jumped off the boat housed camera in hand. Like to know how many they flood yearly that way. I didn't see anyone hand it to him later although that could have not made the final cut.

I'm not complaining though, any diving on TV is better than no diving. I watch the show whenever possible.

It's funny you know, because a while ago I posted about why I bother watching the show when all I saw was tropical diving in 25 fsw. I'm going on record to say I thought the last couple of episodes were much better and I'm glad I bothered watching. I'm sure the producers care about that, so....

:wink:

They NEVER solve anything on the show,,,,all they do is show the same computer amn. over and over. And whats up with the gal that sometimes is on the show,,,she adds nothing to the program. Dispite all it short comings I still tune in each week in hopes to see some actual diving footage--lol

steve2281:
Is it just me, or is this show getting worse all the time?? I know it's not targeting only divers, but they spend so much time solving mysteries, they don't have time to get in the water!!

Well, not worse, exactly, but a little less interesting for us divers, who are in the minority in the viewing audience. There is some dumb stuff but I still watch when I can. I' like to see them in the water more and do some narration while they are diving. That said, this Chatterton guy is a kick *** diver. Did you all read Shadow Divers?

I have read this thread and seems like no one is interested in the history behind the wrecks these guys dive on. The history behind the wreck and its sinking is what makes diving on these sites so interesting.

I think they do a great job giving the history. I am not sure how a show just seeing a couple of people swiming around a wreck, seeing broken hull plates and not understanding what you are look at would be interesting.

How about knowing the guys name that used that artifact? Or why the ship sank?

Just something to think about.

DSAO

pilot fish:
...this Chatterton guy is a kick *** diver. Did you all read Shadow Divers?

'Zactly! Besides, the guy gets paid to do what he loves, how many wreck divers get to say that! This guy has serious credentials, and if the History channel (or A&E before that) wants to pay him to conform a little bit to their format then I don't fault the guy one bit.

It could be worse, what other real diving is there on TV?

stsomewhere:
'Zactly! Besides, the guy gets paid to do what he loves, how many wreck divers get to say that! This guy has serious credentials, and if the History channel (or A&E before that) wants to pay him to conform a little bit to their format then I don't fault the guy one bit.

It could be worse, what other real diving is there on TV?

thing is the history channel production values really blow. way too many commercials, way too much repetition. can't they give us the benefit of the doubt that we can remember what they were talking about before the commercial break?

that's kinda why i liked the san diego episode, the repetition was less. even given the cohost doing a drysuit ad for DUI (but you know she's cute and diving dry now -- plus in my book) and john diving his yellow box of death -- it was still a better episode in terms of the production.

of course then there's the cave diving episode with its whole host of other issues...

Back
Top Bottom