El Cozumeleno charging $5/night Eco Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A recent Facebook discussion asking about the new add-on tax above the 19% already being charged for hotel rooms included several posts about this. Some said there is a sign calling it an Eco Fee at the check-in desk, I asked a photo, but didn't get one.

I believe the new Eco Fee is supposed to be 25.24 Pesos per room-night or about $1.34 USD depending on exchange rate used. Senior citizens, handicapped, and Quintana Roo residents were exempt, but there was talk about that being canceled. Of course, you can hear/read anything, but some on the FB thread claimed that they were charged per person every night rather than just on room-nights. That would be unfair, but I guess the hotels can charge whatever they want to try as long as it's in the booking quote - or maybe even if it's not, as what else are you going to do on arrival.

So I checked on a possible three night stay on Hotels.com, and yep - it's quoted in the pricing information for the stay, altho not by that name...
Three night quote
Capture.JPG

I doubted that the Eco Fee collections would actually go for ecological expenditures anyway, but it seems that this property is using it as an excuse to bump their rates.

Resort fee, facilities fee, eco fee...

It's all the same so places can advertise a lower price, but charge what they really want to charge.

It's all the same so places can advertise a lower price, but charge what they really want to charge.
Marketing. This widget isn't five bucks, it's only $4.99!

Just to clarify - this new Eco-fee is not "hotel imposed" - it is Government imposed.

I had coffee with the General Manager at Casa MX the other day and they are not happy about it either. The fee is per person/per night and just like the sales tax and the lodging tax, they are merely tax collectors.

Just to clarify - this new Eco-fee is not "hotel imposed" - it is Government imposed.
$1.34 is government imposed. This is about them charging $5 and claiming it's an Eco Fee.

The fee is per person/per night and just like the sales tax and the lodging tax, they are merely tax collectors.
It was said per room-night, not per person/per night on the original thread: New Room Tax ??

Is it only hotels? What about AirBnB or renting a condo for a couple of weeks? This could be monumental if it affects everyone who stays anywhere. Next thing you know they'll just charge you a departure tax based on your arrival date. Oops! They already charge a departure tax. Nearly every non-Mexican national is by definition a tourist (Cozumeleños excluded). You have to stay "somewhere" so pay the tax. Just another day in paradise.

Cheers -

$1.34 is government imposed. This is about them charging $5 and claiming it's an Eco Fee.

It was said per room-night, not per person/per night on the original thread: New Room Tax ??

Ok - per room - simple memory loss - haha!

Yes, if they are charging $5 that would be considered excessive - Casa MX rounds it up to $1.50

AS far as departure tax, every country I've been to has one (either entry or departure) - usually hidden in the airfare.

It strikes me as dishonest to bump the fee to $5 and claim it's an Eco Fee, as if the fee would go to ecological needs.

AS far as departure tax, every country I've been to has one (either entry or departure) - usually hidden in the airfare.
I remember years ago seeing broke kids attempting to catch a plane out of St.Maarten, begging for departure tax money in the airport.

I remember years ago seeing broke kids attempting to catch a plane out of St.Maarten, begging for departure tax money in the airport.
Been there.. kinda. Trying to depart Cebu airport, they only accept cash and have no ATM. The hotel took every cent I had and didn't think to ask if I had enough left for the departure tax.

It strikes me as dishonest to bump the fee to $5 and claim it's an Eco Fee, as if the fee would go to ecological needs.

It strikes me as dishonest too, Dandy Dan. But it also doesn't say what the $5 is for does it? Maybe $1.50 is the tax and $3.50 is pooled as a tip jar for the staff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom