Good Basic Boat Scuba First Aid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but I'm still thinking about what could constitute a serious bleed in a remote setting
This should have been covered in your course and if still unsure get more training or do more research. Did you view the video posted on this thread as it pretty much answers your question. If you have an arterial bleed in a limb that you can't control with pressure you are pretty much looking at a tourniquet.

This should have been covered in your course and if still unsure get more training or do more research. Did you view the video posted on this thread as it pretty much answers your question. If you have an arterial bleed in a limb that you can't control with pressure you are pretty much looking at a tourniquet.

The video was good, but it talked about injuries sustained in mass shootings or a terrorist attack. Neither of those are germaine to diving. He also mentioned police using tourniquets but that is probably where definitive medical care is nearby, which also may not be applicable to diving.

Information on the internet is inconsistent, so I was hoping that someone might be able to point me to some definitive research or maybe provide practical scenarios.

Sometimes things happen. Person may be using a knife onboard and not pay enough attention when a bigger wave makes the boat zig when it was expected to zag... There goes the knife farther than expected.

You think the speargun was secured but worked its way out of the location. Again the boat moved in a way you aren't prepared and you end up being one with the tip of a spear.
None of that has happened to me but if it does I'll have the right gear instead of trying to improvise a tourniquet with ropes n sticks

Here's what I keep in mine. Im sure this is way more than you are looking for, but maybe you can get some ideas from my list. My kit is rather large with all this stuff in it, and some of these items are not appropriate for the average first aid kit. This kit was built with the idea in mind of delayed access to medical resources, and trips to the islands when even a band aid station can be hard to find. I have the Pelican EMT case to keep this all in.

DRUGS

Acetaminophen

Aspirin

Motrin

Naproxen

Guffenasion

Claritin with ephedrine

Excedrin

Tums

Pepto Bismal tablets

Loperamide

Sudafed

Blistex

Caffeine

Electrolyte tablets

Meclazine

MISC CREAMS

Hydrocortisone

Benzocaine burn cream

Antibiotic ointment

WOUNDS AND CUTS PUNCTURES

Trauma pack with clotting sponges

Israeli bandage

Suture thread and needle

Surgical shears

Bandaids

Gauze rolls

Wound seal
Iodine swabs

Tourniquet

Vetbond super glue

Gauze

Surgical tape

Steri strips

Sterile pads

Elastic bandages

Elastic gauze

Finger splint

Arm splint

MISC

Ammonia inhalants

Alcohol wipes

Eye wash

Nasopharyngeal airway & lube

Nitrile gloves

Antiseptic skin cleaner

99% iso alcohol

Vinegar

Heat pack

Cold pack

Lighter

Bug sting treatment stick

Cough drops

Small pair of bolt cutters for hook removal

Small flask Captain Morgan Rum

Sometimes things happen. Person may be using a knife onboard and not pay enough attention when a bigger wave makes the boat zig when it was expected to zag... There goes the knife farther than expected.

You think the speargun was secured but worked its way out of the location. Again the boat moved in a way you aren't prepared and you end up being one with the tip of a spear.
None of that has happened to me but if it does I'll have the right gear instead of trying to improvise a tourniquet with ropes n sticks

Being prepared by having the right gear/equipment is smart. I'm just trying to get my head around when it should be used and when it shouldn't. If you know that tourniquet is going to be on the limb with the penetrating wound for at least three hours and you think you've stopped the bleeding but are not sure, do you put it on or leave it off. What signs do you look for to help with or confirm your decision?

Yes, but I'm still thinking about what could constitute a serious bleed in a remote setting. This could include an LOB in some cases. So far we have a propeller or chainsaw accident. The reason I'm concerned about this is that tourniquet injury can occur if it is left on for an extensive period of time.....I've seen anywhere from 1 1/2 to 8 hours posited. If the injury occurs in a remote setting those times may come into play, so I to make sure I've done my homework.

If you look at it and say "that's a lot of blood" and direct pressure doesn't control it damn quick, or of it's bright red blood coming in spurts/with force then it's time for a tourniquet. (Watch a video on youtube if you're not squeamish, the US military makes great ones) A tourniquet CAN cause an injury or loss of limb. Uncontrolled major bleeding WILL lead to death in quick order. If you're comfortable carrying a tourniquet, then go for it. The guidelines have changed on this in the last couple years at least where I work to allow tourniquet use in more situations. New guidelines also allow for removal of the tourniquet in the field while watching for bleeding, if it starts again tighten it up but if it doesn't then awesome.

Mechanisms for a deadly bleed don't have to be massive and catastrophic. A friend of mine (a doctor I might add) buried a knife in his thigh getting his lunch ready with his son on a ski trip. Maybe you catch your leg on a ladder and tear an artery, maybe something else happens. Tourniquets aren't too expensive, don't weigh much, don't take up much space and can/will save a life.

Now let's talk about chest decompression needles!

(None of this is basic by the way. First aid boils down to if it's wet keep it wet, if it's dry keep it dry, splint it if it's broken and when in doubt apply direct pressure)

An acquaintance of mine was tagging sharks. It involved using a little harpoon on a jab stick shot into the shark's skin with a shotgun shell. A GPS transmitter and data recorder are attached to the little harpoon.

At the end of the day, the captain asked if they should head back for shore. "Sure. Let's go." Unfortunately, a loaded harpoon was leaning up against the railing. My friend lost his balance when the skipper took off, and may be the only human harpooned in the backside with a shark GPS tag.

They were based in Bermuda, and at the research facility he had two choices: Either take a commercial flight to Miami to get the good pain reliever, or have the on-site doc pull it out with anesthesiology provided by "Dr. Jack." He went for the whisky and quick removal.

If you look at it and say "that's a lot of blood" and direct pressure doesn't control it damn quick, or of it's bright red blood coming in spurts/with force then it ok I'll's time for a tourniquet. (Watch a video on youtube if you're not squeamish, the US military makes great ones) A tourniquet CAN cause an injury or loss of limb. Uncontrolled major bleeding WILL lead to death in quick order. If you're comfortable carrying a tourniquet, then go for it. The guidelines have changed on this in the last couple years at least where I work to allow tourniquet use in more situations. New guidelines also allow for removal of the tourniquet in the field while watching for bleeding, if it starts again tighten it up but if it doesn't then awesome.

Mechanisms for a deadly bleed don't have to be massive and catastrophic. A friend of mine (a doctor I might add) buried a knife in his thigh getting his lunch ready with his son on a ski trip. Maybe you catch your leg on a ladder and tear an artery, maybe something else happens. Tourniquets aren't too expensive, don't weigh much, don't take up much space and can/will save a life.

Now let's talk about chest decompression needles!

(None of this is basic by the way. First aid boils down to if it's wet keep it wet, if it's dry keep it dry, splint it if it's broken and when in doubt apply direct pressure)

Thanks, this is the kind of information I'm looking for.....can you point me to the guidelines you mention, or are they the property of your employer.

Reactions: Ana
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom