Cozumel’s diving is so “rushed”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem with this, no problem with that - you sound like a man on vacation!
Not quite yet, but the final countdown has commenced! I'm headed in to work in a few minutes, but the instant I can tell that no one is watching me... :D

C'mon Dogbowl, it's OK to say you were diving with 3P's while staying at the Casa Mexicana. Your personal experience (or anyone's for that matter) isn't really going to change anyone's views here of what they like about their preferred dive op or their preferred accommodations. If they are happy they'll stick with them and if they aren't they'll move on as there is no shortage of either to try.

That being said, every dive op everywhere has its pros and cons. What some divers view as pros can be viewed as cons by others and vice-versa. My goal is to find the dive op that delivers the most pros and the fewest cons for my style of dive vacationing of course which may not be yours or someone else's. For me, that op ended up being 3P's. There are slow cattle boats that leave later, plod along and give you 30 minutes to even an hour each way to set up your gear (3P's sets ours up for us) and lets you lay back and lounge in the sun. However, they won't be getting you to the better sites that are further away that the smaller, faster boats will get you to and the SI will generally be spent floating, not at a beach club's pier. Then, there are dive ops that don't take care of your gear you get to haul it and rinse and hang it yourself and deal with all that at your leisure. Personally, my leisure time is preferably spent reviewing UW pics with a cocktail in hand, not screwing around hauling, rinsing and hanging gear only to have to repack it every morning and repeat that routine every day. Also, the more leisurely the pace to the dive site (and back), the less bottom time on the sites. I prefer to dive a full 60-70 min per dive and I appreciate the level of efficiency 3P's delivers topside than dive with another that takes more time that comes at the expense of shorter bottom times. I pay for diving, not boat rides! Furthermore, I wake up 1/2 hour earlier on vacation in Coz than I ever do at home (although I also go to bed earlier on dive vacas than I ever do at home... LOL!)

I personally don't feel "rushed" with 3P's but view the operation as a finely oiled machine that delivers a level of service, freedom and bottom time that is unmatched for a dive op catering to divers who generally dive AL80's. Would I like an 8AM departure time from the shop in town? Of course! Who wouldn't? But if that 8AM time came at the price of losing 20 minutes of dive time? Nope. I'm happy to be at the shop at 7:40AM. As far as needing time to set up gear and such, 3P's does that so all that is necessary is to check it, get your weights, and put on your neoprene. As 3P's says, "Dive your DC, 700psi or 70 minutes, whichever comes first" or something like that. I've pushed it to 70 minutes so many times I can't count when it was just my wife and I and the DM or Steve still in the water. NEVER EVER have we been told it was time for us to surface and at 70 minutes, because we know the rules, up we'd come voluntarily. Yes, other divers waited on the boat while we were still diving for a long time but they dove their profiles and we were allowed to dive ours. Also, regardless of us being the last to surface the SI was never cut short and always governed by the last divers to surface. What other dive op on Coz does that and dives with AL80's? None that I know of.

Also remember, the DM's and Captain's days start well before 7:40 AM and end long after divers are back at their accommodations (remember there are also afternoon dives and this isn't even considering twilight dives that get thrown in). There is no shortage of people who thought they wanted to be DM's and when they got certified and learned the time underwater guiding divers represents only a small fraction of their work day and that the real work takes place before they ever see the first diver of the day and after they've said goodbye to the last they start to realize being a DM is a TOUGH job and there are many days when the last thing a DM wants to do is get wet again but they have to do it day-in and day-out with a smile because it is how they make a living. It's not the glamorous job most envisioned, it's work and it's hard work.

Anyway, simply stated, we can't have our cake and eat it too.

C'mon Dogbowl, it's OK to say you were diving with 3P's while staying at the Casa Mexicana. Your personal experience (or anyone's for that matter) isn't really going to change anyone's views here of what they like about their preferred dive op or their preferred accommodations. If they are happy they'll stick with them and if they aren't they'll move on as there is no shortage of either to try.

That being said, every dive op everywhere has its pros and cons. What some divers view as pros can be viewed as cons by others and vice-versa. My goal is to find the dive op that delivers the most pros and the fewest cons for my style of dive vacationing of course which may not be yours or someone else's. For me, that op ended up being 3P's. There are slow cattle boats that leave later, plod along and give you 30 minutes to even an hour each way to set up your gear (3P's sets ours up for us) and lets you lay back and lounge in the sun. However, they won't be getting you to the better sites that are further away that the smaller, faster boats will get you to and the SI will generally be spent floating, not at a beach club's pier. Then, there are dive ops that don't take care of your gear you get to haul it and rinse and hang it yourself and deal with all that at your leisure. Personally, my leisure time is preferably spent reviewing UW pics with a cocktail in hand, not screwing around hauling, rinsing and hanging gear only to have to repack it every morning and repeat that routine every day. Also, the more leisurely the pace to the dive site (and back), the less bottom time on the sites. I prefer to dive a full 60-70 min per dive and I appreciate the level of efficiency 3P's delivers topside than dive with another that takes more time that comes at the expense of shorter bottom times. I pay for diving, not boat rides! Furthermore, I wake up 1/2 hour earlier on vacation in Coz than I ever do at home (although I also go to bed earlier on dive vacas than I ever do at home... LOL!)

I personally don't feel "rushed" with 3P's but view the operation as a finely oiled machine that delivers a level of service, freedom and bottom time that is unmatched for a dive op catering to divers who generally dive AL80's. Would I like an 8AM departure time from the shop in town? Of course! Who wouldn't? But if that 8AM time came at the price of losing 20 minutes of dive time? Nope. I'm happy to be at the shop at 7:40AM. As far as needing time to set up gear and such, 3P's does that so all that is necessary is to check it, get your weights, and put on your neoprene. As 3P's says, "Dive your DC, 700psi or 70 minutes, whichever comes first" or something like that. I've pushed it to 70 minutes so many times I can't count when it was just my wife and I and the DM or Steve still in the water. NEVER EVER have we been told it was time for us to surface and at 70 minutes, because we know the rules, up we'd come voluntarily. Yes, other divers waited on the boat while we were still diving for a long time but they dove their profiles and we were allowed to dive ours. Also, regardless of us being the last to surface the SI was never cut short and always governed by the last divers to surface. What other dive op on Coz does that and dives with AL80's? None that I know of.

Also remember, the DM's and Captain's days start well before 7:40 AM and end long after divers are back at their accommodations (remember there are also afternoon dives and this isn't even considering twilight dives that get thrown in). There is no shortage of people who thought they wanted to be DM's and when they got certified and learned the time underwater guiding divers represents only a small fraction of their work day and that the real work takes place before they ever see the first diver of the day and after they've said goodbye to the last they start to realize being a DM is a TOUGH job and there are many days when the last thing a DM wants to do is get wet again but they have to do it day-in and day-out with a smile because it is how they make a living. It's not the glamorous job most envisioned, it's work and it's hard work.

Anyway, simply stated, we can't have our cake and eat it too.

I’m glad your shop works for you.

No need to be so defensive. I am not bashing any shop on the island. This is the way threads go south.

Also remember, the DM's and Captain's days start well before 7:40 AM and end long after divers are back at their accommodations (remember there are also afternoon dives and this isn't even considering twilight dives that get thrown in). There is no shortage of people who thought they wanted to be DM's and when they got certified and learned the time underwater guiding divers represents only a small fraction of their work day and that the real work takes place before they ever see the first diver of the day and after they've said goodbye to the last they start to realize being a DM is a TOUGH job and there are many days when the last thing a DM wants to do is get wet again but they have do it day-in and day-out with a smile because it is how they make a living. It's not the glamorous job they envisioned at the end of the day, it's work and it's hard work.

Thanks for posting what may be one of the top ten best responses in the history of responses on Scubaboard. Im nominating you for the prestigious "It should be obvious but needs to be said anyway" award. Everyone dives their ops for their own reasons, and one of the big reasons we dive ours is our favorite DM. His day starts around 6 every morning making sure the boat is right, all gear is on board and he has a smile on his face by 7:30 when we are supposed to be ready to leave. Since he is the point of contact with the divers, it's up to him to resolve any issues that arise. Divers not on the right boat, someone's gear didn't make it, diver left his reg in the room 20 minutes away, divers at condos or resorts not on the pier at their pick up time, or any other issue that arises immediately falls upon him (or her).

Great, we're ready to splash but there is bad current, or the site is crowded, or a divers fin strap just broke, and there is some idiot lawyer from Oklahoma with a tiny bladder that had to pee off the back of the boat...next where his gear is....

Ok, now we're all in the water, 4 divers are doing well staying together but the other 2 are chasing Aqua squirrels and doing their own thing, one is a photog who is 150 yards behind waiting to get the perfect shot of a trunkfish, just like the other 40 you have already come across. Now one guy is at 700 psi, photog is nowhere to be seen, squirrel boy is getting floaty, and you have to get everyone to a safety stop and on the boat...

Everyone is on the boat and alive, and photog is complaining because she didn't see a whale shark or a unicorn and was told they would be here. One guy can't find his mask but it was on his forehead before he got to the ladder, and one guy did not get the strawberry flavored air he specifically booked through his travel agent....oh and squirrel blew his safety stop has a rash and joint pain.

Only to do the safetystop, manage all the immediate issues, change the gear over with the Capitan, find a site with unicorn whale shark rays for photog, verify squirrel boys rash is from his banana allergy and his torn rotator cuff, and give strawberry a Jolly Rancher to improve the taste of his air. And splash again.

Second verse, same as the first.

Now back at the pier, drop everyone off, get the tanks and gear loaded, square the boat away, and head back to the shop. One couple tipped $20. Maybe get a few hours of a break and be back at the shop for a night dive to ready to go at 6:00.

So the moral of my rant, is Tip your divemaster and Capitan well and for Pete's sake (no, not that Pete) be nice! Any dive trip is highly fluid and Most DM's are true professionals and masters at keeping all the balls in the air. The capitans, shop staff, gear tenders, and everyone else pull this off perfectly day in day out 365 days a year. Don't forget to say Thank You!! I am a landlocked divemaster but there is absolutely no way I could DM in a high volume dives location like Coz. My hat is off to all those that pull this off with a smile on their face and your beer will always be on my tab!!

Rant over.....carry on!

Jay

Now back at the pier, drop everyone off, get the tanks and gear loaded, square the boat away, and head back to the shop. One couple tipped $20. Maybe get a few hours of a break and be back at the shop for a night dive to ready to go at 6:00.

You forgot that squirrel boy took off with strawberry's booties and the couple left their dry bag on the boat with their phones and room key.

Enjoyed your post. It's fun to run one's ideas through other people's minds/experience bases and get feedback and perspectives. I've stayed at Casa Mexican and dove with 3P's, and I've done boat and shore diving elsewhere, so here's how it looks from my point of view.

1.) 'Rushed' is relative to how fast one cares to move at baseline. I proceed from point A to point B. My wife (and near as I can tell her biological family) 'saunter' - we park and I'm almost to the store by the time she's starting to move away from the car. What is she doing back there?!?!?

2.) 'Rushed' meals are relative. I Internet surf on my phone, eat, soon the food is gone. I've noticed some people eat with others, and socialize while eating. Not sure what keeps them from choking... Had no trouble getting from CM to 3P's dive shop (close by). Main business was early morning getting the camera ready, making sure I had all my stuff (e.g.: dive computers, camera), etc...

3.) Fast trips to/from the reef keep boat rides short, less boring and helps those prone to sea sickness, and prevents having to get back so late in the day when diving a lot. 2 2-Tank boat trips/day were a wipe out in Cozumel.

4.) Some of us find the time, money and such invested in these vacations a big deal and since it's a dive trip, desire to wring all the diving we can stand out of it. Dive Op.s that offer morning & afternoon trips have to get a move on.

5.) Gearing up en-route to the site wastes less time and isn't a big deal if sea conditions are benign.

6.) Not sure why staff hurrying to get tanks changed between dives is a problem. 3P's did most of the work for me, and it was nice to get out of my gear shortly after the dive.

7.) Bagging up the gear en-route to the marina got me to the hotel faster so I could go find a place to eat supper out before passing out in bed.

For the style of diving you like, I'd consider:

1.) Live-aboards you already know about. Nowhere to go or get back to.
2.) Non drift diving with op.s that let you and buddy go off on your own and dive your tank.
3.) Shore diving - your pace, time, way, etc...
4.) Destinations and op.s that generally offer only morning trips. No rush back.
5.) A southern A.I. resort with short trips to/from the reef.
6.) If you really like 'leisurely' breakfasts, getting going slowly, etc..., maybe use an op. that offers 2 trips/day, but take the afternoon trip. You could probably sleep late, catch a late breakfast and snack for lunch, mosey over to the dive op. or pier, so at least part of your day would be slow-paced.

Ever tried diving Blue Heron Bridge in Florida? Granted it's one dive a day, but I think you'd like it.

I’m glad your shop works for you.

No need to be so defensive. I am not bashing any shop on the island. This is the way threads go south.

I know you weren't bashing 3P's Dogbowl, you were just commenting on your experience. If you intended to bash 3P's you would have mentioned you were diving with them. Everyone's contributions here are welcomed and need to be heard because there may be others who would prefer a more relaxed experience. There is nothing wrong with that and I think I speak for all (given the length that this tread has reached) that you raised a great point that warranted a lot of discussion. I appreciate your post as you shared your experience, gave others something to think about, and gave many a reason to post their thoughts in response who aren't involved in the next Roll Call. Keep posting Dogbowl! The start of the December 2019 Roll Call for me is about 6 months away for me... Anything posted here that fills that gap is fun.

I know you weren't bashing 3P's Dogbowl, you were just commenting on your experience. If you intended to bash 3P's you would have mentioned you were diving with them. Everyone's contributions here are welcomed and need to be heard because there may be others who would prefer a more relaxed experience. There is nothing wrong with that and I think I speak for all (given the length that this tread has reached) that you raised a great point that warranted a lot of discussion. I appreciate your post as you shared your experience, gave others something to think about, and gave many a reason to post their thoughts in response who aren't involved in the next Roll Call. Keep posting Dogbowl! The start of the December Roll Call for me is about 6 months away... Anything posted here that that fills that gap is fun.

I am also surprised that there is so much interest.

I stay at the Casa Mexicana and they provide a buffet breakfast, so breakfast isn't the issue, but it's a rush to get through breakfast and to the shop on time for the morning trip.

For the benefit of others who may use this thread for research, might be worth explaining about this. IIRC, Casa Mexicana's breakfast buffet opens at 7 a.m. Divers gather at Tres Pelicano's dive shop at 7:45 a.m. (and sit around a bit, before loading into vehicles for transport to the marina). You can walk out the front of Casa Mexicana, turn right, walk a short distance, take another right, and walk down the block to T.P.'s shop. Depending on how fast you walk, maybe 5 or 10 minutes?

Breakfast is a nice, long buffet, no waiting to order, and my 8-day stay there was generally easy access, without having to wait in a slow line.

My point is, you're looking about about 35+ minutes for breakfast. Decide for yourself whether that sounds leisurely, rushed or somewhere in the middle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom