Wetsuit and water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasper wendelboe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. Just got a full body 5mm and a 5 mm shorty hooded. Witg boots and gloves. What water temperature do you think i could dive in, in celsius. Thank very much.

Really depends on your cold sensitivity there is a lot of variation in recommendations. Also length of dive and air temperature mater. What works for a short 30 min dive won’t necessarily work for three one hour dives in a day; or if it is a hot sunny day that you can warm up in between dives it might be ok. Personally i would say no colder then 18-19 degrees Celsius if you have a high cold tolerance, 22-23 if you do not.

10-15C your results will vary.

Assuming full over shorty.

Just figured that shorty first would leave less exposed openings for water intrusion. In other words better sealing

What temperatures have you dived in so far, what exposure protection did you have, and was it adequate? I consider myself rather cold-intolerant and agree with loosenit2's 22-23 C estimate for wimps like me. I dived in Cabo in 23 C water with a 5mm (ETA: no hood though) and got a bit chilly on the 2nd and 3rd dives, until I added a Sharkskin jacket underneath.

In the UK, water temps 8 - 12C so far this year in a 5mm cressi semi dry and 3-5mm shortie on top. Cooler at 8C but I did 2 dives that day without feeling cold.

Definitely shortie on top for me. It all fits pretty tight and doesn't really flush much water.

You really have to find out what works for you, OP. Good luck!

As mentioned depends on your cold tolerance. For me a 5mm full suit is for about 20 degrees to about 27 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom