Royal Caribbean Cruise Diving - Roatan and Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our in Symphony of the Seas begins this Saturday.

Cool! I'm sailing the Symphony this coming November. Enjoy!

By the way don't forget to drop by the PADI dive center onboard the ship to chat up the instructors and dive theatre show rescue divers. If he's still on that ship, instructor Ulises is a real nice guy!

Pat

Returned from our trip. For anyone curious:

The dive shop for the “Certified Dive” for Roatan, Honduras port is Anthony’s Key. You take a tour bus (rustic, no AC) from the cruise port to Anthony’s Key Resort. It’s about a 20 minute ride to Anthony’s Key Resort from the cruise port. We hopped on one of their dive boats - we had about 20 or so divers onboard, all were from our cruise ship. We took a 4-5 minute boat ride to the first dive site. Had about a 40 minute dive. Then returned to the boat dock. At the dock they switched out empty tanks, and we had a few minutes to eat, drink water, use the bathroom, etc. they also send a cameraman with the group and you can see his videos/photos during this downtime. No food was provided with the excursion. They had a water cooler on board the boat. The 2nd dive was another short boat ride to the dive site. Saw lots of grouper on the 2nd dive. About a 40 minute dive again, then back to the docks, then back on the tour bus to go back to Port. We got back to port about 2 hours before gangway up. The port itself did not have much to do or see.

The dive shop for Cozumel is Sand Dollar Sports. Meet at the end of the pier, filled out some paperwork, then got right on the dive boat and went to the rental shop- maybe a 4-5 minute boat ride. People picked up /signed out their rental equipment there. Then about a 45 minute boat ride to Palancar site. We dove the Palancar caves site first. Max depth on this dive was supposed to be 80 feet but the guide took us down to 90’. Definitely have to monitor your own depth. 2nd dive site was about 20 minutes close to the cruise port, not as deep, maybe only 50’ max. They offered some cut up fruit and water on the boat. We did not return to the shop in between dives.

Cozumel notes: I am very happy that I brought my own SMB- there is A LOT of boat traffic. The dive shop did not supply an SMB with gear rental. I think most of the dive boat captains are responsible and acutely aware of all the divers in the water, but being able to inflate my own SMB for when we drifted away from the guide was a great comfort to me and my wife, especially if we came up a few minutes earlier than the guide. The guide did send up a DSMB on a reel towards the end of each dive, and towed it around for about the last 10-15 minutes of the dive. The guide just informed people who came up early to stay close to the buoy. The boats never anchored, they were constantly moving. Sand Dollar did not do a vocal role call at the end of the dive. I cannot say whether they were counting heads at the end of each dive or had some other system. I can understand how a diver could be left behind. Also Cozumel has really choppy waters it seems any time of year. Just keep this in mind if you’re prone to motion sickness. The Anthony’s Key dive sites were only minutes from the boat dock...

General notes: the excursion price included transportation to/from dive shops, BCD, Regulator, Wrights, Mask, Fins. Sand Dollar did not provide a snorkel from what I could see. None of the shops included wetsuits or dive computers. The regulator setup was 1st/2nd/Octo/Depth/PSI at both places. I brought my own reg setup and had no problem setting it up with their tanks. All tanks were yoke, I did not see any DIN setups.

If you have specific questions, I’m happy to answer them. I may edit this post in a few days to supplement with anything else I remember or that I think you may find useful.

Returned from our trip. For anyone curious:

The dive shop for the “Certified Dive” for Roatan, Honduras port is Anthony’s Key. You take a tour bus (rustic, no AC) from the cruise port to Anthony’s Key Resort. It’s about a 20 minute ride to Anthony’s Key Resort from the cruise port. We hopped on one of their dive boats - we had about 20 or so divers onboard, all were from our cruise ship. We took a 4-5 minute boat ride to the first dive site. Had about a 40 minute dive. Then returned to the boat dock. At the dock they switched out empty tanks, and we had a few minutes to eat, drink water, use the bathroom, etc. they also send a cameraman with the group and you can see his videos/photos during this downtime. No food was provided with the excursion. They had a water cooler on board the boat. The 2nd dive was another short boat ride to the dive site. Saw lots of grouper on the 2nd dive. About a 40 minute dive again, then back to the docks, then back on the tour bus to go back to Port. We got back to port about 2 hours before gangway up. The port itself did not have much to do or see.

The dive shop for Cozumel is Sand Dollar Sports. Meet at the end of the pier, filled out some paperwork, then got right on the dive boat and went to the rental shop- maybe a 4-5 minute boat ride. People picked up /signed out their rental equipment there. Then about a 45 minute boat ride to Palancar site. We dove the Palancar caves site first. Max depth on this dive was supposed to be 80 feet but the guide took us down to 90’. Definitely have to monitor your own depth. 2nd dive site was about 20 minutes close to the cruise port, not as deep, maybe only 50’ max. They offered some cut up fruit and water on the boat. We did not return to the shop in between dives.

Cozumel notes: I am very happy that I brought my own SMB- there is A LOT of boat traffic. The dive shop did not supply an SMB with gear rental. I think most of the dive boat captains are responsible and acutely aware of all the divers in the water, but being able to inflate my own SMB for when we drifted away from the guide was a great comfort to me and my wife, especially if we came up a few minutes earlier than the guide. The guide did send up a DSMB on a reel towards the end of each dive, and towed it around for about the last 10-15 minutes of the dive. The guide just informed people who came up early to stay close to the buoy. The boats never anchored, they were constantly moving. Sand Dollar did not do a vocal role call at the end of the dive. I cannot say whether they were counting heads at the end of each dive or had some other system. I can understand how a diver could be left behind. Also Cozumel has really choppy waters it seems any time of year. Just keep this in mind if you’re prone to motion sickness. The Anthony’s Key dive sites were only minutes from the boat dock...

General notes: the excursion price included transportation to/from dive shops, BCD, Regulator, Wrights, Mask, Fins. Sand Dollar did not provide a snorkel from what I could see. None of the shops included wetsuits or dive computers. The regulator setup was 1st/2nd/Octo/Depth/PSI at both places. I brought my own reg setup and had no problem setting it up with their tanks. All tanks were yoke, I did not see any DIN setups.

If you have specific questions, I’m happy to answer them. I may edit this post in a few days to supplement with anything else I remember or that I think you may find useful.

So far every dive I’ve done through the ships the dive shops all had yoke adapters for people who had din rigs. A few divers had din set ups. I bring my own adapter.

The cruise planner (RCI) lists the price w/o equipment at $119.

In the months before the cruise they will usually offer sales of 10-15% off from the published price. With the discount it is often in range of what it costs if you book the dive on your own.

In the months before the cruise they will usually offer sales of 10-15% off from the published price. With the discount it is often in range of what it costs if you book the dive on your own.

This is true. If you check every day you can sometimes find excursions on sale.

The private vendor 2 tank dive I booked In Roatan for Dec is $95 w/ equipment plus $20 for transportation to/from the port, so the cost is fairly close the ship's price. The difference is that instead of 20 on a boat (Anthony's Key that BlowBubbles mentioned) they carry no more than 6.

When I did my dive in St. Maarten I booked it privately with the same company that did the ship's dive. There were 14 on the ship's excursion there were 5 on mine and I paid $15 less.

There are some places (Coz?) it may pay to go with the ship because of time constraints, transportation or convenience etc.

There are some places (Coz?) it may pay to go with the ship because of time constraints, transportation or convenience etc.

The main place I would recommend the ship's excursion is Belize City. Belize is a tender port with a very long ride to shore, and the reef is also a fairly long boat ride from the port. With a ships excursion, the dive boat picks up the divers on the ship thus avoiding the tender to shore and it halves the distance to the dive site.

Cost to book through the cruise line?

The Roatan dive was about $120 per person. The Cozumel dive was about $130 per person. Price was for a 2-tank dive and transportation. Included the following equipment: Mask/Fins, BCD, Reg/Octo and Depth/PSI gauge console, weight belt and weights. Wetsuits were available for, I think, $10. Surface and bottom temperatures were about 81-82 degrees, we did not rent wetsuits.

Back
Top Bottom