Passport help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just pulled out my passport for a trip Friday looked at expiration date.... Oct 20th 2019. Oh crap! We have a.trip to Bonaire Sept 20th. Will they be ok with that little time left on it? Seems i read some places want 6 months left on documents. Or did I dream that up? It takes 4 to 6 weeks to renew (2:to 3 if expedited) but I have trouble trusting the gov't to do anything timely :wink:. It wouldn't be a problem except we have overseas trips planned for May 3rd, June 14th, July 27th and Sept 20th. Not really enough time between any of the trips. Thanks bill

Just pulled out my passport for a trip Friday looked at expiration date.... Oct 20th 2019. Oh crap! We have a.trip to Bonaire Sept 20th. Will they be ok with that little time left on it? Seems i read some places want 6 months left on documents. Or did I dream that up? It takes 4 to 6 weeks to renew (2:to 3 if expedited) but I have trouble trusting the gov't to do anything timely :wink:. It wouldn't be a problem except we have overseas trips planned for May 3rd, June 14th, July 27th and Sept 20th. Not really enough time between any of the trips. Thanks bill
What airline are you using to get there?

It sounds like it isn't an issue for Bonaire, but in the future or if it is an issue with some of your other travel plans, you can get passport renewals in less than two weeks if you go to a Passport office and have proof of travel plans for less than two weeks (you can make an appointment before that windows, but the visit must be during that two week window).

Get a Passport in a Hurry

that's a winner of a post, looks like you are good, I would check with your airline however

Bonaire is OK with a US passport that will expire within 6 months, but your airline to get you there may not be. Delta, for example, is pretty hard over on this. You'd have to check with your airline specifically.

Not sure where your May, June, and July trips are to, but if they are to a country that DOES require the 6-month post visit passport validity, you have little recourse other than to expedite a renewal like crazy....but by May 3? No way. Even in person, you have a preoblem. See Get a Passport in a Hurry. There is a passport office in Hot Springs. Passport Agencies

Probably safest just to apply for a new passport. You are going to want a new one for future trips anyways then to worry about s people not taking it.

I renewed earlier this year and it took about 10 days start to finish. Just remember to use the correct form to renew with. it is not that same one as the original issue although it will work. I think it is an DS-82 . and when you finish keep a cpoy of hte app in your deposite box. The next time you renew you can use it to insure you use the same info to avoid any mis matches from the last application. I filled it out online atttached a passport pic from wallgreens and mailed it in with the old passsport. I did not need to but i also sent a copy of my DL ,,,, MIL ID ,,, and birth cert. None of which were needed. The old passport covers those documents, they are on file already..... Also get the wallet passport card for the extra 30 dollars or so.

Depending on how you travel they may not accept any passport with less than 6 months left on the expiration.

I know someone whose friend just got turned away at the airline check in counter for passport validity. I wouldn’t risk it even if the country you are entering is okay with it. It isn’t worth getting turned around at the airport.

Do you live near a passport office? I’ve renewed mine in person the last 2 renewals. It’s a $60-70 expedited fee on top of regular renewal fees. You make an appointment and can get it done in person. You pick it up in as little as 24 hours but pick up is depending on how urgent your need is. Slow for me was 72 hours. The caveat to these appointments is that you need to be traveling in 2 weeks or less. I strongly urge you use this route if you can. Nothing to send in the mail or receive and get lost. It’s very efficient. If only the DMV were that way.....

Standard guidance for traveling abroad is to ensure you have at least 6-months left prior to your passport expiring. If you are within the 6-month window the country you are visiting can deny you entry. Whether they do or not is a gamble, but you will not be able to negotiate the issue with the US consulate from the customs and immigration office at the arrival terminal, they will just put you on the next flight back (perhaps at your expense).

Typical turnaround time for a new passport is less than 2-months. I just got mine done and had it in 3 weeks and I currently live overseas.

Overseas one does not need to send their passport in for the renewal. One takes it with them to wherever the application is being processed and then the individual retains the old passport until the new one arrives. When the new one is picked up holes are punched in the cover and first couple of pages of the old one and return it to you as a keepsake of your travels.

I understand that within the US one typically mails the passport in with the renewal application. My recommendation is to contact the U.S. Department of State Arkansas Passport Center and discuss it with them....they have provisions for folks in your situation that have travel plans that interfere with mailing the passport in and can either expedite processing or process your renewal the same way they do it overseas where you retain the old one until the new one is picked up as mentioned above.:

Arkansas Passport Center

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom