Cozumel’s diving is so “rushed”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feeling rushed? Usually, it's not the dive op's fault. That only leaves YOU!

Planning and problem solving seem to be lost skills among many divers. Mental and physical laziness seem to be the culprit. Divers are often their own worst enemy when it comes to having fun.

• Plan ahead
    • What do you need?
    • When do you need it?
    • MAKE A LIST AND CHECK IT THRICE!!!
  • Establish a schedule
    • Be a bit early
      • allow time for problem-solving
    • Be patient
      • You aren't the only one on the boat
      • A sense of humor covers a lot of frustration!
    • Be creative
    • Be flexible!
  • Practice!
    • Assemble your gear mentally and physically until it's rote
    • Focus on the difficult parts
      • Problem solve it!
      • Have you asked about it on ScubaBoard?
  • Shut up!
    • Stick to your schedule!
    • Don't visit friends until your gear is assembled
      • When first on the boat
      • Just after the first dive

That sounds like what I do at work, just without the pay part.
I take that back. My colleagues get paid even when they don’t do that.
What sort of vacation is this anyway?!

That sounds like what I do at work, just without the pay part.
I seem to do more work in taking a vacation than while at work, before, during and after. I always seem to have fun, because I feel that I'm the one responsible for it.

When I get home I typically feel like I need a vacation from my vacation. Though as I add tourist days at the end of my trip the feeling is a little less.

But even still, I still eagerly pack everything up and do it all over again. Even my weekend trips to South Florida or the Keys where I get home at zero dark thirty Sunday evening, or Monday morning.

1st Rule of SB

Don't be negative about:

Cozumel
Bonaire
Deep 6
Shearwater

Personally I'm glad you did, I've learnt alot about Coz diving habits. Glad I live with easy access to Indonesia :D

1st Rule of SB is actually don't start a thread and think you own it, control the course of discussion, and only posts that are kudos and praise are allowed. Others have equal right to express their opinion, even if it differs from the one expressed by the OP. This isn't an emotional support forum, it's a discussion forum.

This thread ran the course that most threads go here on SB. I shoulda known better than to post an honest opinion. Anything other than praises and kudos are often not well received.

It's too bad you feel this way.:( Given you're a relatively prolific poster, I just re-read the thread to see what was up. IMHO, it seemed most folks were pretty nice in offering up info on other Coz options that might work better for you on your next trip. Those that disagreed with your opinion seemed to take it pretty easy on you probably 'cause you're @Dogbowl and we've enjoyed reading your posts and watching you progress into diving & dive travel (and we love you :flowers:).

I was honestly a little confused by the point of your original post. With your post history, I was surprised that in giving your current opinion of the structure of Coz diving that you didn't include an admission that some of your perceptions could have been dictated by your own choices (you did do that later in the thread :)). Given the topic of your post you had to know you were "striking a bit of a match." IMHO, the term "rushed" or "rush" has a pretty negative connotation in diving and you used it a lot in your original post (some version of the term 18 times) to the point that without a touch of "self-effacement" it could have been interpreted as an indictment of something that many SB posters enjoy whether you intended it that way or not. Just saying that might have initiated some of the more "colorful" feedback, though to me it didn't seem all that harsh. :wink: All IMHO, YMMV.

Personally I'm glad you did, I've learnt alot about Coz diving habits. Glad I live with easy access to Indonesia :D

This doesn't help. Seeing an experienced diver come to this conclusion (even in jest) based on a subjective opinion may be why some folks reacted with some passion. :)

I know, I know...lighten up Francis. :dork2: It's the Internet and there are always going to be flies buzzing around. I just hate to see "good posters" feel put off. Back to diving... :clearmask:

It's too bad you feel this way.:( Given you're a relatively prolific poster, I just re-read the thread to see what was up. IMHO, it seemed most folks were pretty nice in offering up info on other Coz options that might work better for you on your next trip. Those that disagreed with your opinion seemed to take it pretty easy on you probably 'cause you're @Dogbowl and we've enjoyed reading your posts and watching you progress into diving & dive travel (and we love you :flowers:).

I was honestly a little confused by the point of your original post. With your post history, I was surprised that in giving your current opinion of the structure of Coz diving that you didn't include an admission that some of your perceptions could have been dictated by your own choices (you did do that later in the thread :)). Given the topic of your post you had to know you were "striking a bit of a match." IMHO, the term "rushed" or "rush" has a pretty negative connotation in diving and you used it a lot in your original post (some version of the term 18 times) to the point that without a touch of "self-effacement" it could have been interpreted as an indictment of something that many SB posters enjoy whether you intended it that way or not. Just saying that might have initiated some of the more "colorful" feedback, though to me it didn't seem all that harsh. :wink:

This doesn't help. Seeing an experienced diver come to this conclusion (even in jest) solely based on a subjective opinion may be why some folks reacted with some passion. :)

Most folks were really reasonable, you’re right. There were two or three that just simply couldn’t handle that others might not have the same opinion about a place’s style of diving than them. And they know who they are and they keep repeating their snark.

To those that offered advice, they were good advice and I gratefully thank them. They offered options I didn’t think about. To the other few, and I stress they are only a few, they should really give other places a try and maybe they can actually understand what I mean.

It is clear from most of the posters who offered advice that I’m not the only one who feels this way about the typical Coz diving style. I was just naive enough to post it.

To the other few, and I stress they are only a few, they should really give other places a try and maybe they can actually understand what I mean.

It is clear from most of the posters who offered advice that I’m not the only one who feels this way about the typical Coz diving style.

Then there are those that do dive other places and do understand what you mean, but don't think of your Coz experience as "typical." All good, enjoy your dive travel. I know I enjoy mine. :)

1st Rule of SB is actually don't start a thread and think you own it, control the course of discussion, and only posts that are kudos and praise are allowed.
Actually, the real first rule of ScubaBoard is to have fun while learning something. However, the rest of your post is spot on. If you find your expectations shattered, then either they were wildly out of whack or someone broke the ToS. In the case of the former, you should expect and even look forward to others expressing an opinion different than yours. Don't be so fragile, and please don't blame ScubaBoard that not everyone thinks like you. What a boring place this would be if only "yes men" posted here. I love a spirited discussion and love how it allows me to suss things out. How else would I learn and progress in my understanding if I simply rejected any perspective that disagrees with my understanding?

However, if you feel a thread is going off the rails, ie is getting way off topic, then please report the first offending post and let us know why you think it violates the ToS or the spirit of friendly discourse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom