DC2000 - Moisture in Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose, I second the customer service of Sealife. My DC 2000 stopped turning on. Full batteries, newly purchased batt with full charge didn't make a difference. I emailed them, next day response, I mailed the camera to them the next day. They troubleshot it down to the contacts were not making good contact with the battery and replaced the camera and gave me a new battery to boot. The carmera arrived yesterday. 4 days total. Can't beat that kind of service.

Tried the toll free number in an attempt to contact Customer Service, but it only works in the U.S.

Sent an e-mail describing the issue. Customer Service said I could send the housing back to them if I was in the U.S. or "if outside the US, you should try contacting the local distributor, to see if they can assist you with your problem".

My LDS contacted the Canadian distributor and advised him of the moisture issue. Got a call from my LDS yesterday, and I should have a new housing next week !!

I really wish I knew what was causing the moisture issue - dove yesterday and today, and water droplets were in the housing after both dives. Did get some great pictures though - among them a rock scallop and a ling cod !!

View attachment 507762 View attachment 507764

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

What lighting are you using and what camera settings for these pics. Very nice!

just a thought, but are you opening, loading it in a humid environment? probably wouldn't explain the 'droplets' to be honest though.. but if you are loading on a humid divedeck, you are going to get fogging pretty quickly once you get down to a cool depth.

If your hotel room A/C is cold and the setup has been inside during the night, and you set it up in the room then go out to the boat. You will have condensation due to the change in temp. Maybe not droplets, but definitely moisture. When I get up, first thing I do is set my camera stuff outside to acclimate to the ambient temperature then close up the housing. I have had moisture in the past while being on a trip, getting the camera ready or GoPro as well.

What lighting are you using and what camera settings for these pics. Very nice!
Thanks Trailboss - I get lucky on some shots !! I was using the Sea Dragon flash unit that came with the kit. The flash was set on level 1, and I had the diffuser on the flash. The camera was set on macro, quality set on normal, auto white balance, ISO 125, center metering, and center auto focus.

Divegoose

just a thought, but are you opening, loading it in a humid environment? probably wouldn't explain the 'droplets' to be honest though.. but if you are loading on a humid divedeck, you are going to get fogging pretty quickly once you get down to a cool depth.

Setting the system up at home, but it is not a humid environment. System then sits in the truck for at least an hour before I get into the water. Never noticed any fogging while on a dive. When I get home after the dive, the system goes into my rinse tank for 20 - 30 minutes, then onto towels to dry for about 3 hours before I open the housing and take the camera out. Definitely getting the droplets while on the dive, as the "taste test" reveals they are salt water.

Divegoose

Definitely not humidity then. I suspect you have a bum button somewhere on the housing. Based on how happy everyone else usually is with it, I would just cashin the replacement warranty.

My LDS ordered me a new housing from the Canadian distributor, and I picked it up on Wednesday. I have done two dives with the new housing, and not a drop of moisture to be found. :yeahbaby: Put a new moisture muncher in the housing, and it is almost original color. May have been a tiny bit of condensation going from a warm house, into a cold truck, and then into a cold ocean, but no water droplets, or any obvious sign of moisture. :thumb:

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Well about 30 dives with the new housing. Not a drop of moisture in it. Could never figure out why the previous housing was leaking, but glad to have those worries behind me.

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom