Best free video editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to put together a few highlights from several days worth of diving... you know, cut out the parts where there is nothing to see and just show the good stuff.

Not good for color corrections but just for cutting, splitting, joining, etc. Windows Movie Maker.

I don't think windows movie maker is available for free anymore. At least it wasn't the last time I looked for it.

@hammet , you don't indicate which operation system you use, so that could influence the results. Personally I use kdenlive, which is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac (I think). You could also look into Open Shot, or just do a search for "open source video editor". You really don't want to use freeware.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...vie-maker-is-no-longer-available-for-download

I don't think windows movie maker is available for free anymore. At least it wasn't the last time I looked for it.

@hammet , you don't indicate which operation system you use, so that could influence the results. Personally I use kdenlive, which is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac (I think). You could also look into Open Shot, or just do a search for "open source video editor". You really don't want to use freeware.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...vie-maker-is-no-longer-available-for-download
win10

DaVinci Resolve is quite feature rich, but is not exactly easy to use. If you think you might like to try it, search YT for DaVinci Resolve basic editing, watch a 10 minute video, and see if you think it's for you. Good color correction features, too. Resolve is the free version. Resolve Studio is the paid version.

as bmorescuba said Davinci Resolve has a free version available which is great for editing and colour corrections. takes some time to learn compared to Movie Maker type programs but not complicated by my opinion and there is lots of tutorials available. needs some gpu power from the computer though. After you get used to it you will love having the extra options and better colour grading tools. You may want to calibrate your monitor though (with a proper calibration tool, not by eye) to get the full potential out of it

Looking to put together a few highlights from several days worth of diving... you know, cut out the parts where there is nothing to see and just show the good stuff.

iMovie

I trim the video on my Mac first. Then use Dive + for color correction. Then put it all together in Shotcut.

I get the music I want on YouTube and then paste the link into MP3juices and it gives me a file I drag and drop into Shotcut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom