Why not add a second OPRV dump valve to the Stealth Tec 2.0?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any reason you went with the Tec if all she's done so far is single tank backmount? The bladder looks like it's just way too big. I'd sell the bladder and pick up a Classic bladder. It will be easier for her to reach the dump, and should be more than enough lift for what you're doing.

EDIT: Is that with it locked down correctly? It looks like it's splayed way far out, like it's not laying against get sides. Who fit it to her, it looks like it's not adjusted correctly to start with. This may just be a case of buying the wrong tool for the job. But I guess at this point might as well try and make it work if you can't find someone to swap with you.

Could always hit up SJ Alice Bennet (crystalpeaceburger on instagram) and ask how she deals with it. She's a pretty tiny human. Also post on the xDeep facebook group, post the photos, there are some smart cookies over there too, including the dude that designed it, and the manufacturer.

I’ll try chatting those people up. Considered the rec wing but our planned dives include drysuit and a pair of lp85s and one and later two stages. When we took a sidemount course last year didn’t like either of the available rigs but got ok with one when she switched to what I think were 300 bar 7 liter tanks. Not an option here.

We have a local Tec instructor that dives in and teaches sidemount up to full cave. I want to work out as many of the bugs as we can before getting his help to tweak it because this stuff takes a lot of time and there are two of us with different needs and there are lots of choices to make. When we worked with him before, we had our gear completely sorted out and we were able to spend our time with him on instruction and diving.

Of course sidemount is completely different since there isn’t the same kind of acknowledged standard setup.

A few things I noticed from the photo's:
1. The bungees pulling the sides to the chest seem very loose. Tighten them, I really mean that. They should be really tight. Then she will be able to use the deflator on the chest.
2. Tightening the side bungees will also provide easier access to the rear dump.
3. The wing will only be fully inflated at the surface if weighted correctly. I use the deflator only to go down, then use the back deflator for venting during the dive. Needed to getting used to that.

It seems to me a lot of these issues are caused by getting used to this very different kind of gear comparing to "normal" dive gear. Took me more than 50 dives to get used to sidemount being already an experienced BP/W diver. Give it some time, she will be fine once used to it.

* That is a HUGE looking wing for her!
+1 asking other smaller framed divers.
* Do you plan on overheads? With long penetrations? Does *she* need 4 big-ish tanks?
* How much lift does she need? Exactly, but prudently.
* I've read here that there's a practical limit to sidemount lift, and eventually you need to go back mount, for tons of stages etc. Even if you custom build the wing, that limit comes way sooner for someone 5'1" than say 6' 3" and 280 lb.. My guess is the tec is designed to approach the limit of what is possible, on a medium frame. (Thought with a great designed wing I'm not sure such a lift limit makes sense.)
* I'm not clear on the difference between Rec/Tec, beyond less lift. They seem to have the same general construction for the wing. The default harness straps are different.
* I might look at the Rec wing, with mods, and even tailoring.
* Or one of the less flexible, more structured, wing on your back, heavy steels sidemount rigs. If that helps.

Ops!! Rec has a good bit less lift. Tec: 19L, Classic: 16L, Rec: 13L.
* Video on a 14L Rec / Tec comparison saying the Tec is 4 cm taller 12cm wider.
xDeep Stealth 2.0 Tec?

I'd try the classic wing. you should be able to do 2 LP 85s and a stage with it. Depends how much additional led you need.

You can do two LP85's and two AL80 stages with the Classic wing.

After looking at the pictures again after having some coffee, tighten everything up. The bungees are too loose. It doesn't look like it was setup by someone who is properly trained on the Stealth.

If your goal is to do overhead diving, go see Edd Sorenson or head to Mexico and hit up Protec. They know how to set up the system properly, and are in caves every day of the week. I get that local instruction is nice, but would you take pilot lessons from a guy who flies once a month?

I’ll be there next week and have a few rec wings / setups if you want to try them. I bought them thinking I could figure it out on my own - not.

Someday I’ll spend some time in tulum but I have a lot going on as it is.....

You can do two LP85's and two AL80 stages with the Classic wing.

After looking at the pictures again after having some coffee, tighten everything up. The bungees are too loose. It doesn't look like it was setup by someone who is properly trained on the Stealth.

If your goal is to do overhead diving, go see Edd Sorenson or head to Mexico and hit up Protec. They know how to set up the system properly, and are in caves every day of the week. I get that local instruction is nice, but would you take pilot lessons from a guy who flies once a month?

I agree that the side bungees look to be VERY loose. With them properly adjusted you should not see the wing flaring out like you do in the first picture. This helps to create the space needed for your arm to reach the rear dump. As it is now, the wing not being more formed to the body (for lack of a better term) is what is keeping her from reaching it.

this is the mod for anyone curious. Grommet put in near the dump and at the top of the wing. Sprinkler hose run up and over the shoulder like it is on all of the rigs that had the Sorenson-Swap done. Definitely have to cant over to the left a bit to dump, but nice to have everything on your chest. Edd prefers to top-mount stages, and without this mod done, you can't do that with the xDeep.
View attachment 512529
@tbone1004 , do you have a photo from the front side of the wing of how the sprinkler hose routes to the shoulder?

Back
Top Bottom