Minimalist Setup for Shallow Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-flea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, if that title didn't peak your interest in "What the heck is THAT guy talking about" I'm not sure what would.

I've been going on canoe trips for nearly 4 decades now with a group of people and pretty much the areas we go are pretty shallow. Deepest areas are probably 12-20' feet tops. I know from all these years that my old friends tip over frequently after imbibing and that results in lost things. Other more younger versions of ourselves drink a little more, lose a little more, etc.

I've been diving for years but never took a tank on the canoe trip due to just all the gear and such. I recently, due to some extended range training and such have a nice AL40 and got to thinking it would be nice in these little 15' or so areas to just stay down on the bottom a little while and peruse what might be lost. Now, I know what you all are thinking....just free dive. Well, I just can't stand taking that breath, going down and just the moment you think you see something having to think about.....oh that air is 15' up. Then after getting that breath thinking, now where was that shiny object again?

The AL40 is nice and small, easily carried to the canoe. Fins and a mask, not a big deal either. Those items and the abbreviated reg set would all fit in a small bag. I wouldn't want to take my back mount or my sidemount BC/harness setup. It seems quite a bit of overkill.

My lack of knowledge on this topic ended up with a search using poorly chosen keywords, thus not much of anything in the results. I presume many other people have done things like this, a minimalist rig to just carry a small tank and stay in the shallows?

What are the key words I'm missing that might lead me to the knowledge I need?

Thanks

Lee

There is some guy on YouTube that does exactly what you want to do. Check out his equipment.

a couple of hose clamps and some narrow webbing make up a backpack style harness for the 40.

I've done the same off a kayak in the ocean. Clip the rig on the side of the canoe, freedive using the canoe as a marker, grab the rig when you spot something real interesting.

I spent some time diving off a canoe when I was much younger. Al 80, BC, and all, it was interesting. Suited up in the canoe and rolled off into the lake, took off gear in the water and climbed in, then lifted in the gear. Other than one amusing fustercluck, it worked out ok. I wouldn't / couldn't do it now.

Bob

There is some guy on YouTube that does exactly what you want to do. Check out his equipment.

I had already looked at a lot of his videos. He is using a Hyde Wingman Inflatable Life Jacket when he snorkels it, but when he actually throws a tank on he switches to a backmount BCD with a full AL80.

After a couple hours of googling I've found versions of Monkey Diving (sans DPV) that seem similar to what I want to do.

After much more thought, I have a XDEEP Classic 2.0 with the detachable wing. I just was looking at something a little quicker to don and doff. Perhaps a Hyde Wingman Inflatable Life Jacket with some sort of additional D-Rings to snap in a small cylinder.

Talk to Allan at A&D adventures. He can make you a custom basket harness for the 40. It's light weight, small and comfortable, perfect for what you are doing. Another option is his travel harness, it will work with most tanks

A&D Adventures Products

Video of a diver with one of Allan's basket harness

"Deepest areas are probably 12-20' feet tops. …."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are certainly a well trained physically in shape diver

12-20' feet tops

SDM

Uh, OK....so you quoted that the areas are probably 12-20' feet tops.
Then you follow up with "You are certainly a well trained physically in shape diver."
Then you repeat the 12-20' feet tops.

Are you making fun of the fact I used the ' symbol and then redundantly added the word feet behind it?

I'm really not sure what you are trying to tell me here. I am guessing that is some sort of sarcasm but cannot tell for sure as it is just text with no context. And is SDM your initials?

I'm at a loss as to where your post was directing me.

Thanks

Much easier, bring a weight belt with a moderate amount of lead. Tie a loop of rope onto one of the weights making a 4 inch diameter ring. Take a piece of cord and tie a barrel clip to the neck of the bottle. Clip the neck of the bottle to the ring and let the but of the tank fall between your legs. Normal regulator hose will reach from that position to mouth straight up. Reg might get a little cock eyed. Super cheap simple and zero need to bring a back pack.

I had already looked at a lot of his videos. He is using a Hyde Wingman Inflatable Life Jacket when he snorkels it, but when he actually throws a tank on he switches to a backmount BCD with a full AL80.

After a couple hours of googling I've found versions of Monkey Diving (sans DPV) that seem similar to what I want to do.

After much more thought, I have a XDEEP Classic 2.0 with the detachable wing. I just was looking at something a little quicker to don and doff. Perhaps a Hyde Wingman Inflatable Life Jacket with some sort of additional D-Rings to snap in a small cylinder.

I only watched a few of his videos. I find it annoying that he does not give locations. However, I do see him and his buddies diving with smaller tanks.

An XS Pony Pac seems ideal for what you want. However it is pricey. A cheaper alternative may be something like this. if you want buoyancy you can use a snorkel vest or a horse collar bc.

Back
Top Bottom