One Tank Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure it will, just as much as wet clothes will keep you warm, for a short while.
They will, until the air starts to cool the moisture in your suit down and by then you'll get colder.
How long that takes depends on the water and air temperature of course, and also stuff like wind and the temperature of the wind.
If you fall into cold water the first thing you should do when you get out is get out of your wet clothes and dry off (and find warmth, of course), because water WILL cool you down very fast, especially if the air is cold.
A surface interval of an hour on an average day probably isn't enough to make a noticeable difference for most people though, but some are more sensitive than others.

Another point to be made about it, if you're female you might not wanna walk around with a crotch full of damp sea water for an hour (or somewhat longer), unless you enjoy stuff like yeast infections and UTIs.

Just my 2 cents, but we all work slightly different from one another and what works for me might not work for you and vice versa.
Trial and error will show the way that works just for you, preaching that to others as a definite truth might lead them to a bad experience.

Soooo you are comparing wet clothes to my 8/7 wetsuit? heck even if its a 3 mil I have to call Barnacle Scrapings on your theory. wet clothes dont keep you warm in water a wetsuit does. were talking about the O.P. here who freezes at safety stop and waiting between dives and does NOT wear a wetsuit. tursiops stated you will get cold in a wetsuit between dives. I disagree.

I get cold getting OUT of my wetsuit between dives. I have never gotten cold sitting in a wetsuit for an hour on the boat. I have froze every time i took it off though. but i dont have a full warm coat either.

I have no noticeable feelings of cold in northern CA waiting in wetsuit. and i get cold super easy. i wear a 3 mil full wetsuit in 85 degree water. at 75 degrees im freezing in that wetsuit.

I understand if you are doing a long interval between dives that dry and in warm clothes is better than a wetsuit but thats not what we are talking about

Soooo you are comparing wet clothes to my 8/7 wetsuit? heck even if its a 3 mil I have to call Barnacle Scrapings on your theory. wet clothes dont keep you warm in water a wetsuit does. were talking about the O.P. here who freezes at safety stop and waiting between dives and does NOT wear a wetsuit. tursiops stated you will get cold in a wetsuit between dives. I disagree.

I get cold getting OUT of my wetsuit between dives. I have never gotten cold sitting in a wetsuit for an hour on the boat. I have froze every time i took it off though. but i dont have a full warm coat either.

I have no noticeable feelings of cold in northern CA waiting in wetsuit. and i get cold super easy. i wear a 3 mil full wetsuit in 85 degree water. at 75 degrees im freezing in that wetsuit.

I understand if you are doing a long interval between dives that dry and in warm clothes is better than a wetsuit but thats not what we are talking about

The reason you freeze when you take your suit off at the surface is because there's no insulation between the moisture on your skin and the colder air.
If you take your suit off and dry yourself off with a towel and put on a shirt/hoodie you will not freeze.
The only way moisture on your skin will not cool you down (whether you notice it or not) is if it is warmer than you are.
There's a reason the first response from your body when you get warm is to sweat, because the moisture on your skin will cool you off faster than if it was just air against your skin.
As I said, some people are more sensitive to temperature than others.
You may not feel a noteworthy difference but others might.
And if you're female there are other reasons than the above to get out of your suit once you get back on board.

The reason you freeze when you take your suit off at the surface is because there's no insulation between the moisture on your skin and the colder air.
If you take your suit off and dry yourself off with a towel and put on a shirt/hoodie you will not freeze.
The only way moisture on your skin will not cool you down (whether you notice it or not) is if it is warmer than you are.
There's a reason the first response from your body when you get warm is to sweat, because the moisture on your skin will cool you off faster than if it was just air against your skin.
As I said, some people are more sensitive to temperature than others.
You may not feel a noteworthy difference but others might.
And if you're female there are other reasons than the above to get out of your suit once you get back on board.

the point im trying to make is I dont think there is any noticeable cold factor of sitting in a fullwetsuit between dives when total interval is about an hour max. as long as you keep it on and fully zipped you are warm. this whole scientific theory of how you could get cold in a wetsuit misses the point.

how long is it going to take to get out of your wetsuit ? dry off? put on clothes? put on clothes where? then put back on a wet wetsuit which will then make you cold again. all in under one hour? really? Every dive? who does this? ive never seen ANYONE change to clothes between dives ever.

and how will those dry clothes also keep the O.P. warm during their safety stop?

have you read the entire thread? Did you read what the O.P. wrote? It does not sound like you did you are arguing semantics and picking apart ONE piece of the puzzle and you are not solving the O.P.s problem. I feel I did do just that. I feel like im being hit by a drive by shooter that doesnt know what the conversation was :)

Hi @miadukes

Wear enough exposure protection to keep you warm on your dives. Put on a good boat coat on the surface if it is cool/windy enough to chill you. Follow these simple rules and you will warm for your dives. I am often the only warm person on the boat. I often loan my extra jacket to someone who is shivering.

@miadukes

A couple of thoughts since your 2 biggest issues are sea sick during the SI and being cold.

I suggest 3mm long. Im also from south Fl and weather is starting to warm up. However, you might not notice in the water cause you're having fun, but if you're getting cold between the dives that's usually a sign that you're getting cold during your dive.

Now about the long SI..
Keep the dives shallow so the SI is brief..
In Ft Laud try American Dream Dive charters.. They usually do a 70 ft wreck followed by a shallow 30 ft reef. SI is minimal and usually consists of trip from one location to the next.
Rainbow Reef in Key Largo (if AOW) deep wreck followed by shallow reef. Or u can choose 2 shallow reefs. Same as above.

Long SI is usually due to 2 deep profile dives so keep that in mind.

Also get the windfinder app. Its pretty accurate and you can see when the waves look good. If prone to sea sickness wait for mild days 1.5 ft waves or less..

Next week is looking sweet!!

the point im trying to make is I dont think there is any noticeable cold factor of sitting in a fullwetsuit between dives when total interval is about an hour max. as long as you keep it on and fully zipped you are warm. this whole scientific theory of how you could get cold in a wetsuit misses the point.

how long is it going to take to get out of your wetsuit ? dry off? put on clothes? put on clothes where? then put back on a wet wetsuit which will then make you cold again. all in under one hour? really? Every dive? who does this? ive never seen ANYONE change to clothes between dives ever.

and how will those dry clothes also keep the O.P. warm during their safety stop?

have you read the entire thread? Did you read what the O.P. wrote? It does not sound like you did you are arguing semantics and picking apart ONE piece of the puzzle and you are not solving the O.P.s problem. I feel I did do just that. I feel like im being hit by a drive by shooter that doesnt know what the conversation was :)

I adressed the line of your post that I qouted because it's wrong, not much else to it really.

Back to OP

Joys of shore dives are that you can dive on your own schedule rather than a boat’s. Shallower dives are usually warmer, longer and often have more life.

People have different tolerances to cold. I have been on dives where one diver wears a rash guard, one a 5 mil and both are comfortable. It’s more useful to know water temp and that you personally, for example, need a 3 mil between 80 and 85. A 5 mil between 75 and 80.

A hood helps a lot. You lose a high percentage of body heat from your head.

2nd and 3rd dives in one day feel much colder. You have already lost heat.

Find what works and is comfortable for you, and remember you are Diving to have fun.

....Another point to be made about it, if you're female you might not wanna walk around with a crotch full of damp sea water for an hour (or somewhat longer), unless you enjoy stuff like yeast infections and UTIs..........

So never swim in a lake all day or use a rope swing from the shoreline? I've read some wild stuff, but this is the tops. You must only dive in a chlorine pool.

So never swim in a lake all day or use a rope swing from the shoreline? I've read some wild stuff, but this is the tops. You must only dive in a chlorine pool.
Nobody said that.
Female genitalia differ from men quite a bit, one example is their urinary tract is a lot shorter which makes it more prone to infections.
Sitting around with damp underwear will increase the risk of getting a UTI or yeast infection.
You're not guaranteed to get one, but it will absolutely increase the risk of it happening.

I don't limit myself to chlorinated pools as I'm male and don't really have much trouble with the above, but if you think it's all BS you should probably ask if you can sit in on a local sixth grade biology/sex ed class.

I figured if someone is prone to UTI for whatever reason having wet clothes may become a factor. But I can't imagine the wet clothes being THE one factor causing it. Otherwise I'd been with one long infection since I stopped using diapers. About a third of my life I've been in a bathing suit or a wetsuit.

Not that this subject has anything to do with the OP who asked for 1 tank charters. No to be analized on why she wants 1. ...And further told what to wear or not to wear.

Oh well... Scubaboard .... that's how posts go.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom