Equalising and ear problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akakinder

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in my open water training and would like some advice please. About a month ago, I had a bit of a sniffle and when I couldn't equalise - after, I felt my right ear was blocked. It didn't hurt or have any water in it. I had a doctor check it, she couldn't see anything so put it down to congestion. A week passed and I was pretty sure it was fine again, but then I got the flu! A really long (10 days) heavy bout of the flu. I still felt a little pressure in my ear but didn't know if that was okay or not. The following week, I went ahead and did the session. At first it was totally fine but then they'd pop and feel full again and my right would get itchy? So I stopped the session diving and we did other stuff. My instructor told me he was quite concerned as I was having issues at barely any depth. Hearing this wasn't fun (pardon the pun). I went to have my ears tested again. An audiologist concluded I had no hearing loss or noticeable damage. So my question is, should I dive? I have never had a problem with my ears or equalising before, so it's most odd. I'm not really sure what I should do now. If I'll make it worse by diving or if it's actually okay. As it stands, I still feel a slight pressure/ itch, and can make them both pop by doing the normal pinch and blow. I really hope this doesn't mean I can't dive... I've asked to see my dive doctor but he hasn't got back to me. Any advice on this would be more than greatly appreciated as I'm not sure whether I should go to my next session or if there's treatment I can do?

Thank you so much everyone
Amy :)

Amy,

Just go see your dive doctor.

You need to be able to equalise your ears.

Perhaps some "gunk" has moved into your inner ear when you tried to equalise during your cold / flu period.

Good luck

Hi guys,

I'm in my open water training and would like some advice please. About a month ago, I had a bit of a sniffle and when I couldn't equalise - after, I felt my right ear was blocked. It didn't hurt or have any water in it. I had a doctor check it, she couldn't see anything so put it down to congestion. A week passed and I was pretty sure it was fine again, but then I got the flu! A really long (10 days) heavy bout of the flu. I still felt a little pressure in my ear but didn't know if that was okay or not. The following week, I went ahead and did the session. At first it was totally fine but then they'd pop and feel full again and my right would get itchy? So I stopped the session diving and we did other stuff. My instructor told me he was quite concerned as I was having issues at barely any depth. Hearing this wasn't fun (pardon the pun). I went to have my ears tested again. An audiologist concluded I had no hearing loss or noticeable damage. So my question is, should I dive? I have never had a problem with my ears or equalising before, so it's most odd. I'm not really sure what I should do now. If I'll make it worse by diving or if it's actually okay. As it stands, I still feel a slight pressure/ itch, and can make them both pop by doing the normal pinch and blow. I really hope this doesn't mean I can't dive... I've asked to see my dive doctor but he hasn't got back to me. Any advice on this would be more than greatly appreciated as I'm not sure whether I should go to my next session or if there's treatment I can do?

Thank you so much everyone

You tried diving with a sniffle. Thats not safe. you tried diving right after the flu, not safe...again if sinuses are not clear not a good idea.

If you are completely healthy and have no sinus blockage then yes go try to scuba. If there is any issue you know you need a check up.

but you should never dive with a cold. reverse blockage coming back up from depth can cause damage.

What you've described is very common. Your audiology results are very encouraging, and the fact that you can pop easily with a gentle pinch and blow is perfect.
What you've discovered is the risk of diving with a cold. It's not surprising that problems start even in very shallow water, because that's where the greatest change in relative pressure occurs. Don't dive (or do confined water lessons) unless you're symptom-free.
Now that you have a brief track record of small problems, your instructor may be a little spooked. Don't worry. Perhaps get one private lesson where you just work on slowly descending to the bottom of the pool as you equalize early and often (not hard, just often).
If your instructor is too worried, just get a new instructor. You can do this. The early hurdles are the biggest ones, mentally. In a few weeks, you'll wonder what you were worried about.

Diving Doc

Definitely, lesson learned! It was barely a sniffle so didn't think anything of it beforehand. But after hardly submerging and feeling my ears about to pop with pressure, I took notice then. I'm grateful no damage has been caused. Thank you for the very important stern reminder.

Hello sir,

Thank you so much for your time and advice. If it's okay, I have dropped you a message. Once again, I appreciate it greatly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom