How do you feel about Chinese made gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chinese made gear is a very broad term. Some high quality items by very respectable companies are sourced and produced in China. Other are complete crap. So it depends on what exactly we are talking about

Are you talking about the made in China gear with the made in China label on it
or perhaps the special made in China gear with the made in USA labels on them

Gear is gear, it's mostly good, cut out the middle guy and it's buy good gear cheap

My just out of warranty Chinese manufactured YS-D2 strobe ended up as a $600 brick. This was apparently the norm for these units.

The later YS-D2J units are now made in Japan, with all reports showing greatly improved reliability.

Just one data point, but a painful one.

Lance

Chinese made gear is a very broad term. Some high quality items by very respectable companies are sourced and produced in China. Other are complete crap. So it depends on what exactly we are talking about

I agree. If it's sourced and backed by a reputable brand, I don't have a problem. Let's face it, most of the stuff we buy is.

However I probably wouldn't by anything by a generic brand I didn't know, particularly life sustaining equipment.

It is not about where something is made, it is about the design and quality control in manufacturing. If XX company contracts with a Chinese manufacturing company that can be good or bad. If XX company has high standards they will have a good design and QC in place to make sure what is manufactured meets their standards. If a company does not have a QC program in place you have a higher probability of getting bad or malfunctioning gear.

If you are talking about a Chinese company selling their own knockoff or original design direct to consumer then you are taking a big chance in not knowing whether the design and QC is good or bad; not a chance I’m taking when it is my life but every person has one life to spend however they want.

Also important to note that everything i said above applies no matter where the manufacturing takes place. Just because something is manufactured in Norway, or Germany, or the USA does not mean it is inherently safer or good, it is all about good design, manufacturing process, and Quality Control.

Crap products can be found coming out of any country.

The way this is worded leaves so much to interpretation. Are you wanting opinions on world manufacturing shifting to a single country? Manufacturers (brand) in one country but sourcing manufacturing in another? The sometimes lack of ethics that some manufacturers sometimes show? Manufacturers in China with no connection to any other manufacturer making there own parts off there own designs and selling them cheap? Or the version of that where the designs are not really there own? Human rights? Pollution? Over population? cheating the legal systems? Sanitary conditions? The list goes on.

So what are you asking about?

Does China include the Republic of China? i.e. Taiwan. Some quality gear comes out of there including a couple favorites here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom