Has anyone tried getting a prescription scuba mask (for vision)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charles Graves

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just recently bought a replacement scuba mask, and I got it corrected (-2.0 near sighted, to help see far away) and it's honestly amazing! Looking through it has really made diving so much better. I feel less disoriented, I can see equipment and gauges better, and I can see the marine life and everything else much better too. It makes the diving experience so much better its crazy! I was able to get the prescription for just $150 extra, (they fuse prescription lenses to the inside of your mask), so $240 total including the mask itself and fused corrective lenses inside of it (The lenses are the same size as the mask so you can see in every direction perfectly)

Not sure if anyone on here has tried this, but if you have bad or just decent vision, and not 20/20, I really recommend getting this if you have $150 or so to spare. It makes diving 10x better and is also probably safer as well

Wore a prescription dive mask for 20 years before I had Crystalens and Lasik done. The Rx mask was good, the vision after Crystalens and Lasik was much better. Plain Diopter Lenses were something that I tried at the beginning, was unhappy with, and rapidly switched to a prescription mask, - not a hell of a lot more expensive than diopter lenses from the dive store, but much better.

Michael

The diopters are great, but not for everyone. Aside from inability to correct for bifocals with diopters, many folks forget to consider their astigmatism. That requires the Rx when it is significant.

Used a magnifier on my right lens for a while so I could read my gauges and computer but since I'm getting older my distance vision is getting more distant. I bought a new mask a couple of years ago and had bifocal lens put in. Costs a little more than 150.00 but well worth the cost. I can see very well underwater now.

+1. I used HOME Sent them my mask and prescripton (I've got astigmatism - different in both eyes) and now see perfectly underwater.

Lots of threads on here about vision correcting lenses. My wife and I have been diving with SeaVision masks for over a decade. Hers has had her stable correcting prescription in it from day one, mine has changed from reader only to full prescription recently.

I was interested in SeaVision, but they aren't available in my prescription.
I've had a Deep Blue prescription mask for about six years. It was reasonably priced, though I would like something a little more comfortable when I replace it.

I have a strong Rx, and the mask that was made for me (by perhaps the most highly recommended Rx dive mask company in the US) had lenses that were so thick at the edges that they distorted my peripheral vision. I tried them once and never used them again. So I suppose it depends on one’s Rx. For my eyeglasses I have super high index lens material, and perhaps that wasn’t available for mask lenses at the time—I have no idea. This was over 10 years ago.

The lab I use does have high index glass available for mask prescriptions. But a mask lens still has more area than an eyeglass lens, so the thick edges will be more obvious and pronounced on a strong prescription.

I've been having trouble reading my gauges since I hit 40. I just sent my favorite mask to seethesearx.com to have lenses put in and it actually arrives in the mail today. I will give you an update once I get it. I'm very excited because I think there's a lot more I'm missing than just the gauges

Back
Top Bottom