Review of Deep 6 Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @CAPTAIN SINBAD for the reply and info. If I understand correctly, your Makara with a heavy undergarment, requires less lead than your condensed neoprene Drysuit but less than your 3mm full wetsuit, which was 6 pounds, with other factors being the same. Did I get it right?

(LOL... your “digging through” is a good reminder for me to keep a good log book)

Here's me in mine today. I'm tall and skinny, so a custom suit was my only option if I wanted something that actually fit. I'm wearing my base layer, a fourth element x core vest, and fourth element arctic undergarments. Water was 50 degrees and I was toasty warm for the whole dive. I used 20 lbs with a faber hp100, but am sure I'll drop a few as I get a better feel for the suit.
20190505_172800.jpg

Here's me in mine today. I'm tall and skinny, so a custom suit was my only option if I wanted something that actually fit. I'm wearing my base layer, a fourth element x core vest, and fourth element arctic undergarments. Water was 50 degrees and I was toasty warm for the whole dive. I used 20 lbs with a faber hp100, but am sure I'll drop a few as I get a better feel for the suit. View attachment 517948

Yeh, @matt86 the Makara looks pretty streamlined on you! Nice! Good fit with your undergarment?

How does that 20 pounds compare to the weight used for your wetsuit with the same gear?

One last question, how long did it take you to get your Makara?

Yeh, @matt86 the Makara looks pretty streamlined on you! Nice! Good fit with your undergarment?

How does that 20 pounds compare to the weight used for your wetsuit with the same gear?

One last question, how long did it take you to get your Makara?

I used 10lbs with my aqualung solafx 8mm semi dry. I'm sure I could drop 5 lbs of lead with the drysuit and be fine, but I like to use quite a bit of air in the suit. The fit is perfect with my current undergarment, but I'm glad my weight doesnt fluctuate much because there's not room for much more in the core. I ordered it at the end of November and got it at the end of February.

Thanks @CAPTAIN SINBAD for the reply and info. If I understand correctly, your Makara with a heavy undergarment, requires less lead than your condensed neoprene Drysuit but less than your 3mm full wetsuit, which was 6 pounds, with other factors being the same. Did I get it right?

(LOL... your “digging through” is a good reminder for me to keep a good log book)

No. So here the breakdown starting from the lightest moving to the heaviest.

1) 3mm wetsuit = 6-8 lbs in saltwater. (lightest)
2) Makara with Arctic Expedition Undergarment
3). O'three condensend neoprene with sweat shirt (did not need the Arctic to dive in the same temperature of mid 40s)

Hope this makes sense?

Regarding the weight question, I took my Maraka to a pond just down the road this evening to try to dial in the weight, since it's a new dry suit (and I'm unused to dry suits). I'm 5'10", about 185 pounds unfortunately. I tried a couple of different insulating layers, and strangely the relatively thinner one didn't result in needing less weight. My bulky undies were warm in about 53 degree F water but left me feeling like the little brother in The Christmas Story (and I needed help putting on and taking off the dry suit), and my trimmer backpacking undies were a bit cool but OK (and easier to use). With a half full HP100, heavy fins, and no air at all in the dry suit I used about 18 pounds of lead. Expected to need more (definitely used more when I used to dive with a half inch of neoprene). May need more weight to keep more air in the dry suit, to be a bit more comfortable, but I'm not far enough along yet in my class to have figured that out.

Thanks @pauldw, informative post! So with your test dive you were negative to neutrally buoyant with 18 pounds and no drysuit air added? Please keep us informed as you dive more.

By the way, how long was your wait for the custom Makara?

PS. Did you really dive with a 1/2 inch (12.5mm) suit? Wow?

PS. Did you really dive with a 1/2 inch (12.5mm) suit? Wow?

1/4 inch farmer John and 1/4 inch full jacket over it, so 1/2 total on the core. Wet suits sure are simpler than dry suits!

@CAPTAIN SINBAD Now that it's been four years, how has the suit held up? Any changes in your views on it?

I had the privilege of diving with @CAPTAIN SINBAD a few weeks ago. Was my 1st Deep 6 suit I've seen in person. It looks like it has held up well. I'm sure he'll chime in, but to me it looked like a great suit.

I did notice a brass zipper on the front.. not sure if that's standard or you get a choice. I know most are opting for plastic YKK these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom