Liveaboard nightdives question.

On liveaboard I would or I do prefer:

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ministryofgiraffes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
on the last couple of liveaboards we have asked the captain if we can move the night dive to an earlier time, just after sundown with dinner being an hour later ( this usually means dinner at 8pm as opposed to 6pm and night dive at around 6:30pm as opposed to 7-7:30pm)

Reasons for this include being too tired to nightdive after dinner, too full, not being able to enjoy a beer or glass of wine with dinner, proper shower before dinner in your P.Js etc.

We honestly have had no complaints from anyone and most people have gone out of their way to comment on how they now prefer it..I’m obviously conscious that this may not in fact be the case though. Can I just have a quick straw poll asking if people prefer or not.

The only challenge we once had was a guy putting across a valid argument that the nightlife may not be fully awake yet, but after the second day he conceded that this wasn’t the case and he actually preferred it.

Keen to hear thoughts/opinions.

I've never been on a liveaboard; I'm surprised they would do dinner before the night dive. I prefer to eat around 8pm whether I'm diving or not, and I very much prefer a drink with dinner.

I've seen it done both ways. I suppose I prefer dive first even though it makes dinner kind of late. If dinner is first, the desire to crash for the evening often overtakes my desire to night dive.

We comply with the usual practice of the boat, but most LOBs that we have been on have the night dives after dinner and any night divers refrain from drinking at dinner. The idea is that it will be fully dark and the nocturnal creatures will all be out - rather than a dusk dive when the day critters are going to bed, but the night ones are not yet awake and active.

We did both on the TC Aggressor. The late night dives were my favorites of the whole trip, but the dusk dive was nice as well.

We only had a few night divers, everyone else threw in the towel early and let the rum take over!

I haven't been on one so this is something I'll have to find out before I go.

Maybe just mix it up, one option, then a different one for the next day?

i considered suggesting this, but on reflection, one of the great things about liveaboards is that you just get into the routineand can go on autopolit... all of the diving can put the body under quite a bit of strain and there tend to be older divers on liveaboards, so 'i' and i imagine most of 'they' much prefer a routine to stick to... if you start mixing it up, it can get a little overly fatiguing....

i'd hate for someone to decide not to do a dive because of some idea i had....

Back
Top Bottom