Best free video editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iMovie is pretty good for basic video editing. Cutting clips, effects, slo mo, adding soundtracks all is pretty easy. Dive+ is great for color correction but you have to transfer your file to phone or tablet and then back again to your PC which is a bit tedious. I usually do all my editing raw and then color correct the final file.

Without a doubt, Shotcut - Home. Here's my recipe for color correction:

Import your clip(s) then:
  • Filter -> White Balance (use sand, skin, greys or whites to balance)
  • Filter -> Hue/Lightness/Saturation (small Hue adjustment +/-5%, reduce Lightness >5%, big saturation adjustment >150%
  • Filter -> Contrast (50-55%)
  • Filter -> Sharpness if necessary (40-50% works for me)
See https://youtu.be/9DiJbS1YYiA

I have also used “Filter->Color Grading” to fine tune these levels, but the above is the most efficient recipe I’ve devised so far.

Caution once you dive deeper than 15m then the reds may be too weak to recover - this is a consequence of greater light absorbtion by the water. You may need to use underwater video lighting unless the underwater visibility is extremely good.

Before you dive, make sure you ‘lock’ your camera’s white balance to avoid color drift. I have produced a document of camera setup tips here - Resources - Barnsley BSAC Divers

Back
Top Bottom