A weird regulator issue.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok this one is weird and never heard of it before.

Girlfriend using a rental regulator.
Rented from a dive shop I trust and I know they service the gear on schedule.

2nd dive of the day about 1/2 way thru the dive and 40 feet deep.

The regulator starts acting like the tank is not open all the way. It would only give a small breath.

The computer was bouncing between empty and 1600 psi. Weird every indication tank wasn't fully open.... but it was.

Girlfriend did great didn't freak just took the small breaths and we slowly ascended with her on my octopus. I did take a couple breaths off her reg underwater so I could see what she was trying to tell me.

Called the dive shop just to let them know they ask... was the tank all the way open?

Yes and this was the shallow part of the dive 1/2 way thru it.

No problem on dive 1 or the deeper first 1/2 of dive 2.

Weird never heard of this problem like this other then the tank not being fully opened., but then why not act like this the whole dive or when we where deeper?

Now just to add a little nugget, before the trip we used the regulator in the pool. We saw the dive computer flash the warning lights for a split second. I figured since the computer just came back from oceanic for service I better keep an eye on it and have her use 2 methods to monitor tank pressure.

So I am pretty sure the computer detected the regulator issue happening in the pool.

If the shop discovers anything when they open the regulator I'll update the thread.

Of course she is using a different reg the rest of the dive.

Weird......

Sounds like the sinter filter in the reg was clogged by many dives of saltwater crust (over a year of abuse!), I would no longer have your trust in the diveshop and would rapidly buy my own regs (and take them elsewhere for service).

If I'm wrong I apologize to your diveshop, but I don't think I'm wrong.

Michael

If the pressure gauge was erratic AND the regulator was erratic, then the problem would seem to be in the first stage. Whose tanks were used? Have heard of reg issues due to material in tank. Leading to first stage issues.

If the pressure gauge was erratic AND the regulator was erratic, then the problem would seem to be in the first stage. Whose tanks were used? Have heard of reg issues due to material in tank. Leading to first stage issues.

Don't overlook the tank valve itself.

Bob

I agree tank valve , there was a Sherwood that would change ip if the body was wrenched on to tight 3 piece body(that's how you adjusted ip ) forget the reg name

Has to be something before the HP chamber so filter, valve, or dip tube. As it worked fine previously, I'll join in the conjecture and bet a bit of trash got into one of the previously mention parts and obstructed the flow. Best thing here is that she didn't freak and cork to the surface. Good for her and to you for keeping your wits and dealing with it.

Back
Top Bottom