7mm wetsuit suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with JMJ has not been great. I had a custom suit made several years ago: they measured me very quickly, but afterwards I had to come back for alterations several times and the suit never fit right. Also their neoprene was very stiff. Perhaps it's changed more recently.

Based on my experience I advise to find a suit that fits right off the rack, as then you know exactly how the suit will fit don't have to face surprises.

I ended up buying a wetsuit yesterday--a Henderson Thermaxx 7mm. Will report back once I try it out next week if anyone is interested.

I was at my local dive shop returning my rental gear, and since they carry the Aquaflex I've had my eye on, I figured I'd try it on. But they didn't have my size (12) or anything close in stock; the guy said the last time they placed an order the company only sent 4s and 6s because the larger ones are on back order. He suggested I try on the Thermaxx, which he said was their best-selling suit and also the stretchiest/easiest to get in and out of. He did warn me they run large; he gave me a 12 and also another model Henderson in a 10 to try on. The 12 was indeed too big; I had giant air pockets at my lower back and under my arms. The 10 in the other model had the same problem, but for some reason the 10 Tall in the Thermaxx fit perfectly. I decided to just go for it; it was indeed easy to get on and off, you can't beat a perfect fit, and people do seem to like this one. Also it was more than $100 cheaper than the Aquaflex, which was a nice bonus.

My experience with JMJ has not been great. I had a custom suit made several years ago: they measured me very quickly, but afterwards I had to come back for alterations several times and the suit never fit right. Also their neoprene was very stiff. Perhaps it's changed more recently.

Based on my experience I advise to find a suit that fits right off the rack, as then you know exactly how the suit will fit don't have to face surprises.

I had the exact same experience with JMJ about 15 years ago. Then they got a softer neoprene. After having had nothing but custom wetsuits since the late 1970's (when Mark Kettenhoffen was making them) I would never buy an off the rack suit for scuba. My custom made 5mm JMJ farmer john/hooded jacket keeps me warmer in 58 F water than my old 1/4 inch did in 68 F water. Just my experience, YMMV. M

I ended up buying a wetsuit yesterday--a Henderson Thermaxx 7mm. Will report back once I try it out next week if anyone is interested.
As promised, it was easy to slide on and off, and kept me warm. We'll see how it holds up over time, but so far I'm happy with it, and relieved to have one equipment decision out of the way.

As promised, it was easy to slide on and off, and kept me warm. We'll see how it holds up over time, but so far I'm happy with it, and relieved to have one equipment decision out of the way.
That's exactly what I use and it's the best wetsuit I found for shore diving in S Calif waters. I just put an old hooded vest over the suit, gloves and boots and I'm all set. It works better than either of my custom suits I had made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom