New Mask Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The traditional way of putting a mask on your face without the strap and breathing in is flawed because you can make a poorly fitting mask stay on.

A better method is to tilt your head back, put the mask on your face, put a reg/mouthpiece/snorkel in your mouth, and have someone look to see if there are any gaps and that the silicone goes around your eyebrows.

If trying to decide between two masks, I'd suggest considering which has a better angle of view, make sure you can still squeeze your nose with gloves if you wear them, and which has lower volume. If I missed anything, please chime in.

Scubapro Devil mask. Single lens for maximum field of view. Extremely low volume, one of the lowest of any single lens mask I have ever seen. Flared out lens for very, very wide field of vision to the side and down--one of the best fields of view I have ever seen. Ultra-clear glass (like the Atomic). Frameless design for easy packing, great strap included, with a really wide section over the back of your head--solid as a rock (seems like a small thing, but it's really nice).

Price: about $75.00. Half of the Atomic, every bit as good. I was an atomic user for 15 years but this mask is distinctly better, and half the price to boot.

I loved Kinugawa's. Can't find them anymore.

Hi everyone. In the market for a new mask. Recommendations on some quality ones would be much appreciated! If you can let me know what's great about them as well, that would be awesome!

as others say get one that fits. BUT a problem that arises is that one that fits in store and using the suction technique and comfortability of fit does not work always. Its still hit or miss.

Us telling you a good brand wont help you at all.

I have a low volume Hollis M1 and it never leaks its awesome. I bought a second mask an Atomic which was over 120 bucks and suction was perfect and comfort was amazing I liked it far more than my Hollis. And EVERY single dive I used it on it leaked horribly. I tried it on 5 different dives. I knew I couldnt return it so I kept at it.

Finally had to admit defeat. Im going to buy a second hollis M1 frameless very soon. You always need 2 scuba masks for diving trips.

Scubapro Devil mask. Single lens for maximum field of view. Extremely low volume, one of the lowest of any single lens mask I have ever seen. Flared out lens for very, very wide field of vision to the side and down--one of the best fields of view I have ever seen. Ultra-clear glass (like the Atomic). Frameless design for easy packing, great strap included, with a really wide section over the back of your head--solid as a rock (seems like a small thing, but it's really nice).

Price: about $75.00. Half of the Atomic, every bit as good. I was an atomic user for 15 years but this mask is distinctly better, and half the price to boot.

Scubapro has discontinued this mask so parts may be an issue if someone buys it. I wouldnt recommend discontinued products for that reason myself. It sounds a lot like my Hollis M1 frameless though.

Scubapro has discontinued this mask so parts may be an issue if someone buys it. I wouldnt recommend discontinued products for that reason myself. It sounds a lot like my Hollis M1 frameless though.
You're worried about parts support for a mask?

You're worried about parts support for a mask?

yep. I had some fool on a liveaboard walk up one time after i took my mask off and said hey that looks way too tight on you let me help, and before I could say a word she picked it up, tugged on it, and parts flew everywhere. I loved that mask it was also expensive and I called for parts....discontinued.

Id only had the mask a few months.

So YEA absolutely. Not talking a cheap 50 or 80 dollar mask nor did I want to try to refit on other masks. Ive bought a mask that was 140 otd once and even after making sure it was comfy and airtight once in water it was worthless for my face shape.

Sometimes you want exactly what you had before because its the best. Same way I pick new.....um nevermind....

Low volume. Wide field of view. I have been very happy with my Atomic Frameless, but if I needed a new mask I'd try the similar but much cheaper DGX Ultra View.
DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask
I bought this one. I haven’t used it yet but all I can say is that I am very impressed. Excellent quality.

That's why I have accumulated three of them :)

Back
Top Bottom