How has the internet affected diving? Good/bad or both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good, Bad, who cares? But if I can perfect my internet based custom blend tank fill station, then I will make some dough. I just can't get the valve manufacturers to put a USB port in the valve, and bluetooth is not working. 5g, now that may be the ticket.

A solid, competitive, forward leaning business will survive.
More than that, they can thrive.
LeisurePro was never an LDS as far as I know.
I've actually met peeps here on SB that consider LP their LDS. There might even be a thread to that effect, but I can't find it now.

More than that, they can thrive.

I've actually met peeps here on SB that consider LP their LDS. There might even be a thread to that effect, but I can't find it now.

For vacation divers who don’t have to worry about fills where they live, I wouldn’t be surprised at that.

For vacation divers who don’t have to worry about fills where they live, I wouldn’t be surprised at that.
They have a compressor and have local peeps come in.

I wonder how New England Divers would have faired if they had made it to the internet age? They were my original supplier of equipment.

Good, Bad, who cares? But if I can perfect my internet based custom blend tank fill station, then I will make some dough. I just can't get the valve manufacturers to put a USB port in the valve, and bluetooth is not working. 5g, now that may be the ticket.
Air%20Modem-550px-B.jpg

I think the Internet is a GREAT source of learning and information. It's also a great source of misinformation and can be an incredible waste of time (you can define what wasting time is :)), but at the end of the day, it's just a tool to augment our lives and open up new possibilities.

It's what you make of it, and it does take a certain amount of discipline and effort to sift through some of the B.S., but on the whole (especially regarding diving) I've found that I have benefited greatly from the net. From being made aware of what's out there in terns of education, equipment, places to dive, articles of interest etc... as well as learning and seeing things from a different perspective from those with more experience (or any experience shared for that matter). It's also a great source for meeting some very cool people.

Definitely as far as I'm concerned it's been a good thing... but as always YMMV.
Problem is that you could get the same BS from your LDS and you had nothing to compare it with.

used to be you could leave the post dive pub like frivolity, but now it follows you home

I've been away so won't read all posts. Just will say that belonging to SB since 2007 has helped me quite a lot with dive info., so that has positively affected my diving. Other than that, I don't really think the internet has much to do with how I dive. I'd probably dive pretty much the same if it were 1980 I think.

The internet has been an excellent resource for my diving in regards to getting information about dive instructors, dive classes, dive gear, dive vacations, dive resorts, dive locations, and mostly dive buddies. The ease of connecting with divers, buddies, and instructors would not have been possible without the internet.

Joining SB in 2008 changed my life in ways I could not have foreseen, brought people in to my life who I would not have met, and I made life long dear friends. Yep, the internet has been good to me.

Back
Top Bottom