Bonaire - the questions not asked or thought about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got home from a week in bonaire. We did drive and dive thru buddy's. It is very easy to get around the island. The vehicles are manual transmission unless you request automatic. We do shore diving only and do 4 dives a day. Advice is to do the popular sites first thing in the morning before the boats arrive and you are with 20 people. Example hilma hooker and salt pier. Also wanted to second the comment to not skip the shallows. Some of our best creature sightings were above 30 feet.

I'm surprised there are boats at the sites available from shore, which operations are these? Dive Friends only does Klein Bonaire and north sites not accessible from shore.

$1800 per person with airfare is a very solid deal, particularly if that includes all of your food and some boat dives. That is a price that you can replicate yourself quite easily though, most any time of the year. Biggest expense for most people is the airfare, which is why many of us prefer staying for 2 or more weeks at a time, if possible.

Good to know about the viz in December. Maybe that will change my mind.

The $1800 does not include all meals. It does include daily breakfast - probably just a typical continental, right? It does include 6 1-tank boat dives. And Nitrox. And roundtrip transfer to/from airport, taxes, and service charges.

I've not yet booked it, but yeah, I imagine it is through Houston or Miami from what I've been told in person. The price drops to $1673 pp/quad. Both the $1800 and $1673 are at Buddy Dive Resort. Belmar is $1395 pp/quad and Caribbean Club is $1292 pp/quad.

I'm surprised there are boats at the sites available from shore, which operations are these? Dive Friends only does Klein Bonaire and north sites not accessible from shore.
They are generally only at the harder entry shore dives or ones with a longer surface swim. Like 1000 steps, karpata, hilma hooker

We stayed at buddy dive and they do a ton of dives all over The island. Remember that not everyone does shore packages or rents a vehicle.
Sorry, didn't know any of the operators commonly dived sites accessible from shore, thanks

Good to know about the viz in December. Maybe that will change my mind.

The $1800 does not include all meals. It does include daily breakfast - probably just a typical continental, right? It does include 6 1-tank boat dives. And Nitrox. And roundtrip transfer to/from airport, taxes, and service charges.

I've not yet booked it, but yeah, I imagine it is through Houston or Miami from what I've been told in person. The price drops to $1673 pp/quad. Both the $1800 and $1673 are at Buddy Dive Resort. Belmar is $1395 pp/quad and Caribbean Club is $1292 pp/quad.

buddy dive breakfasts are more than continental. They have a station to make omelets and waffles. Also buffet of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, potatoes, oatmeal, yogurt, fruits, deli meats and cheese, assorted bread and coffee and juices

buddy dive breakfasts are more than continental. They have a station to make omelets and waffles. Also buffet of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, potatoes, oatmeal, yogurt, fruits, deli meats and cheese, assorted bread and coffee and juices

Wow - okay! That's cool! This thread is making things more and more enticing!

actually Captain Don's does the same as far as shore sites, but you see where they are going and can decide where to go depending on the boat

Some random stuff I have learned. I always bring too many clothes - I think I am bringing one pair of underwear this time. I have brought major dive repair kits, full oring kits etc, the dive shops are so capable, I really didn't need to. Will just bring a dive tool to tighten something that gets loose and tank O-rings this time.

Bring bag of clothes pins and rope to set up an extra drying line, for some reason every room I have ever been in, there are not enough drying space for everything.

There is probably no need for a knife, I have never seen any fishing line of any sort (I will probably still bring one, you don't need a knife until you really need a knife)

Have one person go get the car as soon as they get off the plane, can avoid a slow line (we use avis). We normally meet up (the car is ready as folks walk out with their bags)

JJ

actually Captain Don's does the same as far as shore sites, but you see where they are going and can decide where to go depending on the boat

Some random stuff I have learned. I always bring too many clothes - I think I am bringing one pair of underwear this time. I have brought major dive repair kits, full oring kits etc, the dive shops are so capable, I really didn't need to. Will just bring a dive tool to tighten something that gets loose and tank O-rings this time.

Bring bag of clothes pins and rope to set up an extra drying line, for some reason every room I have ever been in, there are not enough drying space for everything.

There is probably no need for a knife, I have never seen any fishing line of any sort (I will probably still bring one, you don't need a knife until you really need a knife)

Have one person go get the car as soon as they get off the plane, can avoid a slow line (we use avis). We normally meet up (the car is ready as folks walk out with their bags)

JJ

Good tips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom