Brisbane In July !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
looks like I will be in Brisbane around July 2-12 (give or take). I got one recommendation to reach out to DiveDiveDive, but am looking for a little more info or pointers.

I do have my daughter meeting me there for the 5th-10th, we want to dive together, but I’m not apposed to catching a few extra dives before or afterwards.

Any input appreciated.

hi I dived with Sunreef at Mooloolaba just north of Brisbane for a couple of days and they were pretty good.

The water is cold in my opinion, it will be winter in July, so check the water temps and take appropriate exposure protection, it was 21C in December (summer time in Oz) when I dived there.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Great time to be in Brisbane, we get our best Vis in Winter. You might be looking at 18-21 Deg C, it rarely gets less than that I use a 7mm, possibly a 5mm. There is some very good diving Nth Stradbroke Island (Manta Lodge), Cook Island & 9 Mile (Tweed Seasports) and there are some other great diving spots out of Brisbane, hard to say exactly who will be going where and when. If you are lucky enough to get to 9 mile, I am certain you will enjoy it, lots of Grey Nurse Sharks around this time (also at Shark Alley, Nth Straddie). Anyways, have fun...

Plan on staying out of Brisbane itself, it's quite a long drive (1 hr plus) to dive areas. Plenty of nice places to stay on the sunshine coast. You could also travel down to Byron Bay/Brunswick heads to Julian Rocks. If you fly in through Sydney you can dive there for weedy sea dragons though the water will 15-16° range, but conditions can be good that time of year.

looks like I will be in Brisbane around July 2-12 (give or take). I got one recommendation to reach out to DiveDiveDive, but am looking for a little more info or pointers.

I do have my daughter meeting me there for the 5th-10th, we want to dive together, but I’m not apposed to catching a few extra dives before or afterwards.

Any input appreciated.
Dive Dive Dive is the best dive shop in the area, but it rarely organises trip.
The best trips are organised by Brisbane Scuba Brisbane Scuba Trips are usually on Saturday or Sunday, and they share the boat with Go Dive http://www.godive.com.au/
If you want to visit the ex-HMAS on the Sunshine Coast, than you have to drive ~90 km up on North and dive with Sunreef or Scuba world.
Another good location is Julian Rocks, but is in NSW (near Byron Bay) and you have a ~2 hours driving.
Water will be cold, and you will see a lot of whales and sharks because of that... It never gets colder than 19 degrees, so usually a 5mm plus a shark skin vest works for me...
Feel free to contact me directly for more info! :wink:

Dive Dive Dive is the best dive shop in the area, but it rarely organises trip.
The best trips are organised by Brisbane Scuba Brisbane Scuba Trips are usually on Saturday or Sunday, and they share the boat with Go Dive http://www.godive.com.au/
If you want to visit the ex-HMAS on the Sunshine Coast, than you have to drive ~90 km up on North and dive with Sunreef or Scuba world.
Another good location is Julian Rocks, but is in NSW (near Byron Bay) and you have a ~2 hours driving.
Water will be cold, and you will see a lot of whales and sharks because of that... It never gets colder than 19 degrees, so usually a 5mm plus a shark skin vest works for me...
Feel free to contact me directly for more info! :wink:

Thanks for the information. I do have an email out to DDD. We are used to diving 71*f (21.6) in Our springs, so I will either step up from our current 5mm or might even bring my drysuit, just depending on what surface air temps will be.

It sounds like July 6/7th will be our best bet.

If you have a drysuit you'll be alright then!
On the surface is usually very pleasant, even in the middle of the winter, especially if it a nice sunny day...
Sometimes the wind can be cold though, therefore I suggest you to bring a wind-protective jacket for the boating part and the SI...

The godive page seems skip over the July 6/7th weeeknd. I hope that doesn’t mean they don’t run a trip that weekend.

It might be that they haven't organised anything yet, or that the boat is used by Brisbane Scuba, or maybe is too far away from today...
I'd suggest to check later, and maybe there will be something organised...
I forgot one more option: Manta Lodge Scuba Diving Brisbane - Manta Lodge & Scuba Centre, North Stradbroke it's a dive shop located on Stradbroke island. You can also get some accommodation from them and spend a couple of days exploring the island which is beautiful (and it also has nice snorkelling area)...

I just spent 5 days a week or so ago on sunshine coast - id recommend hiring a car and driving to mooloolaba (1.5hours) and diving th hmas brisbane then driving to wolf rock (maybe another 1.5hr) and dive with the grey nurses sharks and mantas rays and if you have time drive to hervey bay and dive the hmas tobruk with dive hervey bay here is a shot of me on the hmas tobruk with a school of tuna

forget about ccr support its nitrox on the brisbane and air everyhwere else but not deep

Attachments

• tuna.jpg
    tuna.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 83

Back
Top Bottom