TSA and Ikelite batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tc_rain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I usually pack my Ikelite DS160 strobes with the batteries disconnected in my carry-on case. I was wondering if anyone has had any issues packing the strobes with batteries attached in their checked bags

Batteries in carry on - not in checked.

I have been refused boarding at Hong Kong airport with my battery pack at security. Took about half an hour for them to contact the pilot and allow me to board with them. Only time I have had issues, but I would not pack them in checked luggage - fire risk is significant.

First off the Ikelite Batteries are not Lithium Ion but NiMH and not a fire hazard or face airline restrictions. Print out an Ikelite Spec sheet and put a big NiMH label on the battery packs to make this visible if you have concerns. (Note: I think Ikelite did very briefly have a LiON option but they are not common. Ask for replacement if you have these.)

I've traveled with these for 15 years and never had a problem or concern. I do travel with other gear with LiON batteries like spotting lights and camera cells in my carry on bags and have never had a problem with those either.

The problem is untrained TSA staff. They don’t know the rules - and the rules change so much easier to refuse something. Have only had issues once over many trips but... once is too often.

Re fire risk I am more concerned that a device will turn on somehow and underwater lights etc generate a lot of heat. I separate the battery from the device, and then make sure that the batteries can’t short somehow. Overkill - perhaps.

I keep anything that looks like a battery out of my checked bags. Even NiMH. It is easier. No question about it. I don’t want someone rummaging through my stuff to pull it out unnecessarily and possibly losing something because something falls out or tempting anyone to take anything either.

I was just considering a large pelican case and checking my camera gear rather than placing it in my carry-on luggage. I am getting tired of fighting for the overhead bin space and then lugging the equipment through the airports while waiting on connections.

I was just considering a large pelican case and checking my camera gear rather than placing it in my carry-on luggage. I am getting tired of fighting for the overhead bin space and then lugging the equipment through the airports while waiting on connections.

It’s a risk vs convenience/benefit assessment you will have to make. The other side of it is you may get misrouted luggage, lost luggage, damaged equipment, stolen equipment, etc. Also remember that most airlines don’t cover electronics or camera equipment in the case of any of these issues in their carrier terms (aka fine print). It’s why they tell you not to check them. Additionally, even if they do, you would have to purchase excess coverage at check in because the reimbursement amount is quite limited and low. Also read the terms of coverage for travel insurance. That hassle far outweighs the hassle of carrying it around and finding overhead space and a gate check is better than a standard check if you can’t find space.

I have mine in a dedicated photo roller (Think Tank International 3.0) and really like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom