Should I get the discontinued Oceanic Geo 2.0 or go for something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about the Aqualung i300c as an option at $300 with the Bluetooth capability?

Is it that much different than the Oceanic?

I placed an order on Leisurepro for an Oceanic Geo 2.0 recently. The one in white was on backorder but I didn't mind waiting, but while I was waiting patiently for it to be restocked I received an email from customer service saying that "We are sorry to inform you that this item became discontinued from the manufacturer after your order was placed. Having said that, we can no longer fulfill your order completely."

The white is sold out on Leisurepro but titanium grey is still available. I've read many positive reviews about this computer and I find the design quite appealing too. Should I get it in the other color despite it being discontinued from the manufacturer? If not, what other models do you guys recommend? (I'm a recreational diver)
I bought a new Geo 2.0 during the "closes out sale" for $269.00 from LeisurePro with no sales tax and no shipping. The blue tooth upgrade is hardly a serious upgrade in my opinion . . . most people never go back and look at their logs on their computer.

The Geo 2 only has enough memory for about 25 logs. However, it is a great computer, and for the price, I'd go there instead of a Suunto anyday. :) You either have to be really good about doing logs as they happen or you will start losing logs - especially if you are doing any repetitive vacation diving.

I have a bluetooth capable dive computer (a Shearwater, but I digress) with a Veo 2 backup (no bluetooth) and I like that I can immediately download all the data right away to my phone log (depth, tank pressure, temperature, etc.) which can sync with the cloud. I do my logs right away after each dive while it's fresh in my head. My SAC/RMV is calculated for me and there is a handy graph on dive log which plots all the data in one place, including what my NDL time was at a particular point in time. I can log critters and it also links back to my photo time stamps at a particular time in the dive.

Should my primary computer crap out on me, I also have all my log data downloaded and I can use tables and look back on the dives to figure out my pressure group and residual. In my case, I can also use my backup dive computer.

In short, it depends how diligent you are, how much data you really like, and what your habits are. Are you a log everything after you get home kind of a person? If you're doing more than 25 dives on a trip, that won't work.

I bought a new Geo 2.0 during the "closes out sale" for $269.00 from LeisurePro with no sales tax and no shipping. The blue tooth upgrade is hardly a serious upgrade in my opinion . . . most people never go back and look at their logs on their computer.

Really? Maybe I'm again falling into that trap of believing that everyone else thinks like I do... :)

I couldn't fathom not downloading and saving my dive data. I consider it a requirement of a good diver. As an engineer, I spend a lot of time analyzing data, and would consider even one missing record abhorrent. If you don't do like me, you will die die die!!! :eyebrow:

Seriously though. You obviously don't, and I obviously do. I wonder what the masses do? I think I'll start a poll, but that will still be only the geeky scubaboard divers, not the general voting population.

UPDATE

Poll started: Do you download your dive computer data?

The Geo 2 only has enough memory for about 25 logs.

Just to be fair.....that's actually 25 logs at a 2 second sampling rate. I easily get 50 or more dives on my Geo2 at a 15 second sampling rate.

Just to be fair.....that's actually 25 logs at a 2 second sampling rate. I easily get 50 or more dives on my Geo2 at a 15 second sampling rate.

I set my Sherwood Vision, similar to the Geo 2, to 30 sec sampling, to get more saved logs. Unfortunately the air pressure sensor stopped working correctly after 20 dives...

The novelty at looking at every log has worn off, but I recently discovered a nice feature in Subsurface Dive Log: You can import photos and they'll populate into the depth graph. You can see at what depth you photographed the critters. There's even a time offset if you've forgotten to change the time in your dive computer and/or camera.

I've been doing a lot of research. To me it looks like the BT may not be all it's cracked up to be yet on an Aqualung. Looks like your download options via BT are pretty limited, while using a cable lets you download to many different software programs.

That is making me lean towards a computer and cable..... until the Bluetooth capabilities improve.

Amazon currently has the Geo 2 for $269. in white and slate grey. Limited quantities. Better hurry if you want one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom