Cook Islands - any rec not experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived there about 10 years ago. Best visibility I have ever had, at least 50 metres every dive. However, very disappointing diving, poor coral and little fishlife. I think the water is so clear there are little nutrients for coral/fish etc. Great place otherwise.

When I was there, a terrible crown of thorns event was ongoing.

I used to work/live in Rarotonga for 6 months in 2014/15. I'll agree with a comment earlier in the thread, that it is an amazingly beautiful island. One of the prettiest I was fortunate to call home for a while. A very friendly population.

Diving wise, I would certainly do a dive while you are there, but I wouldn't call it a dive destination as such. The diving has amazing visibility, some marine life, and mostly hard corals. The diving on the north side is mostly shallow-ish coral reefs ending at a drop-off. The south you dive the passages in the reef. These passages offer a good chance of seeing bigger life, very regular sightings of white-tip reef sharks, eagle rays, schools of jacks and barracudas.
Jun - Sep is the time for humpback whale encounters.

Dive operators on-island
The Dive Centre, The Big Fish - Rarotonga, Cook Islands - Padi 5 Star Dive Centre
Scuba dive the Cook Islands with Dive Rarotonga PADI 5* Centre
$99 2 dive special! PADI 5 Star IDC centre. FREE online learning with OW course

The Dive Centre and Dive Rarotonga are more on the SW side of the island, whereas Pacific divers is in Muri.

I'm not personally familiar with diving in Aitutaki, I'm led to believe is more shallower diving in general.

A must for top-side activities is the cross-island walk!

IAeynm3.jpg

Some favorites for a meal and drink: Vaiana 21.3 beach bar, Islander hotel for cheap happy hour cocktails, Muri night market, Shipwreck bar, Boogies on Friday night, then dance at Rehab, Saturday morning market in town, Castaway bar, dinner at Vaima (must), snacks at Charlie's, Maire Nui Gardens and Cafe.
Be aware that alcohol checks are very common at night, so if you plan on having a big night out use a taxi service or one of the private 'party busses' that continue the party while they bring you home after the bars close.

I wonder if Rarotonga is the place to dive or Aitutaki. Any suggestion?

Never dived here, but snorkeled around both a lot as my ex was from Aitutaki. I'd say Aitutaki is the better reef, and has quite a few accommodation options, all small family run affairs with a "no news no shoes" vibe. There's a handful of dive operators. It's a fantastic reef.

The island itself is quite conservative, the church is a *big* influence on the islands, much more so than in French Polynesia - def worth bearing in mind if you're not straight - the issue of LGBTQ rights in the Cook Islands caused a minor rift between them and New Zealand, the Cooks being an overseas territory of NZ.

All in all I wouldn't say the Cooks are worth it on their own as a standalone destination, but if you are there anyway for a stopover or on a business/family trip, then jumping on a rockhopper flight to Aitutaki and hitting the water for a few days is def a worthwhile. Otherwise, I'd say French Polynesia has more variety, both under and above the aqua.

Did a two tank dive with Bubbles Below Dive Center in Aitutaki three years ago while on a Paul Gauguin cruise. This was one of the few islands where Paul Gauguin used a local dive shop for their dives rather than their own onboard dive staff and RIBs. While not quite as good diving as Fakarava, it was still very nice. The vis was great, wildlife good, and the coral, mostly hard coral, was in very good shape. The dive op was excellent, and would not hesitate to use them again. My wife snorkeled there and said snorkeling in the shallow water over the reef was excellent. Both of us would happily go back to Aitutaki any time. At Roratonga, we rented a car and drove around this beautiful island, stopping at several places to snorkel off the beaches and just enjoy the beautiful scenery. The people on both islands were very friendly and kind.

Whilst Aitutaki is beautiful I wouldn't consider the cost of the puddle jump worth it from a dive only perspective. It is worth the visit none the less but if you were only doing this as a dive trip I would stay on raro and just do more dives there.

There isn't a big enough difference between the two destinations dive wise to justify the additional cost.

if you want any further info let me know

Cheers

Nate

Thanks for all the info, we have booked, we are going. Will provide a post trip report, in late July

if you hit raro you must have a burger from Vilis burger joint in muri beach, Across the road from the muri night market.

if you hit raro you must have a burger from Vilis burger joint in muri beach, Across the road from the muri night market.

Second that! Completely forgot to mention them, they opened just before I left island so happy I was able to try!

Second that! Completely forgot to mention them, they opened just before I left island so happy I was able to try!

I'll say one thing and that is no one ever leaves the Cook Islands skinner than they arrived - gotta love that food culture!

Im making ika mata on sunday whilst i dream of being back there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom