Deep Sea Supply status, May 2019 edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 2 months ago I ordered a 40 lbs Oxy Extreme single's wing, it arrived today. Jakub @ Golem Gear did alert me the item was on back order, and it wasn't an emergency such that I needed it immediately anyway. So it would appear DSS is still 'in production' and not out-of-business.

Why don’t people take Tobin at his word? He stated in another thread that he was done with it and would not be re opening.

I didn't see that particular memo, just the news he was relocating back to the USA from California, and that there would be a significant delay until the new facility was up and running once again.

About 2 months ago I ordered a 40 lbs Oxy Extreme single's wing, it arrived today. Jakub @ Golem Gear did alert me the item was on back order, and it wasn't an emergency such that I needed it immediately anyway. So it would appear DSS is still 'in production' and not out-of-business.

What does Oxycheq have to do with DSS? They are different companies.

Sometime soon I'm going to need a new BC for one of my daughters.

I already have three DSS BCs and would like to continue to use them for ease of parts interchange and because I like them.

Has anyone heard from Tobin? Is he still planning on resuming operations at some future point? Any idea when? If not, is there any chance that he'll end up selling to someone else who will?

Are there any other BP&W makers out there that use the same slot spacing so that the single-tank wings will interchange without the hassle of using a STA?
Yes there are other wings that are like that oxycheq for one oms another, you will just have to look at each of the manufacturers. the 2 i mentioned look identical

I had a 26# DSS torus wing that developed a leak recently. I ended up getting a DGX 30# single tank wing to replace it, and it is very nice (and has a zipper!). The wings are only $200 (actually I went ahead and got the whole package that included a backplate and webbing, so I can have a dedicated singles and doubles plate / harness).

The DGX wing fits on my DSS plate with no STA. I can use it with the cambands that I had from DSS (which I have never liked) or the ones that came with the DGX rig (which I prefer). You do have to unlace the cambands to take the rig apart, but it isn't much of a hassle. The DSS cambands always were hard for me to get snugged down, especially if they were dry. The DGX ones are much easier to get snug and I don't have to wet them.

I'm planning to write a review of the DGX package soon with some pics; I just wanted to put a couple more dives on it first. It's nice stuff and I'm very pleased. Plus, everyone knows that DGX has excellent customer service, even if it doesn't get mentioned as much as some of the other SB favorites. PM me if you have any questions.

I didn't see that particular memo, just the news he was relocating back to the USA from California, and that there would be a significant delay until the new facility was up and running once again.
I tried to find the thread but is impossible with all these threads speculating that he will Re-open. Last night I found a thread where someone posted a screen shot of a text exchange where he says he is out, I don’t have time to search for it at the moment. I guess everyone is hopeful he is just waiting for Santa Clause to slide down his chimney with some magical piece of missing equipment need to re open, or some other impossible feat performed by one imaginary friend or another.

I tried to find the thread but is impossible with all these threads speculating that he will Re-open. Last night I found a thread where someone posted a screen shot of a text exchange where he says he is out, I don’t have time to search for it at the moment. I guess everyone is hopeful he is just waiting for Santa Clause to slide down his chimney with some magical piece of missing equipment need to re open, or some other impossible feat performed by one imaginary friend or another.

I just can't understand why folks can't get over it and move on, the owner of the company has moved on but the fans haven't yet.

Why don’t people take Tobin at his word? He stated in another thread that he was done with it and would not be re opening.
I was not aware of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom