Night diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I blame your buddy 100%.
S/he has all the fault and hopefully learned a lesson, you were either insta buddies which means he bought a lotter ticket or you knew each other but there was no real pre-dive communication.
Easily avoidable situation by either
- going solo
- finding out in advance how people feel about the dive about to happen.

There's always more to the events. Here the extremes would be:
1- this is your first night dive and your buddy should be prepared to anything and everything. Or
2- this is your 1432nd dive and 90% of those you called it when marine life got close to you. (which is your right by the way) in this case he should've been prepared for you to call it.

Conclusion? Don't dive with this person again unless you have a real conversation on how you do things and don't compromise. You need to dive your dive in a way you're comfortable.

I would advise you not to go diving in cocos or the Bahamas :)

When night dives were allowed at Cocos you could see dozens of smaller sharks in a frenzy, churning up the reef and grabbing anything they saw. Occasionally big guys would show up and circle the scene right at the edge of the light, looking for a shark dinner.

Everyone has the right to abort a dive...and everyone has the right to choose who they get in the water with in the first place. Choose wisely when you can choose at all as it can have a material impact on how your dives unfold.

-Z

When night dives were allowed at Cocos you could see dozens of smaller sharks in a frenzy, churning up the reef and grabbing anything they saw. Occasionally big guys would circle the scene right at the edge of the light, looking for a shark dinner.

There are two sides to this though if we are honest...I wouldn’t ever dive with someone who got pissy about calling a dive for any reason at all and that is clearly poor form from your buddy in this instance, but I do think you should inform any future dive buddies that you are a bit skittish around big fish so they can ask you to find another partner if they choose.

One big boy scooted by him and in one move, swallowed a brand new sola 3800 from his loctite arm on his GoPro rig..just took it right off in a second...on the first day :) the poor guy was inconsolable...it was basically a $750 dive for him :)

Off topic, but this is one reason that I would never put anything worth more than a few bucks on a locline arm. They are terrible. If you have to use them, I recommend tying some cave line from the light to the tray, for just this reason. They don't only fail because of Tarpons!

Agree, they are entry level though...and for the first times you use them they aren’t terrible, before they get loose. Useful for macro lighting with gopros.

Agree, they are entry level though...and for the first times you use them they aren’t terrible, before they get loose. Useful for macro lighting with gopros.

I was stuck with them in Tulum this year for my new video lights (didn't have my regular gear). In addition to the risk of failure and losing your light if you don't use redundant cave line, the little hex nut in the base of one of them came lose during the dive, which meant that the light just swiveled around 360 degrees, and was unfixable underwater (unlike a standard ultralight arm clamp), rendering the whole rig useless for good video.

If you are going to spend $1500 on video lights, don't mount them on Locline.

Sorry for the thread hijack! Just thought it should be mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom