Bonaire - the questions not asked or thought about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barefooted with full foot fins nonetheless! I assume he ended the dive somewhere in Curaçao or Aruba.
Hence the curiosity. Also about the precarious cam-strap / tank placement. Might learn something...

Hence the curiosity. Also about the precarious cam-strap / tank placement. Might learn something...

My thoughts exactly! Probably was holding onto his second stage for dear life after his tank dropped to his ankles. You only live once...

Since this has turned into a general tips thread of sorts, I figured I would throw in another one.

Since it sounds like you haven't set a date yet, I would recommend trying to schedule your trip during a good time to see the Ostracods. I believe they are the most visible up to two weeks after a full moon, but a few days after is best. For reference, when we went the full moon was June 28 and we dove July 3.

The Ostracod dive is my favorite dive so far, and not only because of the light show. I loved that dive because it was so serene and quite fun to do a night dive without a light.

A great tip we got while we were on island was to start the Ostracod dive a few minutes before sunset and don't turn your light on at all, even when diving out to your chosen spot to watch them. This helps your eyes adjust quicker than if you used a light to start the dive and then turned it off to see the the Ostracods.

We are going again this year, same time frame; July 1 - July 8. Love that place!

Flight costs have become prohibitive for me. At $1500 for the flight alone I just can't justify it.

Since this has turned into a general tips thread of sorts, I figured I would throw in another one.

Since it sounds like you haven't set a date yet, I would recommend trying to schedule your trip during a good time to see the Ostracods. I believe they are the most visible up to two weeks after a full moon, but a few days after is best. For reference, when we went the full moon was June 28 and we dove July 3.

The Ostracod dive is my favorite dive so far, and not only because of the light show. I loved that dive because it was so serene and quite fun to do a night dive without a light.

A great tip we got while we were on island was to start the Ostracod dive a few minutes before sunset and don't turn your light on at all, even when diving out to your chosen spot to watch them. This helps your eyes adjust quicker than if you used a light to start the dive and then turned it off to see the the Ostracods.

We are going again this year, same time frame; July 1 - July 8. Love that place!

Yes, The ostracods are so amazing, but be careful with the jellyfish around the full moon.
https://www.facebook.com/Bonaire.ST...ull-moon-box-jel/917793901571180/93901571180/

I've got a question I've gotten mixed signals on. Everything I've read online or in dive guides to Bonaire say that you have to take the class to get your pass to dive, but they also say you're required to do a checkout dive as part of it. All of my friends who've gone to Bonaire weren't aware of this and said they never went and did a checkout. All of my buddies are cave divers, so maybe the operators just let it slide for them.
So is a checkout dive required? The only reason I ask is that we arrive late the first day and have to build and setup rebreathers and have to get sorb from the dive shop, which means we won't be able to do a dive until the afternoon of day 2.

I've got a question I've gotten mixed signals on. Everything I've read online or in dive guides to Bonaire say that you have to take the class to get your pass to dive, but they also say you're required to do a checkout dive as part of it. All of my friends who've gone to Bonaire weren't aware of this and said they never went and did a checkout. All of my buddies are cave divers, so maybe the operators just let it slide for them.
So is a checkout dive required? The only reason I ask is that we arrive late the first day and have to build and setup rebreathers and have to get sorb from the dive shop, which means we won't be able to do a dive until the afternoon of day 2.

I do believe a dive of sorts is required, but you could do the orientation first and the checkout dive later. In the group I go with, half the people have beers in their hands at orientation and therefore do the checkout dive the next day. It's just a brief orientation explaining that you're diving in a protected marine park, etc. As for the first dive, people often call it a "checkout" dive, but it's really just a weight check or whatever check to make sure you haven't forgotten anything, and at least the dive ops I have used don't stand there and watch you do it.

My wife and I have been to Bonaire 3 times in the last 16 months, Dive Friends gave us a pass

I do believe a dive of sorts is required, but you could do the orientation first and the checkout dive later. In the group I go with, half the people have beers in their hands at orientation and therefore do the checkout dive the next day. It's just a brief orientation explaining that you're diving in a protected marine park, etc. As for the first dive, people often call it a "checkout" dive, but it's really just a weight check or whatever check to make sure you haven't forgotten anything, and at least the dive ops I have used don't stand there and watch you do it.

Maybe that's the reason for hearing different things. If they don't stand over you or get in the water with you then my buddies probably just opted out. Based on what I read I thought it was an actual checkout dive with a staff member to make sure you won't kick coral. I may be over-reading

Back
Top Bottom