Trip Report: Passport to Paradise - N. Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with CiC. Each is unique. Accommodations were best in Lembeh but it’s only muck diving. Also, there is no point traveling halfway across the globe and missing out on some of the world’s best diving.

I should also add that this trip was a photographer’s paradise. Little to no current and mostly shallow depths. I would gladly go back to all three. The best diving destination that I’ve been to in 40 years.

Ssshhhhh, what are you doing?!! Sssshhhhh

SHHHHHHHH!!!

Some of us liked it better when the whole concept of wifi was a joke and you opened your window up from your bed to turn on the aircon and your cottage was ten steps from the ocean. When transport was difficult AF - I got dropped off on a beach by myself and motioned to wait for a boat solo and ended up being invited to join a local families bbq because they liked my nose. Because it is big, and they cannot wear eyeglass lol.

I spent a couple of weeks there with only one other couple - in all that time there was only one complaint - "The Ocean was too noisy last night"

Special isn't it ?

SHHHHHHHH!!!

Some of us liked it better when the whole concept of wifi was a joke and you opened your window up from your bed to turn on the aircon and your cottage was ten steps from the ocean. When transport was difficult AF - I got dropped off on a beach by myself and motioned to wait for a boat solo and ended up being invited to join a local families bbq because they liked my nose. Because it is big, and they cannot wear eyeglass lol.

I spent a couple of weeks there with only one other couple - in all that time there was only one complaint - "The Ocean was too noisy last night"

Special isn't it ?

The whole concept of WiFi is still a joke there. They advertise that Internet is available in the dining area. The manager has simply turned on his Hotspot and the first six lucky sods get "connected". Seriously it's fine to be incommunicado for a few days. BTW the house reef at Bangka is one of the best shore dives imaginable. I counted six giant clams in the coral heads. The stony coral formations are fabulous and the soft corals are quite amazing. I could have done that dive over and over. We spent about 120 minutes at 20-30 feet exploring paradise. Missing that place already.

Dude!!! Shhhhhshhhhhh Geez already

Impossible question. Finishing at Lembeh Resort just completes things perfectly. The food, the facilities and the accommodation so far exceed the other two. There's no prettier view and setting than at Bangka. Murex Manado is the easiest to reach but for me, the diving at Bunaken is not on par, walls and turtles aside.

Nope, there's nothing for it but to do all 3 on the Passport to Paradise.

I do stay longer on one leg than on the others and that's all I'm saying about that. My lip is zipped.

If you only want to do one place, and would like a little better accommodations, consider Gangga Island Resort. Gangga Island is a small island next to Bangga Island. Most of the diving is around Bangga Island with optional day trips to Lembah and Bunaken.

Sssshhhhh, what are you doing? You aren't supposed to tell anyone about this.

(I've done it 3 times and really missed this past season)

Last time was 2015 when they first started the concept, only 3 of us on the trip and it was awesome. I'm glad to hear that it's still an option perhaps next year if I can find the right buddy for a July trip

Hmm, I've never been to Banka and was thinking about a Lembeh trip in November so now I just may give it a try.

Anyone know what the typical conditions in November are like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom