Cheap-ish Torches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there, after losing my Tovatech torch in truly idiotic style I purchased a cheaper replacement through a well known online market place. The "brand" is Volador (Chinese) and the description reads thus..

- Volador 2000 Lumens LED Scuba Diving Flashlight, Rechargeable Waterproof Underwater Flash Light Torches, 150 Meters Submersible Lights with 2X 18650 Battery and Charger -

Does anyone have any experience of these and, if so, what do you reckon to them?

I can't speak to the that particular light, but I have one of these

Piranha Dive Black Star 1000 Lumen Dive Light with Battery & Charger , Piranha Dive Shop |

And am totally happy with it. Great performance for the price. It's been on about 20 dives so far. And honestly, at 1k lumens, it is almost too bright UW at night, I use medium brightness most of the time.

If you get the one you linked to, please do a follow up for us :thumb:

I can't speak to the that particular light, but I have one of these

Piranha Dive Black Star 1000 Lumen Dive Light with Battery & Charger , Piranha Dive Shop |

And am totally happy with it. Great performance for the price. It's been on about 20 dives so far. And honestly, at 1k lumens, it is almost too bright UW at night, I use medium brightness most of the time.

If you get the one you linked to, please do a follow up for us :thumb:

I will make sure that I do, thanks for the feedback.

Hi there, after losing my Tovatech torch in truly idiotic style I purchased a cheaper replacement through a well known online market place. The "brand" is Volador (Chinese) and the description reads thus..

- Volador 2000 Lumens LED Scuba Diving Flashlight, Rechargeable Waterproof Underwater Flash Light Torches, 150 Meters Submersible Lights with 2X 18650 Battery and Charger -

Does anyone have any experience of these and, if so, what do you reckon to them?

Not the same model, but I bought a couple of the Volador 1000 Lumen torches (https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-Flashlight-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Submersible/dp/B01LZLWZWT) 1-1/2 years ago. Reasonably priced (if it is lost or dies there is little to cry over) and I wanted the rear push-button style (limited options on that).

Build quality seems good. I really have only had one opportunity to use it night diving, in nice clear Cozumel water, and "Low" was perfectly sufficient. Otherwise, one rides with me in a BC pocket (actually now a Sea-Soft retractor holster) all of the time. So far no issues down to 90ish feet.

From what I saw on the Amazon description (https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-Flashlight-Underwater-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B07G2DQX83) The 2K light is Full-
Power (2000lm) only. Might be awfully bright if you are close to your "subject" in clear water.

Looks like I will be the first to chime in with Dive Gear Express DGX 600 and 800 lights. We have 4 and have abused them for over 2 years each. Same battery's, same chargers, and I may wipe a little grease on the orings once a year. For $50-$60, they are probably some of the best scuba products I have purchased.

For some weird reason, the batteries keep lasting longer over time. When they were new, we would get about 50 minutes of run time. Our last trip my 800 lasted 70 minutes and the 600 lasted 90 and was still going when we finished the dive.

Diving LED Lights | Dive Gear Express®

Good luck,
Jay

I've got a small stockpile of dive lights... they're something I enjoy playing with. The cheapest lights I've got are 1000 lumen dive lights with plastic handles from ebay. I'm pretty sure they're 3 years old now. I only take them on about 10 dives a year.. My kids and nieces/nephews play with them in the pool as well. Generally when I'm going with a group and might need to lend a light out I'll bring these cheapies. That way if it gets lost/broken/stolen I don't have to sweat it. I've never had them beyond 100', but they were fine to that depth.

The thing about LED based dive lights is they're simple enough to manufacture. The only thing I've ever really had that failed due to "bad design" was a magnetic switch on a dive light. The magnet was held in place with a steel spring which promptly rusted away to nothingness. Some lights have better electronics, some have better LED chips, some have better optics, or better battery solutions. 18650 is the most common rechargeable in the world. The best advice I can give you is to order some good batteries and a decent charger for them. Avoid anything with "fire" in the name (e.g. ultrafire, superfire, etc). Those typically are awful batteries.

As others have said, take it apart when you first get it and make sure the o-rings are clean and well greased. Then the lights will probably be just fine. They may not be top of the line, but they're likely to do the job well.

For night dives, 2000 lumens is probably WAY more light than you'll really want. It will require some effort on your part not to blind the rest of your dive group. Generally you'll have to put your hand over the light head to dim it or figure something else out. Usually LED lights have a dim function, so use that.

Re: pirhana - I've bought a number of items from them and always had a good experience.

I like using my BigBlue 1200 Lumen. It is not the cheapest torch but very good quality.

Not the same model, but I bought a couple of the Volador 1000 Lumen torches (https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-Flashlight-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Submersible/dp/B01LZLWZWT) 1-1/2 years ago. Reasonably priced (if it is lost or dies there is little to cry over) and I wanted the rear push-button style (limited options on that).

Build quality seems good. I really have only had one opportunity to use it night diving, in nice clear Cozumel water, and "Low" was perfectly sufficient. Otherwise, one rides with me in a BC pocket (actually now a Sea-Soft retractor holster) all of the time. So far no issues down to 90ish feet.

From what I saw on the Amazon description (https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-Flashlight-Underwater-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B07G2DQX83) The 2K light is Full-
Power (2000lm) only. Might be awfully bright if you are close to your "subject" in clear water.

Appreciate the feedback and review of the 1000, I was tempted to go the same route but thought the 2000 might be better for my training dives in the (really dark) waters of the Lake District, where viz is sometimes -1 m depending on silt levels. I've yet to try it out but am looking forward to my first dive with it to see how it compares with my late Fusion 1000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom